Old 03-10-2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Liriope: sun or shade?

Does this do better in lots of shade, lots of sun or partial shade? To
fertilize or not-- if so, when?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:50:41 -0700 (PDT), val189
wrote:

Does this do better in lots of shade, lots of sun or partial shade? To
fertilize or not-- if so, when?

Thanks

I have some growing in my shade garden. It gets some early morning
sun and dappled sun during the day. It gets fertilized throughout
the year, but like most of my shade plants, in small amounts. It puts
out bloom spikes.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

val189 wrote:
Does this do better in lots of shade, lots of sun or partial shade? To
fertilize or not-- if so, when?

Thanks

In addition to the ones intentionally planted I have clumps of self-seeded
liriope, probably spread by birds, around my property. Some are in
nearly-full sun and others are in nearly-full shade. All of them seem to be
doing well and receive no attention except that I try to avoid getting them
with the weed whacker.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 03-10-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/2/2008 4:50 PM, val189 wrote:
Does this do better in lots of shade, lots of sun or partial shade? To
fertilize or not-- if so, when?

Thanks

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", it can take full sun except
in the hottest climates where it needs part shade. It can also take
full shade in any climate.

The plants need only light feeding. Excessive salts in the soil (often
caused by overfeeding) causes leaf tips to turn brown.

The plants do need soil that drains well.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 03-10-2008, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
, val189
wrote:

Does this do better in lots of shade, lots of sun or partial shade? To
fertilize or not-- if so, when?

Thanks

In lots of sun it blooms really well but needs much more watering or its
grass gets ugly. In partial shade it still blooms well and can almost go
without watering for the grass to thrive. In deep shade it hangs on but
blooms poorly. Depending on species, some liriopes, if they like their
location, will spread aggressively & displace more important plants in
their path, so it can be a good thing if they're slightly stressed & not
spreading too rapidly.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com

Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 3, 10:03*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 10/2/2008 4:50 PM, val189 wrote:

Does this do better in lots of shade, lots of sun or partial shade? To
fertilize or not-- if so, when?

Thanks

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", it can take full sun except
in the hottest climates where it needs part shade. *It can also take
full shade in any climate.

The plants need only light feeding. *Excessive salts in the soil (often
caused by overfeeding) causes leaf tips to turn brown.

The plants do need soil that drains well.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

What is this group about?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 3, 6:25 pm, wrote:

What is this group about?

We "talk of many things: mulch--and chips--and pruning wax--of
cabbages--
and stings--\
and why the day's so boiling hot--and whether trees have rings."

[IMG] code is On

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Sun and shade MAC North Carolina 5 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 19-03-2003 05:08 AM