Old 30-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered User

Default My first post

Hi guys,

Bought my first house and spent a few quid getting the garden sorted which included levelling out the lawn and returfing it.

At first, the grass looked great but, a month later or so, there was the odd weed popping up. 3 Months on and there's weeds coming through everywhere, and now there even mushrooms growing. I've been cutting it about every two weeks...

What should I do to try to sort it?

Thanks in advance
Inchy
Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nitrogen makes weeds grow faster.

--
Do to the overwhelming amount a negative criticism by a few individuals on
this list, I am only willing to get into debate by way of email. I have a

Happy gardening!

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

On 30/06/08 23:02, inchy wrote:
Hi guys,

Bought my first house and spent a few quid getting the garden sorted
which included levelling out the lawn and returfing it.

At first, the grass looked great but, a month later or so, there was
the odd weed popping up. 3 Months on and there's weeds coming through
everywhere, and now there even mushrooms growing. I've been cutting it
about every two weeks...

What should I do to try to sort it?

Thanks in advance
Inchy

Use weed killer. There are loads of brands you can use on lawns.

Ed

Old 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

inchy said:

Hi guys,

Bought my first house and spent a few quid getting the garden sorted
which included levelling out the lawn and returfing it.

At first, the grass looked great but, a month later or so, there was
the odd weed popping up. 3 Months on and there's weeds coming through
everywhere, and now there even mushrooms growing. I've been cutting it
about every two weeks...

If you are only mowing every two weeks, you very likely aren't mowing
often enough and are mowing it too short when you finally do mow,
stressing the turf and opening it up to weeds. You have to let the turf
set the mowing schedule, if you want it to looks its best.

Mow at your mower's highest setting and mow often enough that the new
growth you remove is 1/3 or less of the set height. So if your set height
is 3 inches (not an unreasonable height for cool season grasses in the
summer) your clippings should be no longer than 1 inch. And, ideally,
the clippings are left on the grass.

And be sure to keep those mowing blades sharp.

The straight line difference between my lawn and my neighbor's lawn
isn't due to the difference in watering or fertilizing. My sprinklers (hardly
used this year) and broadcast spreader just are't that accurate. It's all
down to mowing. I mow tall, as often as needed (sometimes twice a
week) and he mows short, every couple of weeks.

Yes, I do a lot of mowing, but it's pretty good exercise--I substitute it for
one of my normal work-outs. And I use a smallish cordless electric
mower, so it's a lot of walking back and forth.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

news

www.shigosandtrees.com Most topics, correct planting, mulching, pruning
and fertilization can be found at www.treedictiony.com

Happy gardening!

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Yard man
http://home.ccil.org/~treedman
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.
"inchy" wrote in message

Tell us of your education in biology, tree or otherwise, yard man.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1 Jul., 00:02, inchy wrote:
Hi guys,

Bought my first house and spent a few quid getting the garden sorted
which included levelling out the lawn and returfing it.

At first, the grass looked great but, a month later or so, there was
the odd weed popping up. 3 Months on and there's weeds coming through
everywhere, and now there even mushrooms growing. I've been cutting it
about every two weeks...

What should I do to try to sort it?

Thanks in advance
Inchy

--
inchy

Hi Inchy, I can only recommend chemistry: Roundup by Monsanto

Regards, Alex

PS: have a look at rixa.com - would like to rate your garden... ;-)
Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub said:

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 06:53:32 -0400, Pat Kiewicz

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Great book by Jack Kornfield! Have you read it?

No, I swiped it from The Little Book of Zen.

It struck me as simply but profoundly true.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangchub[_2_] View Post
Mushrooms are a good sign the soil has fungi. They are the fruiting
bodies of fungi, so mushrooms/good.
Good, because now there are loads of them, probably about 80 in a 5m x 7m area...

Not too happy about the kids playing on the grass though, would a "weed and feed" type product kill them off?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
inchy wrote:

'Jangchub[_2_ Wrote:
;801159']Mushrooms are a good sign the soil has fungi. They are the
fruiting
bodies of fungi, so mushrooms/good.

Good, because now there are loads of them, probably about 80 in a 5m x
7m area...

Not too happy about the kids playing on the grass though, would a "weed
and feed" type product kill them off?

It's gotta be BSE( What part of healthy didn't you understand?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 08-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_5_] View Post

It's gotta be BSE( What part of healthy didn't you understand?
--
Kids eating dirty mushrooms... Yeah, dead healthy!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

inchy wrote in
:

'Billy[_5_ Wrote:

It's gotta be BSE( What part of healthy didn't you
understand? --

Kids eating dirty mushrooms... Yeah, dead healthy!

if the kids are stupid enough to be putting things in their
mouths without asking if they are edible, there's a bigger
problem than a few mushrooms in the lawn.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 09-07-2008, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
inchy wrote:

'Billy[_5_ Wrote:
;802592']

It's gotta be BSE( What part of healthy didn't you understand?
--

Kids eating dirty mushrooms... Yeah, dead healthy!

Maybe you should try some, to make sure they are all right. We might
save the soil yet ))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 09-07-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 3:50 pm, inchy wrote:
'Jangchub[_2_ Wrote:

;801159']Mushrooms are a good sign the soil has fungi. They are the
fruiting
bodies of fungi, so mushrooms/good.

Good, because now there are loads of them, probably about 80 in a 5m x
7m area...

Not too happy about the kids playing on the grass though, would a "weed
and feed" type product kill them off?

--
inchy

Yes, I think you could kill off all the children by using weed and
feed and/or
weed killer!

Emilie
Old 09-07-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
inchy wrote:

'Billy[_5_ Wrote:
;802592']

It's gotta be BSE( What part of healthy didn't you understand?
--

Kids eating dirty mushrooms... Yeah, dead healthy!

Maybe you should try some, to make sure they are all right. We might
save the soil yet ))

The point is inchy is that you are trying to fix something you don't
understand. Much of the soil on this planet has been killed or damaged
by thoughtless people who were just reading the application instructions
and had no idea about the consequences of their actions.
Mushrooms and fungi breakdown dead material (otherwise we'ed be up to
our armpits in the stuff) into products that are nutrients to other
plants. Work with the mushrooms.
Your best advice came from Pat Kiewicz. "If you are only mowing every
[...]

So you can work with nature for the health of the planet or you can be
dependent on fossil fuels in the form of biocides and make Monsanto
happy.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
inchy wrote:

'Billy[_5_ Wrote:
;802592']

It's gotta be BSE( What part of healthy didn't you understand?
--

Kids eating dirty mushrooms... Yeah, dead healthy!

Maybe you should try some, to make sure they are all right. We might
save the soil yet ))

Rewrite

The point is inchy is that you are trying to fix something you don't
understand. Much of the soil on this planet has been killed or damaged
by thoughtless people who were just reading the application instructions
and had no idea about the consequences of their actions.

"Bacteria" and fungi breakdown dead material (otherwise we'ed be up to
[...]

[IMG] code is On

First lawn, first post. In need of advice.... TeaBag Lawns 21 07-06-2013 08:35 AM
first post ...baby fish lrpiam Ponds 3 19-07-2004 05:09 PM
first post ...baby fish CRC Ponds 5 17-07-2004 05:04 PM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 01:47 AM
First Time Post: Red Ox Tiller Mark Gardening 0 31-03-2003 06:44 PM