Old 23-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Beth Pierce

Default Norweigian Fir Tree Problems

I have two Norweigian Firs that line my driveway. One has a
problem. About a foot and a half above the base there are
small holes that go in a row; not completely around the
tree. The holes are the same size and about the size of a
small acorn from a live oak tree (elongated, not fat).
About another six feet up, there is another group of the
same holes. These holes have sap coming out of them. Is
this some kind of insect or is it a man-made problem? If it
were man-made, would the holes harm the tree if there was
sap coming out? If it were an insect, what kind is it and
how should the tree be treated?

Old 23-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Marley1372

It is probably not an insect unless you have giant mutant insects from another
planet that make holes that big. Try looking up some information on
woodpeckers or yellow bellied sapsuckers.

Toad
Old 24-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Beth Pierce

Forgive my ignorance, but don't woodpeckers eat larvae?
Would this mean that there is an insect in the tree? I was
thinking woodpeckers but what kind of bug would be in the tree?

Old 24-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Beth Pierce

Ah, forget the woodpeckers; I did a Google search on yellow
bellied sapsuckers and they are common to my
area--Pennsylvania. Thanks for the info.

Old 25-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Marley1372

Just because woodpeckers are looking in your tree for insects dosent mean there
are any there. Birds have teeny little brains and they are quite stupid.

Toad