Old 20-05-2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default New to gardening

Hello,

My wife and I are in our mid-thirties and never gardened. We have a 1
year old and are now starting to eat MORE healthy by learning to cook
from scratch (buying cook books, will be grinding our own meat from
butcher soon, things like that). So right now I'm focusing on this
cooking business ;-)

I'm toying with the idea of gardening and just found out about Square
Foot Gardening.

I just want to be able to plant some.. oh... tomatoes... cucumbers...
maybe some herbs.. just to give this gardening thing a shot.

We both work full time 5 days a week. We live in an end rowhome with
some trees at the further end of our yard, so i'm not sure if we get
6-8 hours of sun at wherever on the property, i guess i'll have to pay
attention to that.

But would anyone recommend Square Foot Gardening for a complete newbie
like me?

Not sure if I have time to devote to gardening this year (not sure how
much time during the week/weekend you need) but just trying to get a
grasp on this and see if it's something I should embark on this year
or next with everything else going on in our lives.

Thanks!
Paul
Old 20-05-2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
meatnub wrote:

[...]

What does your dad do? Same for grand Dad? If you are on your own
their mistakes will not matter. I'd look at a local community college
catalogue after looking about the neighborhood for examples of gardening
progress.
It helps us if you ID your general area.
Everything else going on indicates that maybe a reduction of things to
do is in order. Two working and a new child is pretty tough especially
if extended family is far away. Perhaps reading about garden stuff is
cool meanwhile get a compost bin goin.

Best!!!

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/
Old 20-05-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

meatnub wrote in

oups.com:

Hello,

gee, Paul, are you following me around?
seriously, i think this year you should spend some time
looking at where & when there is sun in your yard (you can see
this on the weekends) & where you would like to place your
raised beds/square foot gardens and yes, i do recommend them!
they're especially useful if you don't want to spend all your
time weeding & watering.
in fact, if you email me your address, i'll send you one of
my square foot garden books (i have 2 for some reason). use
enigma at mv dot com. evil.net works but the spam filter
sometimes grabs my good mail. if i remember, i might toss in a
cookbook for you too
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 20-05-2008, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 1:31*pm, Bill wrote:
In article
,

*meatnub wrote:
[...]

Neat place ..http://www.petersvalley.org/http://w...ingseeds.com/- Hide quoted text -

My father was not a gardener, nor my mother, though she did cook. BTW
I live in SouthEastern Pennsylvania, USA.

Yeah, extended family is not close so it's just me and the wife and
our son. I probably am getting in over my head thinking about
gardening right now, but just wanted to get an idea of what people
think about this Square Foot Gardening for a complete beginner like
me. I'll continue reading I guess.
Old 20-05-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 1:49*pm, enigma wrote:
meatnub wrote
oups.com:

Hello,

gee, Paul, are you following me around?

haha too funny! I saw someone mention square foot gardening (was it
you?) in a thread over in rec.cooking I believe so I googled it,
checked out Mel's website, and ended up here.

*seriously, i think this year you should spend some time
looking at where & when there is sun in your yard (you can see
this on the weekends) & where you would like to place your
raised beds/square foot gardens and yes, i do recommend them!
they're especially useful if you don't want to spend all your
time weeding & watering.

Thanks, Yeah I definitely need to figure out when & where the sun is
in our yard. That's the first baby step I need to take. I have no idea
about watering either, or weeding. LOL so yeah baby steps here.

*in fact, if you email me your address, i'll send you one of
my square foot garden books (i have 2 for some reason). use
enigma at mv dot com. evil.net works but the spam filter
sometimes grabs my good mail. if i remember, i might toss in a
cookbook for you too
lee
--

I just might take you up on that offer! You are too kind! I've already
got 3 cookbooks coming though! (TJOC, BHG, Betty Crocker).

Paul

Old 20-05-2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day paul,

welcome to gardening.

anyhow we invite you to take a look at our garden pic's on our site
there may be some ideas there for you?

On Tue, 20 May 2008 10:10:57 -0700 (PDT), meatnub
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev