Old 27-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered User

Smile Anyone recommend some colourful garden trees?

Hi all, our house is right on the edge of a forest we have lots of lovely green trees but we'd like to add some trees of different colours, about 8 medium sized trees in total, any recommendations?
Old 27-05-2008, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Anyone recommend some colourful garden trees?

In article ,
Freedom_Spark wrote:

Hi all, our house is right on the edge of a forest we have lots of
lovely green trees but we'd like to add some trees of different
colours, about 8 medium sized trees in total, any recommendations?

Kousa Dogwood
Stewardia
Franklinia
Magnolia
Crab apple
Cherry
Dogwood
Pine

http://www.rhs.org.uk/search/index.asp

Prunus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus

This will get you going but the best is to visit a garden an look
about. Take Pen & Paper & camera. Spring summer fall and winter are
issues too.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org/
Old 27-05-2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Would you care to give us some sort of clue as to where you are
located......country, city, Agricultural zone, etc. What would grow in
southern California probably wouldn't do well on the coast of Scotland, just
as an off the wall example. There is a 'uk.rec.garden' . The people there
may be of more help to you.

Val

Old 28-05-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Since you don't say what zone you're in, it may be difficult to
recommend trees for you. But, if you are in the right zones,
decorative plums are nice with their deep burgundy leaves which would
be a lovely contrast to the green from your surrounding forest.
Japanese maples are a great choice because many can give you three
colors for the three seasons. You can get them with either green or
red summer foliage, and the autumn colors can be either red or
brilliant oranges and yellows. Some start with one color green, like a
light, lime or yellow green in the spring and go to another darker
color green in summer. You can research them at many sites. Just
google Japanese maples and you'll find a lot of site with pictures and
explanations.
Dogwoods come in white, pink and red flowers; but the flowers only
last a small time in early spring. Then the leaves go green. If
you're in the right zone, you can get flowering shrubs that are like
small trees and they can come in various shades of white and pink.
There are a lot of beautiful flowering spring trees like flowering
cherry, styrax japonica which is a 20-30' tall, narrowish tree with
charming white or pink, hanging bell shaped flowers in the spring.
Your location and the size of tree you want is your first
consideration. You can check out many of the on line nurseries for
pictures and more detailed information on what would work for your
area.

Regards,
June

Old 28-05-2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Freedom_Spark wrote:
Hi all, our house is right on the edge of a forest we have lots of
lovely green trees but we'd like to add some trees of different
colours, about 8 medium sized trees in total, any recommendations?

Most tree foilage is green. What exactly do you mean... flowers,
fruit, bark, fall foliage... some trees have various hued magenta
leaves but that may not be what you want You're in the UK, have you
checked local nurseries?

Old 29-05-2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/kousa/kousa.html

Kousa Dogwood

Old 29-05-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

except Kousa dogwood, the flowers come after the leaves and last for 2 months. then
the berries turn red, in fall the leaves are bronze and gorgeous. Ingrid

Old 29-05-2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/kousa/kousa.html

On Tue, 27 May 2008 14:41:05 -0400, Bill wrote:
Kousa Dogwood

There a few different varieties that bloom at different times too.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...oreCatalogDisp
lay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&SearchText=kousa&mainPage=tex
tsearchresults&RequestType=NewRequest&go.x=0&go.y= 0&go=submit

or http://preview.tinyurl.com/4ecys9

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-l...usa&name.x=15&
name.y=8&name=Go

Bill

Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you've been very helpful!