Old 02-07-2008, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wound Dressing for TREES

Wound Dressing was studied by mycologist, tree biologist, chemist and so
forth by the US FOREST SERVICE researchers. Here at the bottom of the page
is a publication titled WOUND DRESSINGS: RESULTS OF STUDIES OVER 13 YEARS in
Journal of Arboriculture.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._dressing.html

The majority of bombardment of negative criticism on this newsgroup comes
from folk from Texas. The only place I know of in the world that it is a
law that you must apply wound dressing is Texas. Texas folks gave Dr. Shigo
a hard time about Modern Arboriculture. They are the only group of people
that I know of that fought him tooth and nail. Who is Dr. Shigo? His
profile is he http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...GOPROFILE.html
There are some good folk from Texas that I have personally studied tree
biology with and dissected trees with. My critics do not dissect trees.

His material is he www.shigoandtrees.com Enjoy

My critics are primarily from Texas. They disagree with most of Modern
Arboriculture treatments based on a thorough understanding of tree biology.
Go figure. Don Staples, from Texas, is a practicing forester with
communication problems with the researchers in tree biology. The story
addressing the communication problem is he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...102/index.html

Just a little background on the issue.

There is a time when wound dressing could be helpful. If you make a flush
cut, like many oaks in Texas suffer from, and paint it with wound dressing.
The wound dressing will stimulate the succession of micro organisms and
speed up the rot process. This would give you a cavity. Not good for the
individual but good for small wildlife that use cavities. In wildlife
management I often make flush cuts in the woods for small wildlife. I
rather not use the wound dressing.

If anybody has any data to state that through research, with controls, wound
dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms or the succession of
microorganisms, please email with the data. I would be happy to review it.

--
Do to the overwhelming amount a negative criticism by a few individuals on
this list, I am "only" willing to get into debate by way of email. I have a

Happy gardening!

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Hey braino scrambolo, I'd put you up against Texas A & M any time any
day. Nobody said apply wound dressing to flush cuts. Flush cuts went
out with two decades ago of information. Keep up Scramby. I DO NOT
MAKE FLUSH CUTS. NOBODY WITH HAVE A BRAIN AND ONE TOOTH DOES. Get
over it already.

I'm a New Yorker, by the way. I just live in Texas.

If anybody has any data, such as Texas A & M, to state that through

Old 02-07-2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

. ..

http://www.treeddeictionary.com/DICT...GOPROFILE.html There are some
good folk from Texas that I have personally studied tree biology with and
dissected trees with. My critics do not dissect trees.

I have searched the statuets, yard man, and cannot find the "law" of which
you speak. Please publish it for or edification. We do not give Shigo a
hard time, we give you a hard time, you need to accept being what you are,
a yard man. I would also like to see where Texans fought Shigo "tooth and
nail", seems you take great importance in deffinitions, give us a definition
of "fought him tooth and nail", while you are at it, give us your back
ground and education that allows you to be call an arborist. And when,
while I am at it, you are going to take the arborist test again.

I still need your attoruneys name, or we will have to file directly to the
court, you can hold some of that embarrasment at bay by responding.

fought him tooth and nail.
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Yard man
http://home.ccil.org/~treedman
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:19:36 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

If anybody has any data, such as Texas A & M, to state that through
research, with controls, wound
dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms or the succession of
microorganisms, please email with the data. I would be happy to review it

No, not email my friend. Public. They even mention your "man crush"
in the paper.

http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Document...ng_Article.pdf

Not enough colored pictures for him to become interested.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:14:37 -0500, "Don Staples"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

If anybody has any data, such as Texas A & M, to state that through
research, with controls, wound
dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms or the succession of
microorganisms, please email with the data. I would be happy to review it

No, not email my friend. Public. They even mention your "man crush"
in the paper.

http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Document...ng_Article.pdf
Not enough colored pictures for him to become interested.

I have a funny feeling he won't acknowledge this abstract. Probably
if he does, it will be to say how wonderful Shigo methods are. Duh.
The argument is not with Shigo, it's with the the wingnut.

I think I have discovered why he will not answer, it is from a publication on Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, some things about which he has no idea.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

What is the control in the experiment?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Jangchub" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:14:37 -0500, "Don Staples"
wrote:

. ..

Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

What an ignorant dumb **** you are, yard man.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:43:16 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

What is the control in the experiment?

Everyone, close your eyes now.

Go **** off you asshole. Read the study ****nut. Yeah yeah, not
Buddhists...**** off to you too. I am so sick of the mental patient
mentality with you. **** OFF JOHN!

Like I said, not enough colored pictures, he never read it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 09:54:57 -0500, "Sue Staples"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

If anybody has any data, such as Texas A & M, to state that through
research, with controls, wound
dressing has been proven to stop microorganisms or the succession of
microorganisms, please email with the data. I would be happy to review
it

No, not email my friend. Public. They even mention your "man crush"
in the paper.

http://www.texasoakwilt.org/Document...ng_Article.pdf
Not enough colored pictures for him to become interested.

I have a funny feeling he won't acknowledge this abstract. Probably
if he does, it will be to say how wonderful Shigo methods are. Duh.
The argument is not with Shigo, it's with the the wingnut.

I think I have discovered why he will not answer, it is from a publication
on Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, some things about which he has no idea.

And hey, it even mentions his boyfriend, Shigo. It took me exactly
three seconds to do a search and about five minutes to read the
abstract which proves why we paint fresh cuts in TX. It has nothing
to do with incorrect pruninig, rather it suggests we use Shigo cuts
which are proper. I don't know one arborist who doesn't know to cut
outside the branch collar. Feh. This is such an incredible waste of
time.

Well, for once, some useful and interesting information emerged from
from the pile of invectives and ad hominems.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"D. Staples" wrote:

"symplastless" wrote in message

urban forestry? please define what a forest is.

Thought I'd give it a go;o)

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/exhibit...es/forests.php

The forest biome

About 420 million years ago, during the Silurian Period, ancient plants
and arthropods began to occupy the land. Over the millions of years that
followed, these land colonizers developed and adapted to their new
habitat. The first forests were dominated by giant horsetails, club
mosses, and ferns that stood up to 40 feet tall.

Life on Earth continued to evolve, and in the late Paleozoic,
gymnosperms appeared. By the Triassic Period (245-208 mya), gymnosperms
dominated the Earth's forests. In the Cretaceous Period (144-65m mya),
the first flowering plants (angiosperms) appeared. They evolved together
with insects, birds, and mammals and radiated rapidly, dominating the
landscape by the end of the Period. The landscape changed again during
the Pleistocene Ice Ages ‹ the surface of the planet that had been
dominated by tropical forests for millions of years changed, and
temperate forests spread in the Northern Hemisphere.

Today, forests occupy approximately one-third of Earth's land area,
account for over two-thirds of the leaf area of land plants, and contain
about 70% of carbon present in living things. They have been held in
reverence in folklore and worshipped in ancient religions. However,
forests are becoming major casualties of civilization as human
populations have increased over the past several thousand years,
bringing deforestation, pollution, and industrial usage problems to this
important biome.

Present-day forest biomes, biological communities that are dominated by
trees and other woody vegetation (Spurr and Barnes 1980), can be
classified according to numerous characteristics, with seasonality being
the most widely used. Distinct forest types also occur within each of
these broad groups.

There are three major types of forests, classed according to latitude:

* Tropical
* Temperate
* Boreal forests (taiga)

Temperate forest
Temperate forests occur in eastern North America, northeastern Asia, and
western and central Europe. Well-defined seasons with a distinct winter
characterize this forest biome. Moderate climate and a growing season of
140-200 days during 4-6 frost-free months distinguish temperate forests.

* Temperature varies from -30° C to 30° C.
* Precipitation (75-150 cm) is distributed evenly throughout the
year.
* Soil is fertile, enriched with decaying litter.
* Canopy is moderately dense and allows light to penetrate,
resulting in well-developed and richly diversified understory vegetation
and stratification of animals.
* Flora is characterized by 3-4 tree species per square kilometer.
Trees are distinguished by broad leaves that are lost annually and
include such species as oak, hickory, beech, hemlock, maple, basswood,
cottonwood, elm, willow, and spring-flowering herbs.
* Fauna is represented by squirrels, rabbits, skunks, birds, deer,
mountain lion, bobcat, timber wolf, fox, and black bear.

Further subdivisions of this group are determined by seasonal
distribution of rainfall:

* moist conifer and evergreen broad-leaved forests: wet winters and
dry summers (rainfall is concentrated in the winter months and winters
are relatively mild).
* dry conifer forests: dominate higher elevation zones; low
precipitation.
* mediterranean forests: precipitation is concentrated in winter,
less than 1000 mm per year.
* temperate coniferous: mild winters, high annual precipitation
(greater than 2000 mm).
* temperate broad-leaved rainforests: mild, frost-free winters, high
precipitation (more than 1500 mm) evenly distributed throughout the year.

Only scattered remnants of original temperate forests remain.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars