Old 11-07-2008, 12:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Weeders

I'm looking for a long handled weeder because I have back problems and
it has become very difficult for me to get down to weed. There are
several that I've found online. Would anyone give me advice on how to
chose which one is best? I'd appreciate it. This will be used to
clear weeds from flower beds. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
I'm looking for a long handled weeder because I have back problems and
it has become very difficult for me to get down to weed. There are
several that I've found online. Would anyone give me advice on how to
chose which one is best? I'd appreciate it. This will be used to
clear weeds from flower beds. Thanks.

I asked a similar question a few days ago. No one had recommended any
thing so my husband bought a WeedEater tap and go. It probably wouldn't have
been my choice but I used it once and it has done well. It is heavy. We were
replacing a ryobi corded with two lines and this one only has one. So far so
good. It cost about $80.00

Old 11-07-2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Phyllis Stone" wrote:

wrote in message
I'm looking for a long handled weeder because I have back problems and
it has become very difficult for me to get down to weed. There are
several that I've found online. Would anyone give me advice on how to
chose which one is best? I'd appreciate it. This will be used to
clear weeds from flower beds. Thanks.

I asked a similar question a few days ago. No one had recommended any
thing so my husband bought a WeedEater tap and go. It probably wouldn't have
been my choice but I used it once and it has done well. It is heavy. We were
replacing a ryobi corded with two lines and this one only has one. So far so
good. It cost about $80.00

I favor in descending order Hula Hoe (works coming and going),
Collinear Hoe (Light and easy to sharpen or replace blades ..note
blades) and finally the Warren hoe a classic and easy to get close to
your plant or make a furrow.

The stirrup hoe is similar to the Hula I mentioned.

Here are a bunch.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...ge&search=hoe&
qstateid=34007110-6662-4470-96c2-d47048b0bcfc&sp=1

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I'm looking for a long handled weeder because I have back problems and
it has become very difficult for me to get down to weed. �There are
several that I've found online. �Would anyone give me advice on how to
chose which one is best? �I'd appreciate it. �This will be used to
clear weeds from flower beds.

Lee Valley sells quite a few of the typical weeding tools but this one
looks interesting and may be just right for your needs:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2160,40706

---
Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Assuming you are talking about a manual weeder (like a 3-tine or
starfish-wheeled one), my opinion is that the longer the handle, the better,
and the sturdier (which is highly correlated with price), the better. With
online or mail-order its always hard to tell what you are really getting.
Personally I would want to hold it in my hands before buying, so I would go
to a brick-and-mortar store. Too short a handle and you will still have to
lean forward. It's surprising how long a handle is needed to be able to
stand ramrod straight up, especially if you are at all tall. Too flimsy and
you will be replacing it soon with a sturdier one anyway when it breaks.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site

Kevin

The sturdier, the better. Get the expensive

Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

The sturdier, the better. Get the wrote in message

I'm looking for a long handled weeder because I have back problems and
it has become very difficult for me to get down to weed. *There are
several that I've found online. *Would anyone give me advice on how to
chose which one is best? *I'd appreciate it. *This will be used to
clear weeds from flower beds. *Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

There are several weed poppers and weed pullers / twisters that can
effectively remove deep rooted weeds. Obviously, a precise hoe can be
effective for small weeds in flower beds. I doubt whether any type of
weed whacker will be safe to use in a flower bed, unless there are
areas where no valued plants are close to weeds.

Precision is the key word for protecting your plants and crops. In my
opinion, if you stick with tools in retail stores, you're missing
about 80 percent of the better tools available for lower prices, even
with shipping included (compared with driving your gas-consuming
vehicle).

A good summary of various weeding tools can be found at ergonica.com/
weeder_features.htm .

The Weed God does not command you to genuflect before his image. So
I've been told...
Old 18-07-2008, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful replies.