Old 27-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Default Ants in compost

Hi all,

I've got ants in my compost - is this something I should act on. Am a little concerned about the prospect of spreading ant larvae around my veg patch.

Cheers,

Old 27-05-2008, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:16:38 +0100, Lucretian
wrote:

Hi all,

I've got ants in my compost - is this something I should act on. Am a
little concerned about the prospect of spreading ant larvae around my
veg patch.

Cheers,

No need for concern unless these are fire ants. Turn the pile once a
week and they will likely be gone within a month. I have a pile of
leaf mold with a colony of ants in it and I used some the other day to
mulch chives, and I did it bare-handed. One of my hands was covered
in ants--weird feeling but they didn't sting. Ants are very clean
creatures.
Old 29-05-2008, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 27, 2:16 pm, Lucretian
wrote:
Hi all,

I've got ants in my compost - is this something I should act on. Am a
little concerned about the prospect of spreading ant larvae around my
veg patch.

They'll die if removed from the protection of the colony.

Is the pile wet or dry? The latter is more to their
liking.