Old 29-09-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default tree wound dressing

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

--
Sincerely,John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist

Old 29-09-2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

--
Sincerely,John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Like everything else, there's exceptions to the latest thought which
addresses generalities, not specifics.

An example. I have 5 acres of central TX property. The native prevailing
trees are in order - Juniper ashe, live oak, red oak, pecan, and a
spattering of chinaberry in my specific area. I cut juniper ashe any time
of the year, may be the whole tree, or, a swath up the trunk of the tree
just above head height. No dressing is ever applied ever to such cuts. All
have no problems healing over such cuts. Live oak, I only prune dead limbs.
No time of year specific No problems here. No dressing applied. I have no
other tree species on my property.

Oops, I do have one lemon tree about a foot tall in a pot. Haven't pruned
it.

My dad used repair type roofing tar on his pecan trees after making cuts of
branches off the trunk. No visible ill effects. One has been cut down due
to height constraints in the area, the remainder are still in place.

Some juniper ashe have to take cuts on branches at the trunk. Some will
branch entirely horizontally. Making it impossible to mow under them. This
is also how such a tree aids containing water beneath such a tree.

All is observational, and could be easily an oversight on my part, But, I
doubt it.
Dave

Old 29-09-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

.. No dressing is ever applied ever to such cuts. All
have no problems healing over such cuts.

First, trees do not heal wounds. Trees do not heal wounds.
Wound dressing does not stop rot or the spread of disease. So why would you
apply it at all?

Trees compartmentalize and they do not heal.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 30-09-2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

I am well aware of the thought that trees in Texas respond differently to
wounds than in other states. Could you please explain how wound dressing
help trees in Texas when it does not in other states? If you know how to
prune trees correctly than wound dressing would not be of any value. If you
do not prune trees correctly wound dressing does not stop or stall the
spread of pathogens or does it stop rot.

Don't spoil your proper pruning job by coating the wounds with tree paint or
wound dressing. After over 13 years of wood dressing research, Dr. Shigo
and Dr. Shortle concluded that these paints do nothing to prevent decay and
little or nothing to promote wound closure.

There are no data to show that wound dressings prevent or stall decay.

Microorganisms have their picnics and parties under wound dressings.

It is the wound dressing idea more than the material that is dangerous.
People are taught that you can do anything you want to a tree and all you
have to do is paint it black and it is a forgiveness of sin. Trees do not
function that way.

Heartrot and wound dressings are twins.

Wound dressings do not stop rot. I incorrect pruning starts a long list of
costly problems: cankers, sun scald, frost cracks, insect borers and the
list goes on and on.

The search for new wound dressings continues, and I doubt that it will ever
end. Many claims are made, but they are not supported by sound data from
experiments with controls and dissections after five to seven years.

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

Correct pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ing/index.html

The real problem with wound dressings is not the dressing, but the idea
behind the dressing. Throughout the history of tree treatments, tree
mutilations were accepted mainly because some "magic medicine" would cover
the wounds and prevent infections and rot. This idea gave every tree
mutilator free reign over a multitude of incorrect procedures that included
flush cutting, topping, tipping, digging deeply into wounds, inserting drain
tubes, pointing vertical tips of wounds, and injecting deeply into trunks.
The wound dressing idea has been the major problem holding back progress for
better tree care procedures. Sad, but the idea is continuously being
reinforced not only by people who see trees as a source of profit, but even
worse, by people who are supposed to be researchers. The idea is kept alive
by promises of the magic medicine coming soon. The promise has been active
for at least two centuries. The idea allows anyone to become an arborist or
tree expert any time he or she wishes. History shows this to be true.

I used to use wound dressing until I found out that the treatment is of no
value to the tree. If you wanted to make a cavity for a small wildlife you
could make a flush cut and paint the wound. This would stimulate decay and
create a cavity. Good for small wildlife but not good for the tree.

No matter what we say or write some people will still pursue wound dressing.
The sad part is most people who claim wound dressing helps are people who do
not understand trees. They make claims that wound dressings help trees
"heal". Trees seal but do not heal wounds. Heal is an animal term not a
tree term.

Texas has gone through a long period of flush cuts from years past. many
problems with trees is directly related to flush cuts and wound dressing
that were applied in the past. Wound dressings and flush cuts were the
treatments of the past which gave us many problems of the present. What
would really help trees for the future is adjustments to pruning.

Oh,well.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:43:31 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

First, trees do not heal wounds. Trees do not heal wounds.
Wound dressing does not stop rot or the spread of disease. So why would
you
apply it at all?

Trees compartmentalize and they do not heal.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

As far as I can tell nobody said anything about wound dressing in the
post you answered. I live in Texas where oak wilt is present and if a
tree must be pruned during the time when pathogen vectors are also
present, the wound must be painted. Proper sanitation between cuts,
etc. Trees in Texas are very valuable to property sales. I have
three live oak trees well over 300 years old, according to a very
reputable arborist. The estimate is conservative, they may be almost
400, but in years of drought the added rings are not measurable in
most cases.

I may be on a rant, sorry, but you are correcting semantics and that
doesn't seem very skillful.

Old 30-09-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
I am well aware of the thought that trees in Texas respond differently to
wounds than in other states. Could you please explain how wound dressing
help trees in Texas when it does not in other states? If you know how to
prune trees correctly than wound dressing would not be of any value. If
you do not prune trees correctly wound dressing does not stop or stall the
spread of pathogens or does it stop rot.

Smart answers about your thoughts aside, practical experience in Texas
indicates would dressing does work. I have work trees after hurricanes for
the last 40 years, and have seen the results. Wound dressing prevented
invasive rots, while no dressing may or may not have done the same.
Practical knowledge, not from your host.

Beware a so called tree biologist that never studied biology.

Old 30-09-2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Just an observation, John. I think your response would have been better
if you had lost the first paragraph and only kept the next four and the
last paragraphs. Too much writing and the mind gets numb.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 30-09-2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:00:56 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for not using one word in my post to which your response seems
to be directed at. If you read the literature you will find nobody
ever suggested flush cuts, nor have I ever made a flush cut on
anything at any time. Nobody said painting the cuts "heals" the cut.
Cutting outside the collar indeed does close over and eventually the
wound is concealed. The other thing I said which you comletely
ignored (possibly, I couldn't read your entire post) was my statement
which indicated proper pruning at the correct time when the insect
vector was not present.

In actuality, oak wilt is mostly transmitted tree to tree by
underground fungal mat and trenching is recommended when there are
trees in the area with active decline.Even then it may be too late.

I wish you had better reading skills. Where did you study tree
biology?

Where did you study courtesy?

Old 30-09-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

Just an observation, John. I think your response would have been better
if you had lost the first paragraph and only kept the next four and the
last paragraphs. Too much writing and the mind gets numb.

Too much quoting does the same, and it's discouteous.

--
john mcwilliams
Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

How does bark form?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

You require dissections after five years of studies.
What have you dissected and how?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

How does bark form?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...ssing/index.ht
ml

Correct pruning
[...]

What? The cambium, sunlight and CO2, a dog? Could you state your
question less ambiguously without the preamble as to why you posed it i
the first place? Congratulations, though, on the economy of words.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

I did not mean to direct that question to you Billy.

Yes the cambial zone produces xylem to the inside and phloem to the out
side. Also, there is outer bark. I would ask the wound dressing pushers
how outer bark is formed and why some trees have smooth bark (beech) and
some do not (chestnut oak)? I would be ashamed if my pruning was so bad I
had to use wound dressing. Oak wilt is greatly influenced by flush cuts and
wound dressing does not help trees close wounds. Some people just do not
understand trees. They will not go away or either will the wound dressing
idea. If someone on this news group prunes trees correctly please place
some pictures of your donuts of callus or wound wood after pruning to prove
you know where the targets are.

Here is mine at bottom.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...doughnuts.html

People that make flush cuts should not be allowed to prune oak trees in
Texas.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

How does bark form?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Think about all the beliefs and treatments that were false. Before the germ
theory, people believed that diseases caused microorganisms. Babies were
thought to be fertilized by liquids from the male. The earth was thought to
be flat. The sun was thought to travel around the earth. Best to put warm
materials on burns. Bleeding a sick person gets rid of the nasty things
inside. The gods lived in Olympus and did all things. Wound dressings stop
rpt in trees. Flush pruning is best because the wounds heal faster.
Drilling holes to let out wetwood and stop decay. Planting trees good and
deep is good for trees. Trees heal wounds, roots regenerate, and trees have
root flairs. The list is long with tree practices and with many other
practices. It is a wonder people and trees are still around! The
frightening part of this is that false beliefs come easier than the truth.
many myths and misunderstandings are still with us. To erase a myth is very
difficult, yet to add another myth is easy. Dr. Shigo read many books and
magazines, mostly about science. The beliefs come and go in science also.
If others can have beliefs, why can't we? Further, we find it difficult to
understand how people inside can write about systems that grow outside? We
do not believe trees can be understood by looking at them only from their
outsides. Until Andreas Vesalius began systematic dissections of human
bodies, the myths about our bodies were many. Until tree anatomy, not wood
anatomy, is learned, we will be in the same position with trees. Wound
dressing is a very silly idea.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
I assure you I prune properly, outside the branch collar and all the
cuts grow over the exposed wound. I will say it again, during times
of year when the insect vector for oak wilt is present, it is
recommended we use pruning paint. This is what Texas A&M p%rescribes.
It is only for live oak trees, and only during two months of the year.
The person harping is not me. I'm just preserving my old growth live
oaks to maintain the ecology as well as property value. In Texas,
large trees equals up to 20% of land vallue.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Show me some pictures of your doughnuts on live oak trees.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:07:42 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Show me some pictures of your doughnuts on live oak trees.

What? You want me to show you my branch collar cuts? If I have time
I'll take some photo's.

No, he lost this one, and is diverting the conversation.

[IMG] code is On

Tree Wound Question - Live Oak MostlyH2O Gardening 2 04-10-2015 05:44 PM
Wound Dressing for TREES symplastless Gardening 17 04-07-2008 02:58 AM
Old Apple Tree wound MG United Kingdom 6 28-02-2005 02:40 PM
Tree Wound Care Iris Cohen Plant Science 1 26-03-2004 09:08 PM
[IBC] Wound Dressing (was Maple advice) Alan Walker Bonsai 0 06-05-2003 02:22 AM