Old 20-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Default callistemon "bottlebrush" advice

can anyone give me litle advice please, i own a callistemon "bottlebrush" plant. its the one with the red flowers. i was wondering when do i dead head the old flowers and whereabouts do i cut on the stem. i don't want to damage the plant. hope someone can help.

cheers.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/20/2008 2:39 PM, fuzzywuzzy wrote:
can anyone give me litle advice please, i own a callistemon
"bottlebrush" plant. its the one with the red flowers. i was wondering
when do i dead head the old flowers and whereabouts do i cut on the
stem. i don't want to damage the plant. hope someone can help.

cheers.

This plant does not need to be deadheaded. If you leave the flowers,
they form an interesting band of seed capsules.

If you wish to trim the plant because it's too big or because branches
are crossing, I think you can cut into bare wood.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 21-07-2008, 09:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 7/20/2008 2:39 PM, fuzzywuzzy wrote:
can anyone give me litle advice please, i own a callistemon
"bottlebrush" plant. its the one with the red flowers. i was wondering
when do i dead head the old flowers and whereabouts do i cut on the
stem. i don't want to damage the plant. hope someone can help.

cheers.

This plant does not need to be deadheaded. If you leave the flowers,
they form an interesting band of seed capsules.

If you wish to trim the plant because it's too big or because branches
are crossing, I think you can cut into bare wood.

Yep, if need be, you can be really savage with callistemons. This site may
help:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/callistemon/index.html

Old 30-07-2008, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 20, 4:43 pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 7/20/2008 2:39 PM, fuzzywuzzy wrote:

can anyone give me litle advice please, i own a callistemon
"bottlebrush" plant. its the one with the red flowers. i was wondering
when do i dead head the old flowers and whereabouts do i cut on the
stem. i don't want to damage the plant. hope someone can help.

cheers.

This plant does not need to be deadheaded. If you leave the flowers,
they form an interesting band of seed capsules.

But...but...If you leave the seed on, won't the plant think it has
done
its duty and now can die? Straight question.

Old 30-07-2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Dark Energy wrote:

Wassup? We haven't even gotten to the Autumn equinox and, you've already
slipped into your Fall persona. Anything to do with global warming?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 30-07-2008, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dark Energy" wrote in message
But...but...If you leave the seed on, won't the plant think it has
done
its duty and now can die? Straight question.

It is not an annual- its normal life cycle is to flower and produce seed
every year, then grow another season and do it all over again.
Apple trees don't die after they produce apples- same thing.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 31-07-2008, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/30/2008 3:40 PM, Buderschnookie wrote:
"Dark Energy" wrote in message
But...but...If you leave the seed on, won't the plant think it has
done
its duty and now can die? Straight question.

It is not an annual- its normal life cycle is to flower and produce seed
every year, then grow another season and do it all over again.
Apple trees don't die after they produce apples- same thing.

Ooooo! You stole my answer.

If the plant is not trimmed at all, you will see new flowers (the
"brush") several inches above a ring of last year's seed capsules. You
might even see several such rings of capsules from successive years.
However, they do eventually fall off. Also, you might want to trim it
back before you get that result.

Note: If the bottle brush is in the genus Melaleuca and you are in or
near a tropical climate, the seeds will sprout when they fall to the
ground. In parts of Florida, Melaleuca is considered an invasive pest;
in California, this doesn't seem to be a problem. If the bottle brush
is in the genus Callistemon, don't worry; it behaves.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered User

Location: essex
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzywuzzy View Post
can anyone give me litle advice please, i own a callistemon "bottlebrush" plant. its the one with the red flowers. i was wondering when do i dead head the old flowers and whereabouts do i cut on the stem. i don't want to damage the plant. hope someone can help.

cheers.
Hi!
Are you in the uk as i also have a callistemon which is 2 years old now & i'm still waiting for it to flower! I grew from seed & it's now quite big. The leaves are going red & starting to fall off but no sign of any buds.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Callie