Old 16-08-2008, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tree cutting and mulch

I am getting a tree cut down.
Is it true these tree cutters make mulch out of the trees and sell
them for profit?
I got $450 for a maple that is about 10 feet tall.
Does that sound like a reasonable price?
Old 16-08-2008, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Healthy Stealthy wrote:

I am getting a tree cut down.
Is it true these tree cutters make mulch out of the trees and sell
them for profit?
I got $450 for a maple that is about 10 feet tall.
Does that sound like a reasonable price?

About here mulch is considered a waste product that has tipping fees.
I had to go out of my way to find people chipping and ask to have it
dropped. Now I get called. This over a ten year time frame.

Ten foot tree $450 insane. Dig it out by hand. Do you live under a
bridge ?

Bill

Ps There are chips and there are shredded wood. I prefer the first
with not two much green so I contact early and late. Pine is good any
time. Poison Ivy is bad any time.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Old 17-08-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Healthy Stealthy
GOOD QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a fair price for removal. The chips should compost for at least
1 year. The parenchyma cells when chipped get their contents (protoplasm)
smeared all over the place. This attracts undesirables that can and do do
nasty things to trees above as well as below ground for trees. They also
attack defenseless cells. Also fresh chips can greatly increase the
likelihood of getting artillery fungus on you house. Composting for a year
will greatly reduce that. This information comes from someone that did
hundreds of thousands of cultures as a mycologist. Fresh chips (disease
potential). Composted chips (Food for the soil with many benefits for trees
when applied CORRECTLY and not touching the trunk flare at the base of the
tree.)

I sell dump truck loads of composted tree trimmings 2-3-4 years old for
about 200.00 which is about 7 yards of good quality mulch. As far as mulch
goes.
Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

Old 17-08-2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

snip

I sell dump truck loads of composted tree trimmings 2-3-4 years old for
about 200.00 which is about 7 yards of good quality mulch. As far as
mulch
goes.

So proud of yourself ripping people off by the yard. I can get free
dumptruck loads for free at my local recycle center. Bring the dumper
and they'll even fill it for you.

You think 450 dollars is a good price for a small tree removal? Wow,
maybe I should buy a chainsaw and hire some monkeys.

That is about $28.57 a yard. It's either a great deal, or an OK deal
depending on things like whether it includes delivery (that makes it a
really good deal) and the availability of compost and the local market.
Where I live, that is a not a bad deal, I would pay that much for a yard of
composted tree trimmings. How many of use live near recycle centers that
give it away for free? I don't, and never have.

Old 17-08-2008, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Jangchub
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:41:42 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

[...]

He made up those prices. No one ever hires him for anything. Not a second
time certainly. 'Round here what he claims to sell for $200 the truckload
ranges in cost from $15 to fill your own truck no matter what size truck
you drive in with, or in "expensive" $10 per ton. Price never goes up
because if you look around there's always someone offering chips for free
(locally Anderson's Tree Service lets you come and get the chips for
free). If you don't have your own truck then it can cost another $55 to
$80 for nearby delivery.

Obviously he's just making crap up again. But you let him slip by with
that imaginary threat of "artillery fungus in the house" routine. I'm sure
even HIS house doesn't have the conditions to support artillery fungus
indoors, though if anyone in the world does have a house ankle deep in
damp sawdust, I guess it would be his place. And I could also believe that
the of the guys who would be dumping infected chips in peoples' yards,
sympleass would be one of 'em! So the only question is: did he really make
his grandma pay him $200 to have her place ruined?

-paggers
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com
Old 17-08-2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Its fresh chips. We work for people that prefer to buy the good quality
mulch we get.

You think 450 dollars is a good price for a small tree removal? Wow,
maybe I should buy a chainsaw and hire some monkeys.

Again you are not a tree person and have no idea the cost of doing business.
And you refer to tree climbers as monkeys? Your advice for free is a rip
off. You are not a part of the tree care industry and do not dictate our
prices. We calculate the cost and many other things. Maybe you should
forget about the chain saw and just comment on topics you understand.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 17-08-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Zootal" wrote in message
snip

[...]

Sure, any future questions you can address them to
and I will be glad to help you. If I do not
have the answer I will hook you up with Tree Biologist in the research field
of the US FOREST SERVICE. Real good people.

Old 17-08-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"paghat" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I have been doing MODERN ARBORICULTURE by the book since 1991. You are not
in the tree care industry and have no credentials to make these claims
You are ignorant of tree biology and mycology. You are a false prophet! I
sell top quality mulch for the going price in our area. Most sold other
places is bark mulch and stuff mixed with sludge. Not ours. I also sell
certified organic mushroom soil. It is 300.00 a dump load. It cost me a
day of work to get it and deliver it. My clients are very please. Please
crawl back under the rock you came out. You write nonsense.

We are hehttp://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com

where are you?

Old 17-08-2008, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Again you are not a tree person and have no idea the cost of doing
business. And you refer to tree climbers as monkeys? Your advice for free
is a rip off. You are not a part of the tree care industry and do not
dictate our prices. We calculate the cost and many other things. Maybe
you should forget about the chain saw and just comment on topics you
understand.

Who is "we", yard boy? What business, yard boy? You live in an apartment,
and have no business address, no business communications, and recently have
removed any reference to your alleged business and education from your web
site, why? Who is your employer that has the trucks you claim, and the
business you claim?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 18-08-2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 10:19:34 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

snip

[...]

I was talking mainly about the assertion that 450 dollars to remove
one small tree being a great deal. I have climax live oaks and when
they come in to trim them annually way up in the canopy where I can't
reach they charge me about 350 dollars and they are here for about 6
or 8 hours, three men and they then haul it all away, so they clean up
every piece of debris. Live oaks are majestic, but major trash trees
as well. I think it is exorbitant to pay that much for removing a
small tree. One could argue a VERY small tree at ten feet tall.

Sure and the Arborist in Texas use wound dressing as well.

Old 18-08-2008, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Again you are not a tree person and have no idea the cost of doing
business. And you refer to tree climbers as monkeys? Your advice for
free is a rip off. You are not a part of the tree care industry and do
not dictate our prices. We calculate the cost and many other things.
Maybe you should forget about the chain saw and just comment on topics
you understand.

Who is "we", yard boy? What business, yard boy? You live in an
apartment, and have no business address, no business communications, and
recently have removed any reference to your alleged business and education
from your web site, why? Who is your employer that has the trucks you
claim, and the business you claim?

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

You still know nothing about trees salvage hog. You claim to be a
consulting forester?
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/forestry/staples.htm
Yet you refuse to define what you are. Besides a fool which understands
nothing about trees let alone forest.

Old 18-08-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:25:32 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

I have been doing MODERN ARBORICULTURE by the book since 1991. You are
not
in the tree care industry and have no credentials to make these claims
You are ignorant of tree biology and mycology. You are a false prophet!
sell top quality mulch for the going price in our area. Most sold other
places is bark mulch and stuff mixed with sludge. Not ours. I also sell
certified organic mushroom soil. It is 300.00 a dump load. It cost me a
day of work to get it and deliver it. My clients are very please. Please
crawl back under the rock you came out. You write nonsense.

We are hehttp://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com

where are you?

Where are your credentials?

Hanging on my wall. Where are yours in tree care?