Old 21-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Paul

Default Callistemon citrinus (Bottlebrush) problems

I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help

Paul

Old 21-01-2004, 04:48 PM
JennyC

"Paul" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Cold/frost is the problem. You need to bring them in during winter!
Jenny

Old 21-01-2004, 04:48 PM
jane

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:23:25 +0000 (UTC), "Paul"
wrote:

~I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
~Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
~are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
~and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
~be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
~some sort of 'food', or ?

I can't say for sure.

Often plants don't like being shifted about: I don't know if it
applies specifically to callistemons but it may not like sudden
changes in temperature and humidity.

Backstory: Dad and I both bought tiny ones some 4 years back at
Gardeners' World: he's in north Derbyshire and I'm in Bucks. He kept
his outside all year, I removed mine to the conservatory each winter
(10-15 deg minimum). In the end he tied up all his floppy stems to
make a plaited tree trunk effect and put it in the front garden
(permanently) which is full sun but also full prevailing winds off the
Peak District. It gets *very* cold up there.

Guess whose plant flowered first.

So I'd guess your friend could easily leave the plant outside
(assuming they're not too far north!) and it can become acclimatised
to a given position. Perhaps then it won't lose more leaves. I'm not
sure it it can regrow them, either: perhaps it'll need a prune.

Other possible reasons for leaf loss as well as the things you
suggested are loss of roots (has it got vine weevil?) or infestations
of scale insects/red spider mite. Best have a close look first, so see
if any bugs are hiding.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 21-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Iris McCanna

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and

other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost

fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know

what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in

need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Cold/frost is the problem. You need to bring them in during winter!
Jenny

Jenny,

I have two of them and they survived minus 12 last winter so I don't
think cold/frost is actually the problem, more being moved about to
and from differing temperatures. Personally I would plant it out in
the spring and let it settle down.

Regards
Iris (McCanna)

Old 21-01-2004, 07:31 PM
JennyC

"Iris McCanna" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Paul" wrote
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and

other leaves are turning yellow. Paul

Cold/frost is the problem. You need to bring them in during winter!
Jenny

Jenny,

I have two of them and they survived minus 12 last winter so I don't
think cold/frost is actually the problem, more being moved about to
and from differing temperatures. Personally I would plant it out in
the spring and let it settle down.
Regards

Iris (McCanna)

OH ! Mine died last winter in -12 :~(((
Jenny

Old 21-01-2004, 07:32 PM
JennyC

"Iris McCanna" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Paul" wrote

Old 21-01-2004, 07:39 PM
JennyC

"Iris McCanna" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
"Paul" wrote

Old 21-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Andrew

Just for interest, my one is flourishing beyond my expectations in the back
garden. My brother in law grew it from the tiny seed you find when you break
open the little black 'globules' after the crimson spikes have died down.
This year I have tried to root some cuttings in small pots kept in my small
lean-to against the wall outside the kitchen. Four of them seem to have
taken and are growing merrily. I am in Liverpool. My single plant has over
with no problems so far!

--
Andrew Bebb,
4 Ranelagh Drive South,

Old 22-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Philip

"Paul" wrote in message ...
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help

Paul

The Callistemons at Wisley are outside. There is one in the wall
opposite the bookshop. This is a fairly exposed position. I noticed
another un a corner against ne of the buildings. This would be a much
drier and more sheltered spot.

Both are in the ground and look as if they stay there. Last time I
saw them 27th Dec 03 they both looked in good condition (as Wisley
would you expect anything else !!!).

That being said Callistemons are not just one plant there are many
varieties with a range of tolerances. I would put the plant outside
in a sheltered position and leave it alone.

Old 24-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Paul
writes
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help

Paul

Mine's in the garden and hasn't been harmed by the frost in the lasts 8
years Paul. It has flowered every year and it is about 5 foot wide and
five foot tall and not in a particularly sheltered spot so perhaps they
just like a bit of room to grow? The seed is easy to germinate if you
wait a year and let the seed dry on the shrub then bring in the
'pods/seed cases' and put them somewhere really warm, like a mantelpiece
over a fire. After 24 hours millions of tiny seeds like dust come out of
the cone type seed heads.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 24-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , JennyC
writes

"Paul" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Cold/frost is the problem. You need to bring them in during winter!
Jenny

Not necessarily Jenny! (See my other posting) mine's next to a
hawthorn hedge facing East.
Old 24-01-2004, 02:42 PM
JennyC

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , JennyC
writes

"Paul" wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help? A friend of mine has a Bottlebrush,
Callistemon citrinus. It has started shedding some leaves, and other

leaves
are turning yellow. It is in a pot at the moment because of frost fears,
and is in and out of the house (no greenhouse). Does anyone know what

might
be causing the leaf problems? Could it need more water, or be in need of
some sort of 'food', or ?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Cold/frost is the problem. You need to bring them in during winter!
Jenny

Not necessarily Jenny! (See my other posting) mine's next to a
hawthorn hedge facing East.
Janet Tweedy

Mine was in a pot on the roof garden. Maybe it would have survived if it had
been in the ground :~)
Jenny