Old 26-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default trapped skunk

OK, well, I had some havahart traps in the yard to catch and relocate some
chipmunks, but I've ended up with a skunk in one. Any thoughts on how to
safely relocate a skunk without getting, well, skunked? I'm imagining
perhaps some kind of heavy tarp thrown onto the trap, wrap the sucker up,
put it into a giant rubbermaid container, then put it in the car and drive
it somewhere, then somehow try to release it without getting sprayed....

It's memorial day of course so I can't reach our local wildlife rehab
people or anyone else really. The cops were not helpful at all

Thanks for any tips!

-h.

Old 26-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Keith Karausky

OK, well, I had some havahart traps in the yard to catch and relocate some
chipmunks, but I've ended up with a skunk in one

I'll be watching this thread because I trap squirrels all summer and sometimes
forget to trigger the trap before dark. I catch a possum without fail every
time I "forget". I know its only a matter of time before I catch me a skunk
Old 26-05-2003, 02:44 PM
mrbill

The skunk can't spray if it can't get it's tail up. If the trap is
confining enough to prevent a raised tail, you have nothing to worry about.
When you release them, just run, run, run......................I've been
sprayed several times......it ain't fun!

Old 26-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Glenna Rose

writes:
OK, well, I had some havahart traps in the yard to catch and relocate some
chipmunks, but I've ended up with a skunk in one. Any thoughts on how to
safely relocate a skunk without getting, well, skunked? I'm imagining
perhaps some kind of heavy tarp thrown onto the trap, wrap the sucker up,
put it into a giant rubbermaid container, then put it in the car and drive
it somewhere, then somehow try to release it without getting sprayed....

I hope you have a good supply of tomatoes and tomato juice on hand! I
understand that is the only real de-odorizer. Unfortunately when my
little sister went to pet the pretty black and white kitty, we didn't know
that; fortunately, she didn't get the full blast which would have been
far, far worse.

Actually, that you have skunks is a good thing though maybe not not so
good in a cage. Around here (southwest Washington), we used to have many
skunks and would see them by the road quite often. However, the possums
have managed to take over their habitat so skunks are a rarity to see (or
smell) now. Really quite sad. Between skunks and possums, I prefer the
skunks. Possums are such nasty things. One was in the chicken house last
weekend; I managed to get it trapped in a huge flower pot, of all things,
and braced it good until a neighbor was able to come over and help get it
into a trap. The next morning it went on a field trip, to a field near
the lake and was, hopefully, dinner for a bald eagle or a hawk. However,
had it been a skunk in the chicken house, I'd have steered clear of it. g

Glenna

Old 26-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Penny Morgan

Your idea of throwing a tarp or blanket over the cage will definitely help
in deterring the skunk from spraying. I wouldn't bother with a barrel
though. Drive somewhere where it is woodland and keep the tarp on. Move
him facing the woods and unlatch the door quickly and run to the back of the
cage. He should be just as scared as you are and want to run away.

Let us know how you made out after.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 27-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

*Nocturnal animals will very often fall sound asleep in traps in the daytime.

Not this one. He was freaking out when I found him at about 8 or 9 am - I
was in fact actually worried he was going to injure himself.

*If you can throw a tarp over the trap and gently open the door (and then run),
*the skunk will probably just mosey on out without making a stink about it. ;-

Well, here's what I ended up doing:

-picking up a big plastic dropcloth and carrying it in front of me like a
shield as I approached the trap
-throwing the plastic over the trap
-covering the plastic-covered trap with a big bath towel
-carefully opening the trap
-hightailing it out of there
-checking back in an hour to confirm the skunk had skedaddled (he did).

*I assume you don't really want to relocate the skunk. They're important
*scavengers in areas where very few of those are left. Anyway, if this is a
*female she very likely has a den full of kits this time of year.

I can address this as well as the question someone else raised as to why I
wanted to relocate chipmunks. The chipmunks have destroyed two years'
worth of strawberry crops and frankly, I was hoping to get to eat a berry
or two this year! I KNOW it is the chipmunks, as I see them stealing the
berries . Now, as to the skunk - I did originally plan to relocate it
simply because I'd caught it, and because we previously had a problem with
a skunk making a den beneath our front stoop. However, I did come to my
senses and decide that the skunk was probably the only thing keeping our
vole population from totally destroying all the shrubs (instead of only
partially destroying them like they have been) and was probably also
eating some of those pesky grubs, so, you know, whatever.

BTW in case the policeman I spoke to today is reading this: I am a
veterinarian. I know what nocturnal means, I know what rabies is, and I
know that skunks lift their tails when they spray. You are still incorrect
- it would not have been appropriate to assume the skunk was sick because
it was awake, and it would really not have been wise to assume the skunk
couldn't spray (especially since his tail was curled upwards in the trap).

Sorry, just had to vent

Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: (Hillary Israeli)
Date: Mon, May 26, 2003 7:55 PM

--
hillary israeli vmd
http://www.hillary.net

Good work, Hillary....glad it's taken care of, no harm done either way. I'm
glad you didn't relocate the skunk. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a
nursing female (I imagine you didn't get close enough to check....!) which
would account for the severe agitation it was showing. Perhaps a skunk would
always show such behavior in a trap, but from I've seen raccoons and opossums
all snuggled up and peacefully sleeping in traps my neighbors set for
groundhogs. (I tell 'em they gotta get up just before dawn to set them.....)

I've got a soft spot for skunks and enjoy watching them....the young play like
kittens. Despite their habit of digging up my yard in places, I know they're
keeping the voles and grubs in check and taking care of wee dead critters.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa

Old 27-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Dianna Visek

My sister lives in upstate New York and her dogs have had fairly
regular encounters with skunks. She says that vinegar is much better
than tomato juice for getting the smell off.

One of her cats has developed a chipmunk obsession. He spends the
whole summer outside patrolling the rock wall where the chipmunks hang
out. He's so obsessed that he doesn't eat or groom much and begins to
look quite scruffy. The chipmunks have been almost totally
exterminated.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 27-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Are you allowed to relocate wild animals in your area? In many cases it is
a violation of state laws.......HW

Old 27-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Pat Meadows said:

I've no tips in particular, but I don't understand why you'd
want to relocate chipmunks. Maybe you have a cat who is
catching them?

Oh, I can explain that...
A population explosion that involves chipmunks undermining brick walkways,
undermining mature peonies (etc.) and driving out the red squirrels.

When we first moved here we had red squirrels and fox squirrels. Then, out
of nowhere (it seemed) we had a population explosion of chipmunks and no
more red squirrels. I trapped and moved the chipmunks, and the red squirrels
are back. (Red squirrels are roughly chipmunk sized and chipmunk-manic, but
don't live in burrows. If you've ever seen one chasing a much, much bigger
fox squirrel, you'd admire them, too!)

I can understand not wanting a skunk around if you have dogs
who are apt to be sprayed.

Do skunks eat things in gardens? I've never had any trouble
with them, in spite of living in skunk-territory many years.

About all they do that might be annoying is to tear up lawns to get
grubs. And they do most of their work in areas where the lawn is
very weak from grub feeding ('cause that's where the grubs are).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)