Old 24-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Jim Brown

Default Tractor Key

MTD screwed up..

My 42" 17hp yardsman manufactured in 1999 is supposed to have the new
ignition switch, but some ass on the assembly line put in the old
ignition switch..

The problem is that I lost the key to the ignition and when I ordered
a new one based on my tractor's serial+ model number, I got a much
bigger key than what will fit.. Even the spare that came with the
tractor will not fit in the ignition.. Apparently the spare key which
was part of the manual package is for the new tractor..

After explaining all this to the MTD parts guy on the phone, he says
he feels bad for me, but can't do much, MTD has many keys and he does
not which one to send and he is just part of the MTD parts supplier..

Anyone know how I can short the switch and start my tractor so I can
mow my lawn?

JB

Old 25-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Jim Brown

Nevermind, I was able to fix this.. Some how the ignition outer cover
and the switch inside were misalinged.. I noticed it when I pulled the
ignition switch out of the tractor and was seeing it under good
lights. Used a blade to cut the outer cover where the key inserts.
That exposed the inner switch hole.. The key went in smooth..

I take back my harsh remarks regd MTD..

feeling stupid,
yet smart that I figured this out, JB