Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered User

Default Phoenix roebelenii. Pygmy date palm.

my pygmy date palm ,Phoenix roebelenii got frosted in the winter. all the leaves have gone brown. i have repotted it , the roots seem healthy. has it died or will it recover?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cordyline. Cut the top off.

On 5/8/2008 2:46 AM, marshal wrote:
Hi everyone.
I did a little experiment on a small cordyline, cutting off the top to
see of it would sprout from the trunk.....well it did. I wanted to do
this before I tackled my prize specimin...a 20ft tall single stemmed
cordyline. Well last night I cut about 7ft off the top.

My question is this. The part i cut off has a trunk of about 4"
diameter. i have trimmed some of the lower leaves giving me a 12"
trunk, and planted it into the ground with a bit of general fertiliser.
it there any chance at all that the top will root and grow??

it seemed such a shame to chop it up and compost it. i thought it would
be worth a go.

Fertilizer in the potting mix will promote rot before it roots. Try
rooting it first, in a small container with a mix of half peat moss and
half coarse sand and without any fertilizer at all. After it's rooted,
then move it to a properly sized container with a mix that contains a
light amount of nutrients.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 13-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal View Post
my pygmy date palm ,Phoenix roebelenii got frosted in the winter. all the leaves have gone brown. i have repotted it , the roots seem healthy. has it died or will it recover?

Well the frost didn't kill it. i cut all the frongs off flush to the crown. Repotted it. Gave it some liquid feed. The frongs have started growing. they have grown an 1" in two days. Theres life in the old bugger yet.
Old 13-05-2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/13/2008 1:56 AM, marshal wrote:
marshal;789979 Wrote:
my pygmy date palm ,Phoenix roebelenii got frosted in the winter. all
the leaves have gone brown. i have repotted it , the roots seem
healthy. has it died or will it recover?

Well the frost didn't kill it. i cut all the frongs off flush to the
crown. Repotted it. Gave it some liquid feed. The frongs have started
growing. they have grown an 1" in two days. Theres life in the old
bugger yet.

What is a "frong".

Old 30-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Sussex, UK
Unhappy

I have a baby Phoenix Roebelenii, which looks incredibly unhealthy due to stress, as i wasnt completely sure how to take care of it as one source would say it has to be placed in a bright room with indirect sunlight, others would suggest the oppersite ~ that it should be in full direct sunlight.. yada.. yada.. i have repotted the plant and pruned the dead frongs. its in such a poor state that im hopeing it still has life in it. could someone advise me on what i should be doing ~ takeing proper care of this lovely plant ??

Old 31-05-2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 30, 2:33 pm, StarDust
wrote:
I have a baby Phoenix Roebelenii, which looks incredibly unhealthy due
to stress, as i wasnt completely sure how to take care of it as one
source would say it has to be placed in a bright room with indirect
sunlight, others would suggest the oppersite ~ that it should be in
full direct sunlight.. yada.. yada.. i have repotted the plant and
pruned the dead frongs. its in such a poor state that im hopeing it
still has life in it. could someone advise me on what i should be doing
~ takeing proper care of this lovely plant ??

--
StarDust

Oh, please, I just have to reply:
The leaf of a palm (also a fern)
is called a "frond"
Love the "frong" bit, but it's not a word
..............yet. It seems to be becoming one
though.

Emilie

[IMG] code is On

Pygmy Date Palm Deany Gardening 3 26-07-2012 04:45 PM
Is this a Pygmy Date Palm ? john smile United Kingdom 3 17-05-2009 07:39 PM
Phoenix Roebelenii -Pygmy Date Palm Blairadamwitch Gardening 1 09-06-2008 03:20 PM
Phoenix roebelenii. Pygmy date palm Blairadamwitch United Kingdom 0 08-06-2008 03:47 PM
Reducing Pygmy Date Palm ? Magnusfarce Lawns 0 17-06-2005 06:30 AM