Old 06-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Default getting rid of sycamores

Hi

We bought a house last year and 4 syacmores growing on the borders just inside the neighbours gardens. They have not been planted, just growing basically as weeds. The previous owner cut them down to the ground and tried to poison the stump, but failed and now 3 have grown up as lots of thin trunks, the tallest about 10-12 foot tall. The other was not cut and is therefore only one trunk

So my questions are - for the single trunk, how low down do I have to ring it to kill it?
For the others - how can I kill them?! Is poisoning the only way, and if so whats the best (legal) one, and how do I apply it?

Thanks
Katherine
Old 06-05-2008, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 6 May 2008 12:39:30 +0100, KatherineF
wrote:

Hi

We bought a house last year and 4 syacmores growing on the borders just
inside the neighbours gardens. They have not been planted, just growing
basically as weeds. The previous owner cut them down to the ground and
tried to poison the stump, but failed and now 3 have grown up as lots
of thin trunks, the tallest about 10-12 foot tall. The other was not
cut and is therefore only one trunk

So my questions are - for the single trunk, how low down do I have to
ring it to kill it?
For the others - how can I kill them?! Is poisoning the only way, and
if so whats the best (legal) one, and how do I apply it?

Thanks
Katherine

Why ring it? Cut it down 2-3 times a year. After 2 years it should
be dead.

I have three "wild" large sycamore trees and enjoy them very much. The
trunk bark patterns are interesting especially during the winter
months. They don't seem to need any special care and appear to be
disease resistant.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Phisherman
writes
wrote:

[...]

Depending on where she is, she may be referring to Acer pseudoplatanus,
and not to Platanus sp. Your message reads as if it is referring to the
latter.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

KatherineF wrote:
Hi

We bought a house last year and 4 syacmores growing on the borders just
inside the neighbours gardens. They have not been planted, just growing
basically as weeds. The previous owner cut them down to the ground and
tried to poison the stump, but failed and now 3 have grown up as lots
of thin trunks, the tallest about 10-12 foot tall. The other was not
cut and is therefore only one trunk

So my questions are - for the single trunk, how low down do I have to
ring it to kill it?
For the others - how can I kill them?! Is poisoning the only way, and
if so whats the best (legal) one, and how do I apply it?

Sycamore/planetree are valuable trees... they grow huge so the only
legitimate reason for removal is that there isn't enough room.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered User

Thanks for your replies, I'll be starting to chop them back this weekend

I don't quite understand why you say sycamores are valuable and should not be got rid of... They are weeds that grow all over where I live. I aim to kill off all the weeds in my garden in order to make it into a place where I can sit and enjoy being out doors and where I can grow plants for food. If I don't get rid of whats there, I can't do this

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

KatherineF wrote:
Thanks for your replies, I'll be starting to chop them back this
weekend

I don't quite understand why you say sycamores are valuable and should
not be got rid of... They are weeds that grow all over where I live. I
aim to kill off all the weeds in my garden in order to make it into a
place where I can sit and enjoy being out doors and where I can grow
plants for food. If I don't get rid of whats there, I can't do this

Sycamores are valuable landscape trees, they provide wonderful shade
in summer and are quite striking in winter... but they do become
immense so you need to have plenty of space for them to grow.
Sycamores don't propagate readily from seed nor from runners, are you
certain they're sycamores? They grow relatively fast but not so fast
that they'd shade a garden within your lifetime. I planted two
seedlings five years ago, they were three foot twigs, now they are
about ten feet tall but nowhere near mature size... it'll be another
20 years before I'll be able to sit in their shade, and still won't be
more than a mere shadow of their future self... I'm sure I won't be
around to see them become real trees. No one plants a sycamore for
themself, you plant them for your great grands. Unless you have a
third acre per tree then yes, move them or remove them.

Sycamores:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
Sheldon writes
KatherineF wrote:
[...]

She's probably talking about Acer pseudoplatanus (Sycamore in British
English), rather than Platanus sp. (Sycamore in American English). I
don't wholly share the negative attitude to the former that's prevalent
in certain quarters in Britain, but think of the American attitude to
Paulownia, and you'll have an idea.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

[IMG] code is On

Sycamores Brooklyn1 Gardening 1 17-08-2011 09:44 PM
Sycamores leaves turning Blue Gardening 3 01-09-2004 12:18 AM
Planting under common sycamores Mike United Kingdom 5 24-07-2004 12:18 PM
medium sized tree to replace two sycamores......... gaychub United Kingdom 2 15-06-2004 01:06 PM
killing sycamores Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 5 05-03-2003 04:38 PM