Old 16-04-2003, 04:44 PM
K30a

Default starling/hawk/seagull/frog in the fir tree

We have had a mystery here the past two weeks.

We keep hearing a hawk. We go out onto the deck and
there is no hawk circling overhead. But we still hear it.
From the fir tree.

Then we heard a seagull. They usually like to eat the
cherries but there are no cherries out now. And no
seagull to be seen. Just a seagull call coming from
the fir tree.

Then we hear a frog. But the frog should be
in the bog if he is calling and there is no frog
in the bog. The frog call is coming from the fir
tree.

So youngest son and I decided to stake out the
fir tree. We watched it for half an hour. The only
birds in the tree were the magpies, who are building
a nest, and four starlings.

Hmmmmmm.
I've actually heard and seen a mocking bird when
we visited the U of Tennessee. This particular mocking
bird liked to mimic a car alarm at 5am outside our
window.

But we don't have mocking birds here so could it
be the starlings?
Went to our big book of birds and sure enough
the book reports that male starlings are good
mimics.

So that explains the zoo in our fir tree.

k30a
Old 16-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Kewl! Around here, all they do is chase you from their nests, which are
always built where there's activity. But we also have wild parrots, and they
do a pretty good job of doing imitations of the local fauna . . .we never
quite know what to look for. Makes it interesting . . .

Lee

"K30a" wrote in message

We have had a mystery here the past two weeks.

We keep hearing a hawk. We go out onto the deck and
there is no hawk circling overhead. But we still hear it.
From the fir tree.

Old 16-04-2003, 10:44 PM
JohnB

We had a duck and a telephone apparently roosting in one of our trees -
starlings again!

JohnB

"K30a" wrote in message

We have had a mystery here the past two weeks.

We keep hearing a hawk. We go out onto the deck and
there is no hawk circling overhead. But we still hear it.
From the fir tree.

Old 19-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Mary Alice Kropp

We had a mockingbird a number of years ago who spent way too much time
outside the open bedroom window of the teenage boy next door- that bird
could do a video game so well you'd think it had a Playstation up in that
tree!

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 1/30/03

Testosterone is a great equalizer. It turns all men into morons.
- Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Pack

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
-- Vince Lombardi

Old 19-04-2003, 02:20 AM
K30a

Mary Alice wrote that bird
could do a video game so well you'd think it had a Playstation up in that
tree!

That is too funny!
I'd like one to sit out youngest son's window and act like a car alarm to get
him up in the morning!

k30a

Old 19-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

K30a wrote:
Mary Alice wrote that bird

could do a video game so well you'd think it had a Playstation up in that
tree!

That is too funny!
I'd like one to sit out youngest son's window and act like a car alarm to get
him up in the morning!

k30a

We had one that would mimic our alarm clock. DH really
hated that bird on the weekend! I always thought it was
amusing to see him run to the alarm clock and find it wasn't
ringing ;-)

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 19-04-2003, 10:20 PM

well our new cockatiel , the mouth from the south I bought in Mobile, successfully
smuggled aboard the train and got all the way to Chicago before being discovered!
must have been buddied up with a mockingbird cause he does a MB repertoire to
perfection!!!! Ingrid