Old 25-07-2008, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens,hawaii.gardening

Default Pineapple harvest

I have grown a pineapple here in Quebec City. This is the first
pineapple I have ever seen on a plant. And I don't know anyone
who knows anything about growing pineapples. The fruit is now about
half the size of a pineapple as sold at the grocery. The fruit
is getting a little heavy and it is starting to lean over. Should
I let it lean all the way to the ground or should I use a stake
to keep it upright?

I'm not sure if I should expect my pineapple to grow quite as big as
one that would've grown in the tropics. So, does anyone know what
is the best way to know if a pineapple is ready to be picked?

When, I will harvest it, what do I do, do I just pull on the fruit
or do I cut it off with a knife? I hope to get more pineapples
from the same plant.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Alain Fournier
Old 25-07-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Alain Fournier wrote:

I have grown a pineapple here in Quebec City. This is the first
pineapple I have ever seen on a plant. And I don't know anyone
who knows anything about growing pineapples. The fruit is now about
half the size of a pineapple as sold at the grocery. The fruit
is getting a little heavy and it is starting to lean over. Should
I let it lean all the way to the ground or should I use a stake
to keep it upright?

I'm not sure if I should expect my pineapple to grow quite as big as
one that would've grown in the tropics. So, does anyone know what
is the best way to know if a pineapple is ready to be picked?

When, I will harvest it, what do I do, do I just pull on the fruit
or do I cut it off with a knife? I hope to get more pineapples
from the same plant.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi,
You should stake the fruit to keep it upright. Put a stick in the soil
and tie the crown to it.
Usually fruits grown from crowns will be somewhat smaller and not as
sweet as the original. But the one that you got the crown from was not
nearly as ripe as the one you are growing will be. A really ripe
pineapple is much better than supermarket and they do not ripen any more
when picked. Tap the base of the fruit daily and when it falls off the
stem it is very ripe.
When you pick the fruit do not throw the plant away even though each
plant produces only one fruit and dies. The plant is capable of
producing more plants. The great news is the reason to grow a pineapple
from a crown is to get ones grown from ratoons which may grow around the
base of the spent plant. Pineapples grown from ratoons will generally be
larger and sweeter than the original.
Enjoy -_- how

--
no NEWS is good
Old 27-07-2008, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

how wrote:
Alain Fournier wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your answer. I would like to grow a ratoon from my plant.
But I don't know if that would be possible. This is a potted plant in
my living room. I don't think it could grow ratoons in its pot. I will
try to transplant it into the garden after picking the fruit but I
will have, at best, only a few weeks left before freezing will kill the
plant. Unless, do you think I should try to keep it alive for 8 months
in its pot and wait until next June to put it outside to grow ratoons?
I would then have 4 months of freeze free time to grow ratoons.

Alain Fournier
Old 27-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Registered User

Hi

we grow pineapple plants which we sell on our website along with lots of other exotic fruit we have lots of information on our web site at

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Fournier View Post

Old 27-07-2008, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Alain Fournier wrote:

Thanks for your answer. I would like to grow a ratoon from my plant.
But I don't know if that would be possible. This is a potted plant in
my living room. I don't think it could grow ratoons in its pot. I will
try to transplant it into the garden after picking the fruit but I
will have, at best, only a few weeks left before freezing will kill the
plant. Unless, do you think I should try to keep it alive for 8 months
in its pot and wait until next June to put it outside to grow ratoons?
I would then have 4 months of freeze free time to grow ratoons.

Hi,
Pineapples grown from crowns do well in pots indoors, full sun is not
required. Ratoon plants can take full sun but IMHO it would not be
productive to give it few weeks of sun as the nights may be too cool.
The eight months indoors and four outside is not long enough to fruit.
Leave the plant where it fruited and wait and see if ratoons appear.
http://agrss.sherman.hawaii.edu/pine...es/pineplt.jpg shows other
parts that may be used to get another pineapple and one or more of these
may appear.

HTH -_- how

--
no NEWS is good

[IMG] code is On

My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!! Mark Anderson Gardening 12 07-11-2003 09:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple James Mayer Edible Gardening 0 17-09-2003 01:42 AM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM