Old 15-05-2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Our First Garden -- Help?

Greetings!

I have always wanted a garden filled with fruits and veggies, but for
the last 16 years, ever since I left my parent's home, I've been living
in apartments and was unable to grow anything, as I didn't have room or
land (not even a balcony!).

Thankfully, my situation has changed radically and now myself and my
fiance are buying our first home. Right now, there is nothing in the
(very sunny) yard but some scrub bushes in one corner. Between the chain
link fence to the rear of the property and the alley there is a
rectangular plot of land about 4'x10' which I was hoping to use for
zuchinni, peppers (bell and jalepeno), the tomato plant (since there's
only two of us we figure one plant will be plenty --same for the zukes)
and the watermelon. My fiance wants to try watermelon! The yard itself
is slightly sloped and faces north/south. Virtually all of it is sunny
all the time, except for the front of the house which is in shade due to
the house itself. The front yard is mostly sunny except where it butts
up against the house, which is constantly shady.

We want to plant shade loving flowers up against the front of the house,
and sun loving flowers (including some lilacs against the chain link
fence on the one side, and roses on the other side, just to provide a
bit of privacy) in the back. We're going to plant two raspberry plants
on the fence on the other side of the rectangular plot, and plant the
strawberries in the corner.

Our region is 4a. Will we still be able to plant if we don't move into
our home until mid-June? That's the big question I have right now. I've
never been in charge of my own garden and I don't know how late you can
put plants in the ground.

There are already some chives growing along the path to our detached
garage, I was considering planting some more herbs along the path, but I
don't know which ones will thrive in full sun.

We also have a dog, a standard Poodle, and whatever we plant will need
to be dog friendly (and able to deal with being stepped on, that's why
the veggies are outside the fence, by the alley!). She has been known to
eat socks, underwear and Kleenex and I don't doubt that she'll try to
nibble on stuff outside!

I would be very grateful if I could get answers to these questions.
Research online seems to say how to grow, but not when to plant, or
what's dog safe.

The Camp Cook
www.clanntartan.org
Old 15-05-2008, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 14, 10:03 pm, Camp Kitchen wrote:
[...]

A partial list of common plants known to be toxic to dogs is available
at http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...cc_toxicplants
Note that tomato plants (the green parts) are on the list.

Know how exciting it is to finally have your own soil to dig in, but
suggest you might want to scale down your plans a bit if you're really
only dealing with a
4 x 10 plot. Zuchinni and watermelon plants take up really
significant space - you might want to re-think planting them. Given
the early first frost date in your area (4a), you're probably better
off waiting until next year to plant a major veggie garden if you're
not moving until mid-June.

Herbs are a favorite of mine and any of the Mediteranean herbs love
the sun, but still need regular watering. Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme,
Lavender, Marjoram, and Basil could go in in mid-June if you buy
established plants at a nursery. Don't be tempted by mint - it can be
very invasive.

There is a ton of good information available on the internet for
novice gardeners, but don't forget your county agricultural extension
office - they're usually a terrific resource, with information
specific to your area, and great free advice. They'll give you
pointers on how to prepare that plot of yours - that's half the trick
to successful gardening.

Nancy T
Old 15-05-2008, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Camp Kitchen" wrote in message
. ..
Greetings!

I have always wanted a garden filled with fruits and veggies,

Thankfully, my situation has changed radically and now myself and my
fiance are buying our first home.

We want to plant ......... Our region is 4a. Will we still be able to
plant if we don't move into our home until mid-June? That's the big
question I have right now. I've never been in charge of my own garden and
I don't know how late you can put plants in the ground.

We also have a dog I would be very grateful if I could get answers to
these questions. Research online seems to say how to grow, but not when to
plant, or what's dog safe.

I think you're really going to be more overwhelmed than you realize with
being a novice homeowner. My suggestion is to do very little with any of
your garden this year but to discover, clean, mow and maintain. Get to
really know what's there and take this time to educate yourselves. FIND THE
LIBRARY!! You just may have more in your garden than you know. Long
neglected gardens often have all kinds of interesting things pop out of the
ground in the most unexpected places as seasons unfold. Get a tablet of
graph paper and draw a master plan of your property with house, garage,
fences, plots and walks marked. As the year progresses mark in what you've
found, what goes, stays, or moves. Visit nurseries and public gardens in
your area, walk the neighborhood, make notes of what you like. Make friends
with the neighbors who have gardens you like. Find the Farmer's Market this
year instead of a veggie bed. Your first summer months, although pretty late
to do major plantings will be an excellent time to start building the bones
of your garden. Groom and/or reshape the beds, get the lawn up to snuff,
start your compost pile/bins, start to put in any patio or garden structures
you decide you might want.

You'll find that your dog will also establish a garden pattern. They tend to
always make the same beeline when you let them out the door, don't plant
there, resistance is futile. By fall you'll know Bowser's paths for 'gotta
go now', 'need to always sniff/dump/pee here' and 'this is where I run and
trample when somebody drives down the ally, mailman arrives, neighbor slams
a door'.

This winter when the snow is deep you'll have your plan of the property
drawn out, heads full of ideas, some accrued knowledge of your domain and a
more realistic idea of what it's going to take to create and maintain your
yard and gardens. You might even have some good reference books in your
home. Actually going to the library and perusing the garden books will give
you an excellent idea of what will work best to help you, then you purchase
your favorites to use for future reference when you're sitting in your new
living room wearing bunny slippers while the snow falls. The internet is
great but it still can't beat a good garden book in your lap or on the
kitchen table IMO. One of the best resources you can have is a face to face
talk with other local gardeners. You need to get off your duff and make
gardening friends, the REAL kind. This computer is fantastic but it won't do
for you what up close and personal contact will. There is a fantastic book
store in Minneapolis, http://www.terracehorticulturalbooks.com/index.cfm .
Don't you live in that area? Check it out in person if you have a chance. I
was in there once when I was visiting friends. The people who run this place
are a font of helpful information. You will leave with all kinds of
knowledge and hopefully a few good books you'll be using for years to come.
Gardening people first, then books, use the internet for back up. Gardening
people love to pass on information just as we do in Wreck gardens, but it's
even so much better in person.

It's understandable that you are enthused about your first home and garden
and want to do everything NOW but take a deep breath, slow down and step
back. Gardens are built over years, not months.

Val

Old 15-05-2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Camp Kitchen wrote:

[...]

I have 2 dogs and 5 cats (due to events beyond my control). The pets all
nibble to some extent but the main damage comes from thoughtless
enthusiasm as the dogs trample nurtured plans into the ground. My
only success in protecting the garden has come from limited
fencing and the use of small tomato arbors. For 100% protection I
place a small arbor over the plant (to stop trampling) and wrap it
once with chicken wire (to prevent nibbling). A little inconvenient
and expensive the first year but amortizes well over the years.
--

Billy