Old 31-07-2008, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant ID please

On 7/31/08 9:23 AM, in article , "Digi"
wrote:

Hi I am new to the forum and I have just moved to a new house and was
wondering if you could help me ID this plant please ?

[image:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...1_742x600.jpg]

If I have posted this in the wrong place I am sorry and please feel
free to move the thread,

Thanks

Digi.

Hey Digi, where are you? It could make a difference. Also, a shot of the
leaves and the height....

Cheryl

Old 31-07-2008, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Digi

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus
ruber.
Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure,
but the
foliage looks almost right from what I can see.
Toni, the flowers don't look quite right for Pentas, which have very
precise
5 petalled "stars" if I remember correctly?

Emilie
NorCal
Old 31-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Isaak View Post
Hey Digi, where are you? It could make a difference. Also, a shot of the
leaves and the height....
Cheryl
Hi Cheryl

Thank you for your reply.

I am in Northern Ireland

I just took a quick shot of the plant. I was wondering if it was a weed or a plant. Not seen one of these before and my books don't help.

I can't get another shot for a few days as I have to pop back to the old house to pick up the rest of my stuff.

Sorry.

Any help ion the ID would be most helpful.

Thank you.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

[image:http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...plant1_742x600.
jpg]

If I have posted this in the wrong place I am sorry and please feel
free to move the thread,

Thanks

Digi.

--
Digi

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus
ruber.

You can see my Red Valerian for comparison.
http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...CGuBX4sg%3D%3D

Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure,
but the
foliage looks almost right from what I can see.
Toni, the flowers don't look quite right for Pentas, which have very
precise
5 petalled "stars" if I remember correctly?

Emilie
NorCal

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

mleblanca said:

On Jul 31, 6:23 am, Digi wrote:
Hi I am new to the forum and I have just moved to a new house and

was
wondering if you could help me ID this plant please ?

[image:http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...to/1aplant1_74
2x600.jpg]

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus
ruber.
Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure,
but the
foliage looks almost right from what I can see.

I second this ID.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/08 6:23 AM, in article
, "Pat Kiewicz"
wrote:

mleblanca said:

On Jul 31, 6:23 am, Digi wrote:
Hi I am new to the forum and I have just moved to a new house and

was
wondering if you could help me ID this plant please ?

[image:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...to/1aplant1_74
2x600.jpg]

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus
ruber.
Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure,
but the
foliage looks almost right from what I can see.

I second this ID.

That was my first thought as well.

Cheryl

Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 1, 3:23 am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
mleblanca said:

On Jul 31, 6:23 am, Digi wrote:
Hi I am new to the forum and I have just moved to a new house and

was
wondering if you could help me ID this plant please ?

[image:http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...to/1aplant1_74
2x600.jpg]

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus
ruber.
Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure,
but the
foliage looks almost right from what I can see.

I second this ID.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

You will want to keep the old flowers deadheaded as it can produce
a profusion of seedlings.
It's a great plant to attract Butterflies!
Emilie
Old 02-08-2008, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/1/08 11:05 PM, in article
, "mleblanca"

mleblanca said:

On Jul 31, 6:23 am, Digi wrote:
Hi I am new to the forum and I have just moved to a new house and

was
wondering if you could help me ID this plant please ?

[image:
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...to/1aplant1_74
2x600.jpg]

It looks rather like Jupiter's Beard aka Red Valerian. Centranthus
ruber.
Without leaf closeup as Cheryl says, it is difficult to say for sure,
but the
foliage looks almost right from what I can see.

I second this ID.

After enlightenment, the laundry.

You will want to keep the old flowers deadheaded as it can produce
a profusion of seedlings.
It's a great plant to attract Butterflies!
Emilie

I had a second thought - could it be one of the "Feelings" phlox - the red
cultivar?

Cheryl