Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Registered User

Location: Kent, WA - just south of Seattle
Default tree id please

I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? I have a
picture of it here http://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm . If
the link doesn't work, it had soft, fuzzy pink flower poofs all over
it (although the ones in the pic are starting to fade and loose color)
and the leaves were sets of lots of little leaves coming from the
middle stem.

Thanks for the help. Once I know what it is I'd like to find out if
it'll grow in my yard so need the id .
Old 02-09-2008, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Lydia wrote:

I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? I have a
picture of it here http://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm . If
the link doesn't work, it had soft, fuzzy pink flower poofs all over
it (although the ones in the pic are starting to fade and loose color)
and the leaves were sets of lots of little leaves coming from the
middle stem.

Thanks for the help. Once I know what it is I'd like to find out if
it'll grow in my yard so need the id .

Mimosa - invasive in many areas, mine included, but the blooms smell
heavenly so I've got 3 or 4 and mow or weed the rest.

Kate (Nashville TN)
Old 02-09-2008, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Lydia" wrote in message
I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? I have a
picture of it here http://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm .

Mimosa- Albizia julibrissin??

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1764/

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 02-09-2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message
"Lydia" wrote in message
I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? I have a
picture of it here http://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm .

Mimosa- Albizia julibrissin??

Thanks for the help. Once I know what it is I'd like to find out if
it'll grow in my yard so need the id .

They are highly susceptable to borer infestation. That may be local but
ever tree in this area eventually has to be removed because of borers.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:16:54 -0700 (PDT), Lydia
wrote:

I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? I have a
picture of it here http://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm . If
the link doesn't work, it had soft, fuzzy pink flower poofs all over
it (although the ones in the pic are starting to fade and loose color)
and the leaves were sets of lots of little leaves coming from the
middle stem.

Thanks for the help. Once I know what it is I'd like to find out if
it'll grow in my yard so need the id .

I've seen Mimosa trees in California and east Tennessee. They are
prolific.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Registered User

On Sep 1, 5:16*pm, Lydia wrote:
I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. *Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? *I have a
picture of it herehttp://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm. *If
the link doesn't work, it had soft, fuzzy pink flower poofs all over
it (although the ones in the pic are starting to fade and loose color)
and the leaves were sets of lots of little leaves coming from the
middle stem.

Thanks for the help. *Once I know what it is I'd like to find out if
it'll grow in my yard so need the id .

Thank you all... yep, that's the tree. After looking online a little,
I see it may not be the tree of my dreams. Sounds somewhat invasive
and not long lived. I'm looking for one more tree for my South
Seattle yard and I think I'll keep looking. It sure was pretty,
though, at the zoo.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:13:48 -0700 (PDT), Lydia
wrote:

On Sep 1, 5:16*pm, Lydia wrote:
I was at a zoo in Oregon recently and saw a tree that I want to know
more about. *Can you tell me what kind of tree it is? *I have a
picture of it herehttp://home.comcast.net/~lyddie/whattree.htm. *If
the link doesn't work, it had soft, fuzzy pink flower poofs all over
it (although the ones in the pic are starting to fade and loose color)
and the leaves were sets of lots of little leaves coming from the
middle stem.

Thanks for the help. *Once I know what it is I'd like to find out if
it'll grow in my yard so need the id .

Thank you all... yep, that's the tree. After looking online a little,
I see it may not be the tree of my dreams. Sounds somewhat invasive
and not long lived. I'm looking for one more tree for my South
Seattle yard and I think I'll keep looking. It sure was pretty,
though, at the zoo.

Closest thing to it is a bottlebrush, but I am not sure it'd tolerate
the damp climate where you are.

Boron
Old 03-09-2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Looks like Mimosa.
Avery beautiful tree. A good Dr. friend of mine tried and tried to get some
started. They seem to do better when they grow on their own.
They are common on properties where I work in Pennsylvania.
Next time I see one I will dissect it for you and tell you some unique
features.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 14-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered User

I see it may not be the timberline of my dreams. Sounds somewhat invasive and not continued lived. I'm searching for one added timberline for my South Seattle backyard and I anticipate I'll accumulate looking. It abiding was pretty, though, at the zoo.
Hydroponics Gardening