Old 17-05-2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do I keep rabbits out of my garden? Recommendations?

My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other
suggestions.

viv
Old 17-05-2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Vivian Darkbloom wrote:

My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other
suggestions.

viv

Dried blood.

Bill

Ps not your landlords )

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/
Old 17-05-2008, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Vivian Darkbloom wrote:
My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all
other
suggestions.

viv

http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Ra...trapplans1.pdf

I used a trap just like this when I was helping feed the family in the
1930's when we had to scavenge for food. You should know rabbit is
very good!!

Tom J

Old 17-05-2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

Vivian Darkbloom wrote:
My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all
other
suggestions.

viv

http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Ra...trapplans1.pdf

I used a trap just like this when I was helping feed the family in the
1930's when we had to scavenge for food. You should know rabbit is
very good!!

Tom J

Tom are you about 80 years old and computer literate too?
Please post more!

Bill who shot his rabbitıs not right away but when they looked back
feeling safe. Had a blue tick at one time but we turned him into more
of a house pet.
Blue tick is a beagle rabbit dog.. FYI Miss a shot an a good dog
brings it back for another chance.

Old 18-05-2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

trap and kill them. other than that you might try some blood meal sprinkled around.

Old 18-05-2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/17/2008 2:19 PM, Bill wrote:
In article ,
Vivian Darkbloom wrote:

My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other
suggestions.

viv

Dried blood.

Bill

Ps not your landlords )

Feed your plants with blood meal.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 18-05-2008, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill wrote:
In article ,
"Tom J" wrote:

Vivian Darkbloom wrote:
My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all
other
suggestions.

viv

http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Ra...trapplans1.pdf

I used a trap just like this when I was helping feed the family in
the 1930's when we had to scavenge for food. You should know
rabbit
is very good!!

Tom J

Tom are you about 80 years old and computer literate too?
Please post more!

Bill who shot his rabbitıs not right away but when they looked back
feeling safe. Had a blue tick at one time but we turned him into
more
of a house pet.
Blue tick is a beagle rabbit dog.. FYI Miss a shot an a good dog
brings it back for another chance.

Just shy of 80, 78+ to be closer. Now hunting rabbits with beagle
hounds in the country is all together different. When you and the
beagles are walking through the undergrowth and the beagles jump a
rabbit (start barking and running the rabbit), you just stand still
and follow the sound, because very soon that rabbit will come right
back to the end of your gun barrel!! You cain't miss!!

Tom J
http://home.earthlink.net/~tomj_ga/

Old 18-05-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Vivian Darkbloom" wrote in message
My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other
suggestions.

viv

1) suitable dog(s)
2) myxomatosis
3) calici virus
4) gun(s)
5) traps
6) poison baits
7) destroy their warrens
8) electric fence
9) ferrets and nets
10) wire cages over garden beds
11) prayer and fasting (either you or the rabbits)
12) combinations of the above

These all have various degrees of legality, availability and suitability
depending on where you are and who you are.

David

Old 18-05-2008, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sprinkle blood meal around the area. You'll have to replace it after
rain. Also, another trick if you have a cat or know someone who does,
distribute used kitty litter around the edge of the property.

Good luck!
June

Old 20-05-2008, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Vivian Darkbloom" wrote in message
My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other
suggestions.

viv

How about a temporary fence? some metal or wood stakes and some
chicken wire

Old 20-05-2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Flower_Pot_Joe" wrote in message

To be fair you really can justify taking innocent lives just for the
sake of keeping your lawn clean. We're all honest gardeners here; and I
feel mother nature has so much more to offer us than urban tripe.
However this is a 'Rape' of mother nature. Garden loving isnt about
killing rabbits its about letting wild animals run free in their
natural habitat.

To be fair can we really justify getting our excrcise jumping to conclusions
while serving urban tripe?

My "lawn" isn't what I would describe as clean because of the hundreds of
kilos of turds on it. This is because it has to support ten horses and a
couple of dozen cattle. Or I could just let it and my veges and orchard be
turned to dust by introduced pests, bless their inocent little free running
lives. Did you think I had such an extensive list at hand of ways to dispose
of bunnies or to exclude them because I am just a mother nature raper at
heart?

I make no assumptions about the situation of the OP, what rabbits are to her
region's ecology or the state of her karma as she decides between locking out
the rabbits or to ritually feed them to her rottweiler under the full moon
while dancing sky-clad.

I just offered the information. I imagined that the qualifier at the end
might have hinted that all the remedies may not be appropriate to all
situations.

David

Old 20-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Registered User

well if it was me
i would certainly contact the rspca before doing anything cruel, im outraged at some of the suggestions on here

have you ever condisoring speaking to the rabbit and curtiously asking it to leave?
Old 20-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered User