Old 30-11-2008, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Corn recommendations

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Zoot said:

So - where are the corn gardeners? What sweet corn has who grown that
did well for them?

I'm partial to the SE hybrids carried by Stokes. SE corn gives you a larger
window for harvest, in that it holds on the plant better before getting too
tough.

Stokes lists some of their sweet corn as particularly suited to northern
growers, by latitude. (Stokes is a Canadian company.) People in the
Pacific Northwest might also look to Territorial Seeds; I assume they
would stock varieties of sweet corn suited to their region.

In my opinion, sh2 type super sweet corns aren't worth the effort (less
vigor
+ overly sweet + not tender).

Here's what I grew this year:

Aladdin for an early corn, my first planting in May

Seneca Spring, second early

Mirai 301 BC (from Park Seed) for early mid-season

Lancelot for mid-season

Seneca Dancer (two plantings) for late harvest.

I time the first planting to the emerging oak leaves. Each planting after
that is made when the previous planting has emerged.

As far as timing the harvest, you have to learn to do it by feel. The husk
will have no room to 'give' when the ear is ready.

Here are a few more corn types from Johnnyseeds from Maine, USA. Be
sure to look at more details.

We grew Silver Queen and a golden whose name fails me. Have not grown
corn for 15 years. Squirrels , Raccoons and shade abetted that decision.

Bill

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...arch&search=co
rn

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 30-11-2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Zoot said:

[...]

Nope it was golden queen which we let go. The good white we really
liked was ³Merit².

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 30-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered User

Smile

Jangchub[_3_];823960']On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:41:14 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article
,
Jangchub
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:42:53 -0800, "Zoot"
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for corn varieties. This last year was a
short, cold, wet growing season and half of our corn never matured. Also, I
seem to have the best luck with yellow corn, worst luck with white and high
sugar corn.

Anyone have any comments on the robustness of white and high sugar corn,
versus 'normal' yellow corn, and any recommendations for short growing
seasons?

Immediately rent the movie, "King Corn," then let me know if you or
anyone need more corn.
Victoria

In all fairness, "King Corn" is about GMO, and to a lesser extent,
"dent" corn. The question here was in reference to sweet corn, which I
think I'm giving up on because of water consumption, and my lack of
skill in picking at the peak of ripeness.

You apparently didn't pay much attention.
Victoria

are there any sweet corn producers in your area? if there are go and
talk with them and get their recommendations on the types of corn they
grow. also u they may be able to direct u to their seed supplier and
sometimes gardeners are able to get corn from the suppliers.
as has already been mentioned your local Ag office would also be of good
help in getting info on certain kinds of corns and conditions that they
require so u could make a more informed decision on the hybrid u want .
now to harvesting corn--as was mentioned the ear would be filled out but
also u must check your corn every day--take a kernel out of
one of the ears to check it for ripeness if it tastes sweet and is not overly milky then its ripe.
good way to do corn: bring water in pot to rolling boil put the husked corn into your pot and then let it cook on full boil for
three minutes and no more--we have found this to be the best
way to do our corn .
good luck with your corn growing . cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 30-11-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:41:14 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

[...]

To what are you referring, and what do you base your opinion on?
As far as the corn is concerned, the one family farmer said that they
hadn't eaten any of the corn in 30 years of cultivating it but had used
it for meal. Otherwise, I payed as close attention to my developing corn
as I could, but I never got an ear that was close to ripe. They wee
either over or under ripe.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
Old 30-11-2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
"ZooTROLL" wrote:
See catalogs don't tell me anything.
You chose not to read all the descriptions.

* Notes lack of usefull content in reply....

*Plonk!* Goes yet another usenet bandwidth waster into the killfile for
lacking the decency to either give meaningfull answers or to keep their
mouth shut*.

And to those that commented on their corn experiences, thank you very much!

Old 30-11-2008, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ZooTROLL" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote:
"ZooTROLL" wrote:
See catalogs don't tell me anything.
You chose not to read all the descriptions.

* Notes lack of usefull content in reply....

*Plonk!*

You ungrateful *******.

It's obvious why you didn't read/comprehend all the descriptions...
you're incapable, you're a functional illiterate... "usefull" is not a
word.

There are 7-8 varietals that Burpee clearly advised are for a shorter
growing season.

This ZooTROLL putz just want's everyone to do his research, because
obviously he can't. And I'm positive his corn growing failure has
nothing whatsoever to do with the length of his gowing season, has all
to do with his otiose attitude and low IQ.

Old 30-11-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:00:46 -0800, Billy
wrote:

To what are you referring, and what do you base your opinion on?
As far as the corn is concerned, the one family farmer said that they
hadn't eaten any of the corn in 30 years of cultivating it but had used
it for meal. Otherwise, I payed as close attention to my developing corn
as I could, but I never got an ear that was close to ripe. They wee
either over or under ripe.

It was not only about GMO corn. It was about much more than that.

Simply fascinating, just fascinating.
But On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:42:53 -0800, "Zoot"
wrote:
I am looking for recommendations for corn varieties.

Your presumptuous, patronizing, and superficial explanation of the
unhealthy effects of the ubiquitous fractionations of corn and soybean
products in processed foods doesn't address the O.P.s question.
The movie, "Corn", had nothing to do with sweet corn, a recommended
variety of which is the subject of this post.

I do recommend the movie "Corn" to any who are interested in how
crop subsidies work, and who benefits from them. I'd also recommend
the books,"Omnivore's Dilemma", which has a section on prepared foods,
as well as "In Defense of Food" (both, as most of you know, by Michael
Pollan) for a discussion of the lack of nutrition in pre-prepared
foods.

Every processed food has corn in it, corn syrup, meal, whatever. It
is in everything we eat. It is fed in troughs to cattle to fatten
them up and people think corn fed is a good thing. It's the worst
crap for the poor cattle. They eat grass.

Yes, we already know that if the feed lot animal wasn't killed after six
months, it would die of ulcers anyway, but that should be left to a
different post.

So I base my opinion on your flippant answer. It was about MUCH more
than GMO corn, which by the way, is polluting the world.
Victoria

My answer was flippant, in your opinion, because I ignored the
bloody obvious? I was trying to point out that "Corn" is about
GMO and "Dent" corn and as such has no bearing on Zoot's post.
You remember Zoot, don't you?

So, not to put too fine a point on it, what would you plant for
an early ripening sweet corn (open pollinated or hybrid)?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:46:04 -0800, Billy
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

The correct name of the film is "King Corn." You didn't even get that
right, but rant off.
Victoria

You will notice the title of the thread, "Corn recommendations".
Maybe once you get your cranial-rectal inversion fixed, you'll be
able to read better. So, you have no recommendations except a DVD that
has nothing to do with sweet corn? Why did you even respond, when you
had nothing to say? That's just soooo you.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 07:57:13 -0800, Billy
wrote:

You will notice the title of the thread, "Corn recommendations".
Maybe once you get your cranial-rectal inversion fixed, you'll be
able to read better. So, you have no recommendations except a DVD that
has nothing to do with sweet corn? Why did you even respond, when you
had nothing to say? That's just soooo you.

I would, but your head is way up my ass.
Victoria

You would what? I love the usenet. Even a little gardening newsgroup
falls into the usual bullshit of name calling and off topic drifting.
Why don't you just call each other Nazis and get it over with?

Thankfully, reading newsgroups is by choice and one can choose when to
stop. So long...

- dave a
Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

You will notice the title of the thread, "Corn recommendations".
Maybe once you get your cranial-rectal inversion fixed, you'll be
able to read better. So, you have no recommendations except a DVD that
has nothing to do with sweet corn? Why did you even respond, when you
had nothing to say? That's just soooo you.

I would, but your head is way up my ass.
Victoria

You would what? I love the usenet. Even a little gardening newsgroup
falls into the usual bullshit of name calling and off topic drifting. Why
don't you just call each other Nazis and get it over with?

Thankfully, reading newsgroups is by choice and one can choose when to
stop. So long...

- dave a

A Killfile is a wonderfull thing. Look what happens when I ask a simple
question like what corn grows well? Victoria and a few others have a well
deserved place in my killfile.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Thanks to Zoot, who posed the question and thanks to Pat Kiewicz
for the response to corn varieties recommendations.
I'm still debating whether my garden can produce good, sweet corn, so
I'm looking at varieties again.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Billy wrote:

Thanks to Zoot, who posed the question and thanks to Pat Kiewicz
for the response to corn varieties recommendations.
I'm still debating whether my garden can produce good, sweet corn, so
I'm looking at varieties again.

My first year I had an awesome crop of corn, but it was a nice long warm dry
summer. Last year was short and wet, but even when it was warm and dry my
corn didn't grow well at all. I wish I knew what I grew my first year here.

But then, just because something grows good one year doesn't mean it will
the next. I don't think hybrids are exactly the same seed year after year.
Example: last year I grew about six Gentry Hybrid yellow squash plants. They
exploded out of ground, shed squash like you would not believe, and I had
awesome yellow squash rotting in piles because I could not eat it and give
it away fast enough. The dang things were everywhere, piled in the kitchen,
piled on the back porch, etc.

This year, I grew the same plants in a large plot with 4 or 5 other
varieties of squash, and everything did well except the Gentry Hybrids. The
plants were small, even stunted, and they produced very little squash. What
changed? Yes, it was a short cooler year, but my other squash (zucchinni,
scallop, and yellow crookneck) all exploded out of the ground, grew to be
huge, and dumped tons of squash on us. I still have a few zukes that grew 2
feet long sitting on the kitchen counter. We shred them for bread and
casseroles.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Zoot" wrote:

I still have a few zukes that grew 2
feet long sitting on the kitchen counter. We shred them for bread and
casseroles.

Don't ya just love gardening? :O)

Old 02-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered User

Smile

Billy[_5_];824244']In article ,
"Zoot" wrote:

I still have a few zukes that grew 2
feet long sitting on the kitchen counter. We shred them for bread and
casseroles.

Don't ya just love gardening? :O)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml

billy if u were wondering why i recommended going to a corn farmer
and asking them about corn hybrids its because a lot of times they
switch corn over the years and can tell u which one they found to
have better yields and what withstood the weather conditions the best.
whether its corn for feed or corn for people a farmer in different cases
can give u this information.
also a lot of times u can get samples of sweet corn from a farmers corn
seed distributor if the farmer sends u to them.
what do i base my answer that i gave before on experience i guess because my hubby and i grow corn here on our farm.
i have tried a few varities of northrup king, pioneer brands, as well as others over the years some good and others not to great. we did find the pioneer brand to be the better of some that we tried.
i understand what u said about the corn being not ripe on one hand and over
ripe on the other. it is really hard to judge ripens.
the only way i found works for me is checking the cobs for fullness and taking a kernel and trying it for taste. i dont know what other way there is that can help u. good luck with your corn. cyaaaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
sockiescat wrote:

billy if u were wondering why i recommended going to a corn farmer
and asking them about corn hybrids its because a lot of times they
switch corn over the years and can tell u which one they found to
have better yields and what withstood the weather conditions the best.
whether its corn for feed or corn for people a farmer in different
cases
can give u this information.
also a lot of times u can get samples of sweet corn from a farmers corn

I thank you for your time and your observations.

This gardening thing is as much an intellectual puzzle for me
as much as a source of healthy food. The constraints are being on the
north side of a hill, having six hours of full sun in my
optimum spots, and wanting to grow an open pollinated plant. I
have considered hybrid corn, sort of like training wheels, to get me
started. I've grown "Golden Bantam and a dent corn" for the last
couple of years. The "golden" for eating, and the dent as an
ornamental.

Next year I will either just grow seeds from this years "Golden
Bantam", or make my water company happy by not growing any corn.
It's just that fresh corn and tomatoes (maybe parsnips too) are the
Holy Grail for home gardeners.

Again, thanks for your advice.