Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree root danger? ? ?

We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches from
the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub, but it's
now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger the
foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks to buckle
up.

Is this a danger?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
dar dar is offline

On Aug 1, 6:36*am, "Ray" wrote:
We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches from
the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub, but it's
now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger the
foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks to buckle
up.

Is this a danger?

Ray -

I'm new here.......

You might want to check out: allexperts.com
I'd look up the type of tree that you have, say for instance: Blue
Spruce Root System
I read what they have there for that particular type of tree and it's
root system. You can ask them a question as well.

We have a huge tree-like holly that was once a wee holly bush (plant
that was under 6 inches) that I received for XMAS one year. Over the
years, it's now over 25ft. high. The reason why we haven't
transplanted it is due to it attracting honey bees every
spring.......

This holly bush has certainly ruined our driveway and surrounding
walk!!! When we decide to replace the whole driveway and the walk
area, we'll try and transplant the holly bush, now tree. We'd like
the honeybees to return......

Hope this will help you....

Take care and be well out there! Debra
Old 01-08-2008, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote in message
We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches
from the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub,
but it's now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger
the foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks to
buckle up.

Is this a danger?

Tree roots go through rock via hydraulic pressure both laterally and
downwards. More likely, the rock will have fissures or fractures. Tree
roots are notorious for finding leaky pipes.

A tree is wonderful for its beauty and the shade it provides a home.
However, the same can be a fire danger. Branching in vicinity of the eaves
can produce poor air movement, and consequential damage from fungal growth.
This condition is more often seen with vines that crawl the side of the
house.

These are the dice you toss, what are your chances?
--
Dave

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Ray" wrote in message
We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches
from the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub,
but it's now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger
the foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks to
buckle up.

Is this a danger?

It depends on the quality of the foundation. If you have little cracks
roots will grow in there. They tend to grow towards foundation. In nature
when a tree falls borers and such create holes in nurse log and roots then
grow in the chambers made by the latter. We suggest keeping trees back at
least 10' from structures. Some useful information on trees can be found
he
www.shigoandtrees.com

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article UyCkk.579$Ht4.367@trnddc01, "Ray"
wrote:

We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches from
the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub, but it's
now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger the
foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks to buckle
up.

Is this a danger?

Mature spruce has a circular root-width of 25 feet round. Yours sounds
mature at 30 feet height, so I'm guessing it has had roots all overt the
side of the foundation for a long, long while. If it hasn't done any harm
yet, its roots likely already decided not to develop in the "dry"
direction through or under a foundation. Ten inches is damnably close to a
house, though, and even I'm surprised that the tree hasn't gotten big
enough around to press on the eaves.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ray wrote:
We have a spruce or fir tree which came up on its own, about 10 inches
from the foundation of our house. At first it seemed to be just a shrub,
but it's now grown into a tree about 30 feet high.

We like the tree, but we're concerned that the root system may endanger
the foundation, much the way that tree roots sometimes cause sidewalks
to buckle up.

Is this a danger?

I would have to say that having _any_ 30-foot tree 10 inches form the house
is a very bad idea unless you are living in a tree house and that is your
support.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]