Old 14-05-2008, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moon Maple problem

Hello!
My 5 year old Moon Maple has 2 branches on one side where the leaves
have not opened up.The rest of the tree has got only healthy looking
beautiful leaves.If anyone knows what it could be.Pls.post. I am quite
worried about the tree.
Thanx.
Sandra
Old 14-05-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
pbein wrote:

Hello!
My 5 year old Moon Maple has 2 branches on one side where the leaves
have not opened up.The rest of the tree has got only healthy looking
beautiful leaves.If anyone knows what it could be.Pls.post. I am quite
worried about the tree.
Thanx.
Sandra

First thing I'd is step about the trunk to insure rodent damage is not
occurring. I lost a few this way and it is now my second nature to step
about any plant looking frail.
Moon maples are beautiful. Good luck!

Bill

http://www.backyardgardener.com/jap.html

Above url has some bad links.

http://www.japanesemaples.com/

http://www.miyamaasianmaples.com/

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 14-05-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

I had a beautiful lace leaf maple for 12 years that started doing that. The
first year two branches didn't open their leaves I was only mildly
concerned. The leaf buds dried up and crumbled off so I just pruned the two
dead branches thinking they'd somehow gotten damaged during the winter. By
fall leaves on about a third of the branches were not looking too good. The
following spring it hardly had any leaves opening at all. I took a branch,
with unopened leaves to plant guru at my nursery and was told it was either
Verticillium or Fusarium Wilt. It's a soil born fungus. Most likely it was
there when you planted the tree. The fungus can lie dormant for many years
until it gets optimal conditions to grow. Unfortunately there is no cure and
nothing you can do to save the tree. You might want to check with a good
nursery to see if this is what you have. Watering and fertilizing only will
make things worse. Acers are particularly susceptible to demise from this
soil fungus.

If, by chance this is what you have, and if your tree dies no matter what
you do, be very careful what you plant in that area and make sure it (and
others besides maples) is resistant to this nasty stuff.

Val

Old 16-05-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.