Old 30-08-2008, 04:19 AM
Registered User

Default What is the point of slugs?

Why do they eat everything and where do they come from? How often must they multiply??! What do they do? besides eat my garden and ooze slime! Is pouring salt on them cruel? do they know they are dying or am I causing other harm by doing this? Help! Ive tried everything else!
Old 30-08-2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Why do they eat everything

Because they are hungry.

and where do they come from?

God made them - ask Him

How often must they multiply??!

There is no "must" associated with their reproductive habits - they eat,
they poop, and they multiply. The latter two are probably somewhat
proportional to how much they do the first.

What do they do? besides eat my garden and ooze slime!

Eat. Poop. Multiply. Ooze slime.

Is pouring salt on them cruel? do they know they are dying or am I
causing other harm by doing this?

That is a very good question! Are they self-aware? Are they automatons? Can
they even feel pain? Are they no more conscious then a computer program? A
computer can be programmed to give responses that indicate sorry, pain,
etc., but it has no self-awareness that can suffer. Are slugs any better
then that? I doubt anyone knows.

Help! Ive tried everything else!

Turn off your computer and go outside and play. And watch out for the slugs

Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Registered User

I understand birds eat slugs now, I didnt want to harm any
wildlife by using salt but Im being persecuted by slugs and
snails and its become a standing joke me going out on slug
patrol armed with the table salt at dusk. Im also feeling a
little guilty as I was throwing the salted corpses over my
neighbours fence and he keeps pigeons so I have just set up
a few traps around the garden that I found online -
1.beer in a saucer, 2.rings of gravel, and 3.leaves I trimmed
today that looked like a favoured main course placed away
from the borders to try and deter them. Im also in search of
copper strippage. Im sure one of, if not all these techniques
will prove fruitful. regards.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapless hoe. View Post
Why do they eat everything and where do they come from? How often must they multiply??! What do they do? besides eat my garden and ooze slime! Is pouring salt on them cruel? do they know they are dying or am I causing other harm by doing this? Help! Ive tried everything else!
Our factory only produce one series product-metaldehyde. A type pesticide with especial temptation for mollusks kills of snail,slug and so on in thousands,which is used the prevention and elimination of snail and slug in the fields and the gardens.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly
"The larvae of most species are specialized predators and feed on other larvae,
terrestrial snails, and slugs. Some are so specialized that they have grooved
mandibles which deliver digestive fluids directly to their prey. The diet of adults
is variable. It has been reported that some are predatory, while others find food on
plant pollen and sometimes nectar."

"In the United States, one of the most famous sightings of fireflies blinking in
unison occurred near Elkmont, Tennessee in the Great Smoky Mountains during the
second week of June 2005[1]. Congaree National Park in South Carolina is another host
to the phenomenon [2]."

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:51:39 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:
wrote in news:48bdeb80$0$1337
:

evidently, firefly larvae feed off slugs.

any particular species of firefly? there are thousands of
species worldwide.