Old 25-11-2008, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default house plant temps

So far the sun room has not gotten below 50. I like to keep it 60 and
above, but we have had some really cold nights lately. So far everybody
looks good. One shrimp plant is growing as I watch, and I am trying to
decide whether or not to nip it off...
Jackie
NW Mississippi

Old 25-11-2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/24/2008 5:18 PM, Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
So far the sun room has not gotten below 50. I like to keep it 60 and
above, but we have had some really cold nights lately. So far everybody
looks good. One shrimp plant is growing as I watch, and I am trying to
decide whether or not to nip it off...
Jackie
NW Mississippi

I have house plants in four different rooms. The house is kept at
temperatures that are comfortable for my wife and me.

In the winter, that's 72F in the daytime and 65F at night. (We use an
electric blanket on our bed.)

In the summer, the airconditioner is set for 78F in the daytime and
usually off at night (with upstairs windows open while we sleep).
However, we usually don't turn on the airconditioner until outside
temperatures are in the mid-90s because our house just stays cool.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 25-11-2008, 12:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:18:17 -0500, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:

So far the sun room has not gotten below 50. I like to keep it 60 and
above, but we have had some really cold nights lately. So far everybody
looks good. One shrimp plant is growing as I watch, and I am trying to
decide whether or not to nip it off...
Jackie
NW Mississippi

One thing about overwintering houseplants--cut back on the frequency
of watering as most are in a resting period. I have a desert rose
that gets no water for the three winter months. Lower temperature
and less sunlight usually means less water. Once I killed a cactus
by keeping the same summer watering schedule--it rotted.
Old 29-11-2008, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
So far the sun room has not gotten below 50. *I like to keep it 60 and
above, but we have had some really cold nights lately. *So far everybody
looks good. *One shrimp plant is growing as I watch, and I am trying to
decide whether or not to nip it off...
Jackie
NW Mississippi

One thing about overwintering houseplants--cut back on the frequency
of watering as most are in a resting period. * I have a desert rose
that gets no water for the three winter months. * Lower temperature
and less sunlight usually means less water. * Once I killed a cactus
by keeping the same summer watering schedule--it rotted.

THAT is excellent for me to know!!! I have a desert rose that was
nipped in leaf, so I will put it too in the cooler area, and NOT water
it, and it should be fine....THANKS!!
maddie ALWAYS LEARNING!!
Old 29-11-2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Should the dirt get totally dry in the sunroom pots in winter?
Jackie

Old 29-11-2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 15:56:03 -0500, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:

Should the dirt get totally dry in the sunroom pots in winter?
Jackie

Depends. I have not watered my desert rose, crasula (Jade), and some
cactus since mid October. They are very dry, but in cool temperatures
(down to mid-forties at night). Some other plants (African violet,
draceana, fern, arrowhead) are given weekly waterings, although less
water than I normally give. My geraniums (still holding flowers)
have not been watered--trying to overwinter these in my garage. For
many plants it is best to underwater in winter, especially succulents
and cacti.

[IMG] code is On

winter temps agnatha3141 Orchids 5 01-12-2003 08:02 PM
Plant Temps? Dustin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:17 AM
will the freezing temps kill my plants? mike Gardening 5 10-04-2003 06:20 AM
Are cool house temps hurting my houseplants? The Wobulator Gardening 3 13-03-2003 01:44 AM
Propagator veg min temps ? Paul England United Kingdom 7 10-02-2003 07:20 PM