Old 28-07-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default NOW what??? dead skunk in garden

On Jul 27, 9:07*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Last Tuesday I discovered a skunk in my culvert trying to feast on my
recycling. It walked funny and grumbling - no doubt rabies or *other
ailment.

I backed away and called Animal Control - who may or may not have shown up.
It was raining quite hard all week.

Well, this AM (Sunday) I had a nice day and time, so I did I quick garden
walk. About 25 feet from the original sighting, there is a very dead
(partially skeletonized) skunk. *Due to the oddness of the white stripe
(this one was more white than black, especially on the tail), I'm sure it's
the same animal.

So, do I let nature finish it's work - there are beetles and flies aplenty.
This is a flower garden and an area I can avoid working in for a few weeks.
Or do I grab the shovel and heft it to the woods or compost heap.

Thanks

Cheryl

this sure brightened my day reading all the responses from everyone
about this, humor, serious solutions, great feedback. showed me that
the newsgroup is still alive and thriving.........I miss just sitting
and reading what I want to instead of having to watch the clock and
wonder when my time at the library will be over. they're changing the
hours August 4th. earlier times (8 a.m. to 8 pm M & Th.) and 9 a.m. to
5 Tu, We & Fr. closed Sat and Sun, which means no more
Saturday.....comics and wreck gardening will have to be five days a
week. BTW, INCREDIBLE skunk wash solution that absolutely 100% works.
because I tried it not once, but several times when Sugar and Smeagol
were skunked not once, but several times in a course of a few weeks
and then again this year before we were evicted from Faerie
Holler.........
2# box of baking soda (yes, some grocery stores have a 2 pound box,
mine does, it's called Food City) ten bottles of hydrogen peroxide
gotten at Dollar Store, Dollar General store, anywhere that it's
cheap, like 25c a bottle or under $1.00. at least two cups of baking
soda and all the bottles of peroxide into a bowl, then mix it up and
sponge it on the skunked fur. sadly it doesn't work when the poor
mutt has gotten a full facial spray like Sugar did.....where it
IMMEDIATELY worked.........took the odor away INSTANTLY, her eyes, her
poor ears and nose and mouth exuded skunk odor for many, many days,
and you can't rinse eyes, ears (deep inside) nose or mouths with this
solution. it's safe though. works like a charm and 1000 times better
than the Wives tale solution of tomato juice baths. it apparently
doesn't work regardless of the idea that the Vitamin C is what makes
it work......the peroxide and soda solution works every time and is
cheaper than the overpriced tiny bottle of "Skunk OFF" that you can
get at the Vet's.............which is why I learned of this. my Vet's
secreteary knew I was fund short and told me the solution. I used it
again this year when Sugar got it again, and it worked like a charm.
now I keep peroxide bottles and a 2 pound box of baking soda tucked
away for just that reason. even if I do live in the city
maddie gardening in the heat and humidity of eastern Tennessee zone
7b, Sunset zone 36? (now I'll have to look that one up too) harvesting
beans, tomato's, cow horn peppers, naturtiums and lots of love and
memories to share with you soon surrounded by the Cherokee National
Forest and Appalachian mountains in the green bowl