Old 13-04-2008, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to do with siberian squll?

I was surprised a couple of days ago to see quite a lot of pretty blue
flowers pop up right outside my side door (in the path of course). On
investigation I found that they were Siberian Squill. Have no idea
how they got there. The location is such that they are going to get
trampled if I leave them there (so far I've managed to remember that
they were there but I have ADHD and I know that I'm going to forget)
and I'd like to keep them, just in another location, so I'm wondering
if there's any way to proceed from here other than marking them and
digging up the remains in the Fall. If marking them and moving them
later is the only option, does anybody have any ideas how to mark
their locations in such a way that the markers won't also get
trampled?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 13-04-2008, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

--

I'd move them right now. Perhaps only half if this is faulty advice.

Bill who has red markers all over telling me to pay attention or do some
thing. Some are two years old ).

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 13-04-2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "J. Clarke"
wrote:

I was surprised a couple of days ago to see quite a lot of pretty blue
flowers pop up right outside my side door (in the path of course). On
investigation I found that they were Siberian Squill. Have no idea
how they got there. The location is such that they are going to get
trampled if I leave them there (so far I've managed to remember that
they were there but I have ADHD and I know that I'm going to forget)
and I'd like to keep them, just in another location, so I'm wondering
if there's any way to proceed from here other than marking them and
digging up the remains in the Fall. If marking them and moving them
later is the only option, does anybody have any ideas how to mark
their locations in such a way that the markers won't also get
trampled?

--

Round here the siberian squill bloomed many weeks ago and now the english
bluebells are bursting forth. If what you've got really is siberian

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 14-04-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

[...]

Do I dig up the individual plants and transplant them bare-root or do
I take a posthole digger and try to move a whole clump of them to a
different posthole in a single big plug? Note that they appear to be
very small plants but I don't know what's underground. Seriously, I'm
very new at this gardening thing.

Old 14-04-2008, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Bill wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

[...]

You must learn by mistakes. Sometimes it works some times it don't.
There is no manual.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 14-04-2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

I planted mine in the walk. surprisingly they dont die from being trampled. Ingrid
Old 14-04-2008, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"J. Clarke" expounded:

Do I dig up the individual plants and transplant them bare-root or do
I take a posthole digger and try to move a whole clump of them to a
different posthole in a single big plug? Note that they appear to be
very small plants but I don't know what's underground. Seriously, I'm
very new at this gardening thing.

Keep the rootball together. Dig a hole first, then take a good
shovelfull all around the clump and try to replant it in the new hole
with as little root disturbance as possible. If you get enough earth
around them they won't even blink! They're tough little buggers,
they'll be fine.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

[IMG] code is On

Daylilies and Siberian Iris zxcvbob Gardening 5 09-09-2003 02:42 PM
[IBC] Siberian Crab Dylan Blew Bonsai 1 30-05-2003 04:32 PM
Siberian Iris Gloria Gardening 3 27-05-2003 05:08 PM
Siberian tomatoes? poppy seeds Jan Flora Edible Gardening 2 31-03-2003 05:08 AM
Siberian Lavender vericaulk Gardening 2 30-03-2003 02:32 AM