Old 30-10-2008, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Does newspaper mulch deter deer?

Greetings All:

My first post here. I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. Is this true? I am looking
for any articles that might delve into this subject as well, if you know of
any. Many thanks!

Bob

Old 30-10-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"BG" wrote:

My first post here. �I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. �Is this true? �

NY Times is totally repulsive.

Old 31-10-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

The only thing I found regarding newspaper and deer repellent is for a
ground barrier cover, 3-4 feet wide. The newspaper is not mulched. Wire
mesh is usually used for that purpose.

--
Dave

If it looks like fish, smells like fish, its not
a cantaloupe.

Old 31-10-2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 30, 11:27*am, "BG" wrote:
Greetings All:

My first post here. *I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. *Is this true? *I am looking
for any articles that might delve into this subject as well, if you know of
any. *Many thanks!

Bob

No. Only sure fire way to deter deer is a fence.
Old 31-10-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:27:39 -0400, "BG"
wrote:

Greetings All:

My first post here. I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. Is this true? I am looking
for any articles that might delve into this subject as well, if you know of
any. Many thanks!

Bob

I don't believe newspaper would work. I am using hardware cloth to
protect plants from deer. Electric fence or dog works too.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 30, 11:27*am, "BG" wrote:
Greetings All:

My first post here. *I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer...

When I tried it, I found that they got hooked on the comics pages and
Dear Abbey.
So it just kept them around.

Didn't work

cheers

oz....but old copies of Hunting Digest kept them away
Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
"BG" wrote:

My first post here. �I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. �Is this true? �I am looking
for any articles that might delve into this subject as well, if you know of
any. �Many thanks!

Bob

I don't believe newspaper would work. �I am using hardware cloth to
protect plants from deer. �Electric fence or dog works too.

Dogs don't work except their barking will keep you awake at night. A
deer can easily back down a dog. Typically deer will run off but
occasionally a deer will take a stand, either during times when forage
is scarce, to protect its young, or for no apparent reason at all...
sometimes they just had enough of some pesky mutt. Many times I've
seen neihgbor's dogs in pursuit of deer, when suddenly one will stop,
turn, and begin stomping and snorting, the dog will stop dead in its
tracks and creep backwards, then turn and cower while whinning as it
slowly retreats home in defeat and shame. Only an utter fool will sig
their dog on deer, a deer can very easily bash in a dog's head with
one kick, and the larger the dog the easier the deer can bash its head
in, larger dogs present a larger target and larger dogs are slower...
no dog's reflexes can match the reflexes of a deer. Even a pack of
coyotes on the hunt will only focus on a deer that is badly maimed/
sick. Deer are very docile and would rather take flight than fight
but don't back one ito a corner, there are many cases of a deer
killing a man. The only method that works to keep deer out of your
cabbage patch is a proper fence... all those expensive repellents are
marketed to those with more dollars than brain cells. Even typical
electric and barbed wire fences do nothing, deer can easily leap over
those. There are many farms where I live that have electric and
barbed wire fences to keep livestock in, but I'll almost always see
deer in with the livestock eating right along with them... the typical
livestock fencing has about as much chance of detering deer as it has
of detering birds. In large open areas where deer can run you need a
fence with a minimum height of six feet. You can get by with five
foot fencing for small gardens because deer won't usually leap into an
enclosed area where they can't get enough running start to jump out.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

News paper does not make good mulch.

Composted wood chips and leaves does.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 30, 11:27*am, "BG" wrote:
Greetings All:

My first post here. *I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. *Is this true? *I am looking
for any articles that might delve into this subject as well, if you know of
any. *Many thanks!

Bob

Haha there is no definate way to deter deer... they do what they want
no matter what. Even a fence won't stop them, they can jump pretty
damn high. Some people find Liquid Fence effective but deer just do
what they please anyways.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

SYMPLASTLESS222 wrote:
Mulching Trees and woody plants.-
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Ah, the yard boys traditional welcome to a newcomer.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SYMPLASTLESS222 ie. simplebrainless1" wrote:
News paper does not make good mulch.

Composted wood chips and leaves does.

Compost makes the worst mulch... you obviously haven't a clue about
the difference between compost and mulch, they are NOT synonymous.
UNcomposted paper/cardboard makes excellent mulch, as it composts its
mulching value decreses.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"SYMPLASTLESS222 ie. simplebrainless1" wrote:
News paper does not make good mulch.

Composted wood chips and leaves does.

Compost makes the worst mulch... you obviously haven't a clue about
the difference between compost and mulch, they are NOT synonymous.
UNcomposted paper/cardboard makes excellent mulch, as it composts its
mulching value decreses.

Have seen the word "mulch" used in 3 different ways (definitions) in public
newsgroups, and public internet websites. One of which seems to correspond
with the standard definition of compost used in gardening/lawn topics.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote:

"SYMPLASTLESS222 ie. simplebrainless1" wrote:
News paper does not make good mulch.

Composted wood chips and leaves does.

Compost makes the worst mulch... you obviously haven't a clue about
the difference between compost and mulch, they are NOT synonymous.
UNcomposted paper/cardboard makes excellent mulch, as it composts its
mulching value decreses.

Have seen the word "mulch" used in 3 different ways (definitions) in public
newsgroups, and public internet websites. �

There are a lot of idiots who frequent internet groups who make things
up because they don't know and are too stupid to use reference
material... perhaps you should consult a horticultural reference.

Mulch is anything covering soil that smothers plant growth, chopped up
rubber tires and gravel is used for mulch. Compost is a *growing*
medium, its function is to promote plant growth, precisely the
opposite of mulch. Naturally it's smarter to use UNcomposted organic
matter for mulch rather than rubber or pebbles. But once organic
mulch is composted it's called *humus* (humus is the organic portion
of soil) an excellent growing medum... only *fresh* UNcomposted
organic matter can be considered mulch. Folks use wood chips as
mulch, however wood chips are not compost, wood chips are well, wood
chips. Once wood chips compost the composted portion is no longer
mulch, which is why in order to be functional as mulch wood chips need
constant replenishment. Compost is not nor can it ever be mulch. In
a horticultural sense compost is more accurately used as a verb rather
than a noun... compost is an action, something that occurs to turn
organic mulch into humus. Think of compost as the action that occurs
in your alimentary canal that turns food into shit... digesting and
composting are synonymous... unfortunately many have a direct link
from rectum to brain... what else can explain why so many are
incapable of comprehending the distinctly different concepts of mulch,
compost, and humus.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

On 30/10/08 17:30, Sheldon wrote:
"BG" wrote:
My first post here. �I know newspapers work well for mulch, but I also heard
that it works to fend off deer, rabbits, etc. �Is this true? �

NY Times is totally repulsive.

USA Today will scare off anybody.