Old 25-04-2003, 05:32 PM
SAS567

Default Skunk Problems

Has anyone had the unfortunate problem of getting rid of nesting skunks?
Yesterday I discovered that one has built a nest underneath my deck and I
cannot get to it without removing the planks of the deck. Can anyone offer any
advice?
Thanks,
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 25-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Other Brother Kevin

SAS567 wrote:

Has anyone had the unfortunate problem of getting rid of nesting skunks?
Yesterday I discovered that one has built a nest underneath my deck and I
cannot get to it without removing the planks of the deck. Can anyone offer any
advice?
Thanks,
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Throw in some moth balls

Old 26-04-2003, 03:32 PM

doesnt work

Throw in some moth balls

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 26-04-2003, 03:32 PM

poison (cyanide works great) injected thru a little hole into a raw chicken egg.. dab
shut with candle wax, roll that down into the hole. We did this when a grad student
had a problem with them digging under a concrete slab. Ingrid

(SAS567) wrote:

Has anyone had the unfortunate problem of getting rid of nesting skunks?
Yesterday I discovered that one has built a nest underneath my deck and I
cannot get to it without removing the planks of the deck. Can anyone offer any
advice?
Thanks,
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 26-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Other Brother Kevin

wrote:
doesnt work

Throw in some moth balls

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Worked for me, throw in more next to the nest

Old 26-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Tom Jaszewski

and they're hard to collect...

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 14:14:56 GMT, wrote:

doesnt work

Throw in some moth balls

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978

Old 27-04-2003, 12:56 AM

after raccoons they are the most likely to carry rabies. not a good animal to have
living that close to the house. not to mention the stench when they blow off some
nosy cat. Ingrid

Well, gee, wouldn't it be sort of fun to see the baby skunks? Also,
skunks DO eat an enormous amount of insects and grubs, so...

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 27-04-2003, 05:44 PM

http://www.purinaone.com/catcare_con...ICDB_Session=1
"After coming in contact with
the virus, the bitten animal
may go through one or all of
several stages.---- If the bitten
animal is a skunk it may not
show any symptoms at all but
could become a lifelong
carrier. ------With most animals, however, the virus will
spread through the nerves of the bitten animal
towards the brain. The virus is relatively slow
moving and the average time of incubation from
exposure to brain involvement is between 3 to 8
weeks in dogs, 2 to 6 weeks in cats, and 3 to 6
weeks in people. However incubation periods as
long as 6 months in dogs and 12 months in people
have been reported. After the virus reaches the
brain it then will move to the salivary glands where
it can be spread through a bite. After the virus
reaches the brain the animal will show one, two or
all of the three different phases.
Prodromal phase
The first is the prodromal phase and usually lasts
for 2-3 days in dogs. Apprehension, nervousness,
anxiety, solitude, and a fever may be noted.
Friendly animals may become shy or irritable and
may snap, whereas aggressive animals may
become affectionate and docile. Most animals will
constantly lick the site of the bite. In cats, the
prodromal phase lasts for only 1-2 days and they
usually develop more fever spikes and erratic
behavior than dogs.

Furious phase
From the prodromal phase, animals may enter the
furious stage; cats are particularly prone to
developing this phase. The furious stage of the
disease in dogs usually lasts for 1 to 7 days.
Animals become restless and irritable and are
hyper responsive to auditory and visual stimuli. As
they become more restless, they begin to roam
and become more irritable and vicious. When
caged, dogs may bite and attack their enclosures.
Animals progress to become disoriented and then
have seizures and eventually die.

Paralytic (dumb) phase
Animals may develop the paralytic phase either
after the prodromal or furious stage. The paralytic
phase usually develops within 2 to 4 days after the
first signs are noted. Nerves affecting the head and
throat are the first to be involved and animals may
begin to salivate as a result of their inability to
swallow. Deep labored breathing and a dropped
jaw may result as the diaphragm and face muscles
become increasingly paralyzed. Animals may
make a choking sound and many owners think that
there is something lodged in the dog’s throat. This
was the case with both dogs I was exposed to and
the owners were also exposed as they had been
looking in the dog’s mouth for a foreign object. The
animal will get weaker and eventually go into
respiratory failure and die."
Ingrid

Ann wrote:

expounded:

after raccoons they are the most likely to carry rabies. not a good animal to have
living that close to the house. not to mention the stench when they blow off some
nosy cat. Ingrid

Well, then, don't pat them! And if they are rabid, they'll be acting
strange, like coming out during the day, etc. No one wants skunks
living under their porch, but they do fit into the ecological balance
of nature.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 27-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Dan

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:10:23 -0400, Ann wrote:

expounded:

Well, then, don't pat them! And if they are rabid, they'll be acting
strange, like coming out during the day, etc. No one wants skunks
living under their porch, but they do fit into the ecological balance
of nature.

I once had a VERY strange one...it was imitating the herd animals.
The goats knew it was not normal and reared up, trying to scare it
away. Believe it or not, the skunk reared up right back at them! It
never sprayed during the several days we had to deal with it.

Finally we decided it was too dangerous. Since we live close to a few
other houses, it would be illegal to shoot a firearm (can't discharge
a weapon within 500 ft of other residential houses). We called the NJ
state troopers barracks, telling them we had a rabid animal in our
yard, and they told us "yea ok we'll come up in a couple of hours".

I then added, "If this is a waste of your time officer, I have a
friend down the road who owns a shotgun and she can deal with it". I
immedately got a "we'll be right over there, sir" and 5 minutes later
a trooper came and dealt with the problem (ie shooting it with a
shotgun). Sometimes micro-managed state beaurocracy has to be kicked
in the pants in order to enforce its own rules and statutes.

As a follow-up, the animal was tested and did prove positive for
rabies.

Dan

Old 27-04-2003, 10:44 PM

Few years back I was in my little shack in the woods. My two dogs
were out exploring. Then I heard the dogs making a heck of a racket.
One was barking, the other was shrieking.

Looked out the door and there was a skunk chasing the dogs. Believe
it or not.

Both dogs smelled lovely, but I got them in the shack, waited until
the skunk was a safe distance away and I took off for the house.
I collected my husband who collected a pistol and we went back to the
woods.

My husband asked. "O.K. Where is this so-called rabied skunk? " We
looked around and this time it was after us! It lived about five
seconds.

I gave my dogs a bath hoping to improve the body odor and then called
the vet to ask about boosters for the dogs. He told me not to dare
touch those dogs for 24 hours. Too late.

So I had to get rabies shots myself.