Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default newspaper for mulch

I've seen suggestions for using newspaper for mulch and weed control.
No doubt this works, but I've always been concerned about toxins and
heavy metal build up.

Should I worry about this or is ink and newsprint safe these days?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

ljp other wrote:

I've seen suggestions for using newspaper for mulch and weed control.
No doubt this works, but I've always been concerned about toxins

So far as I know, newspapers are all using soy-based ink, so no concern
about heavy metals, etc. You could certainly ask your local printers to be
sure. I use it quite a bit, covered with mulch hay/grass
clippings/whatever, then just till it in at season's end.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
ljp other wrote:

I've seen suggestions for using newspaper for mulch and weed control.
No doubt this works, but I've always been concerned about toxins and
heavy metal build up.

Should I worry about this or is ink and newsprint safe these days?

I'd trash the color stuff.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"ljp other" wrote in message
I've seen suggestions for using newspaper for mulch and weed control.
No doubt this works, but I've always been concerned about toxins and
heavy metal build up.

I have a similar question regarding used Xerox copy paper. I have that in
abundance, and have been using it several layers thick as a kill mulch, but
I am concerned that the paper might not be good for the soil. Does anyone
know about copy paper?
--S.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Suzanne D. said:

"ljp other" wrote in message

I've seen suggestions for using newspaper for mulch and weed control.
No doubt this works, but I've always been concerned about toxins and
heavy metal build up.

I have a similar question regarding used Xerox copy paper. I have that in
abundance, and have been using it several layers thick as a kill mulch, but
I am concerned that the paper might not be good for the soil. Does
anyone know about copy paper?

As far as I know, there is nothing particularly special about copy paper
these days. (I remember when "plain paper copier" was the new and
wonderful thing about copiers, so that may not have always been so.)

The black toner pigment is carbon and iron oxides. The carrier consists
of a resin with waxes and agents that respond to electrostatic charge.

I haven't any qualms about composting my shredded copy paper. Changing
the toner cartridge and cleaning the laser printer expose me to far more
toner than might come back to me from the entire gardening process.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

After enlightenment, the laundry.

email valid but not regularly monitored

for better results:
change user name to 'kiewicz'
change domain name to 'comcast.net'

Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

As far as I know, there is nothing particularly special about copy paper
these days. (I remember when "plain paper copier" was the new and
wonderful thing about copiers, so that may not have always been so.)

The black toner pigment is carbon and iron oxides. The carrier consists
of a resin with waxes and agents that respond to electrostatic charge.

I haven't any qualms about composting my shredded copy paper. Changing
the toner cartridge and cleaning the laser printer expose me to far more
toner than might come back to me from the entire gardening process.

That makes sense; thanks.
--S.

Mulch shredded newspaper virginia_scout Gardening 12 18-05-2010 07:20 AM
Does newspaper mulch deter deer? BG[_2_] Gardening 20 12-03-2009 03:42 PM
recycling news - newspaper pots Salty Thumb Gardening 5 23-02-2004 02:34 AM
Weed mat vs Newspaper Gen Australia 10 21-07-2003 04:33 PM
Newspaper seed tubes? Charlie United Kingdom 14 29-03-2003 07:56 AM