Old 15-12-2008, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mulch

I am working on writing articles for associations..Please review and
comment.

Mulch, Trees and Woody Shrubs
About Mulch

Mulch, when the right material is used and applied properly, mulch is
very very very helpful in maintaining and increasing a tree’s
vitality. Vitality is the ability to grow under the conditions you
find yourself. Training without education makes robots while
education without training is waste. Waste is a human term for
improper management of a substance or thing. Please allow me to train
as well as educate you with respect to mulch. When mulch is applied
improperly it can greatly reduce the trees vitality over time. First,
lets take a closer look at the mulch itself. In a forest the soil of
trees receives a steady supply of mulch. This mulch would be made up
of many ingredients - shed leaves, flower parts, twigs, branches,
trunks as well as shed root hairs, non-woody roots, mycorrhizae and
woody roots. Wood is mostly cellulose. Many microorganisms in the
soil can breakdown cellulose back to glucose as food. In addition,
animal feces and animals that have died also constitute the mulch in a
forest. This amounts to the ingredients which make up the horizons in
the soil. This is where trees receive their genetic makeup. Trees
and woody shrubs come in groups. The best way to help a tree is by
providing as many of the natural ingredients which they would receive
in a forest. In the urban environment I choose to use composted tree
trimmings as mulch. Not fresh chips and not all bark mulch. The
reason is that fresh chips have protoplasm smeared all over the place
which attracts micros that attack defenseless living tree cells.
These micros can and do, do nasty things to trees above as well as
below ground. Second, outer bark of trees is made up of primarily
suberin which is long chains of fatty acids. While this bark mulch
has aesthetic value, the bark is of little value for providing energy-
releasing compounds to soil microorganisms. We can feed the soil with
composted wood chips and leaves. Composted manures are fine as long
as composted and applied correctly. Mixing mushroom soil with
composted wood chips and leaves is also fine. Trees are autotrophs
meaning that they manufacture their own food in a process called
photosynthesis. We do not feed trees, though we can feed the system.
There are always exceptions in nature. The ghost flower, which has no
chlorophyll, is a heterotroph, relying on someone or something else to
manufacture its food for them (animals are heterotrophs). Again, the
ghost flowers get their carbohydrates, food, by way of the
bicarbohydrate transfer of plants under ground. By feeding the soil
with mulch we are enhancing or feeding, the microorganisms in the
soil. These microorganisms help alter chemical elements in the soil
which are essential for healthy growth. They must be altered in order
to be absorbed by the tree or woody plants. There are 17 known
essential elements in which 14 come by way of the soil. Soil is a
substance made up of sands, silts, clays, decaying organic matter,
air, water and an enormous number of living organisms. Is it alive or
dead? Yes, is the answer. We have no word for a substance that is
both living and dead - wood, soil. In a forest, mulch comes in
different gradations from fine duff to large woody debris. Tree
absorbing roots will grow in large woody debris (nurse logs) and will
receive water during dry times. In the urban environment people
usually refer to the finer gradation when speaking of mulch. We do
bring ecoart nurse logs in on many occasions. Next we will talk about
proper application. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree
biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado’s, volcanic eruptions and
other abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the
boss.

Old 15-12-2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
I am working on writing articles for associations..Please review and
comment.

Mulch, Trees and Woody Shrubs
About Mulch

[section snipped out]

In addition,
animal feces and animals that have died also constitute the mulch in a
forest. This amounts to the ingredients which make up the horizons in
the soil. This is where trees receive their genetic makeup.
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree
biology.

Really? I thought plants received their genetic makeup from seeds. How
do plants receive their DNA from soil?

Your advice about so-called experts is right on.

Old 16-12-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 15, 6:20*pm, dave a wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Good question (your name?)

First allow me to say I do not have that answer. I have wondered what
came first. A nurse log may have be introduced about the same time as
the seed.
What we believed is that if we had a bowl, we are not going to get
into where the bowl came from, and we had a given amount of STEW.
Space Temp Elements Water (STEW) that a system will develop to
optimize the sun’s light energy. A trees vigor or genetic codes were
in place when they were designed, I believe. Kind of a religious
area. We effect the vitality of the trees (not vigor) by our
treatments. When any part of the STEW begins to be lacking then we
move to stress. Stress meaning when a system begins to operate at or
about the level in which it was designed. When it goes beyond the
point that it breaks or is not reversible then we say we have strain.
When the slinky is pulled and when let go it returns to original
position it was stressed. When the spring is pulled so far it no
longer returns it is what we call strain. I believe trees came in
groups. Sorry about the grammer.

John
Old 16-12-2008, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 15, 6:20*pm, dave a wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Sorry

What I meant to say, I will correct it in the article. Thank you for
pointing that out.

How about this

"This mulch would be made up of many ingredients - shed leaves, flower
parts, twigs, branches, trunks as well as shed root hairs, non-woody
roots, mycorrhizae and woody roots. Wood is mostly cellulose. Many
microorganisms in the soil can breakdown cellulose back to glucose as
food. In addition, animal feces and animals that have died also
constitute the mulch in a forest. This amounts to the ingredients
which make up the horizons in the soil and the rainbow funnel, of
humic acids. Trees, I believe, received their genetic codes in
groups. This soil is a component of the group. Trees and woody
shrubs come in groups. The best way to help a tree is by providing as
many of the natural ingredients which they would receive in a forest.
In the urban environment I choose to use composted tree trimmings as
mulch. Not fresh chips and not all bark mulch. The reason is that
fresh chips have protoplasm smeared all over the place which attracts
micros that attack defenseless living tree cells. These micros can
and do, do nasty things to trees above as well as below ground.
Second, outer bark of trees is made up of primarily suberin which is
long chains of fatty acids. While this bark mulch has aesthetic
value, the bark is of little value for providing energy-releasing
compounds to soil microorganisms. We can feed the soil with composted
wood chips and leaves."

Thanks again.
John
Old 16-12-2008, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

humic acids. Trees, I believe, received their genetic codes in
groups. This soil is a component of the group. Trees and woody
shrubs come in groups. The best way to help a tree is by providing as
many of the natural ingredients which they would receive in a forest.

Trees get their genetic material from their parents (I am including asexual
sources such as cuttings, grafts etc as parents) and possibly through
viruses that may pick up DNA elsewhere. Can you provide some evidence for
the existence of these gene sharing groups, how they are defined and how
they transfer genetic material? It looks to me that you don't really
understand much about genetics and would be better off not mentioning your
mystical beliefs.

David

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

Old 16-12-2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

dave a wrote:
wrote:
I am working on writing articles for associations..Please review and
comment.

Mulch, Trees and Woody Shrubs
About Mulch

[section snipped out]

In addition,
animal feces and animals that have died also constitute the mulch in a
forest. This amounts to the ingredients which make up the horizons in
the soil. This is where trees receive their genetic makeup. Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree
biology.

Really? I thought plants received their genetic makeup from seeds. How
do plants receive their DNA from soil?

Your advice about so-called experts is right on.

You will receive no answer to this question, and yes, his advice about
so-called experts is self descriptive.
Old 17-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered User

You may also want to talk about the dangers of toxic mulch. I found a good article on that at http://www.care-gardening.com Good luck.
Old 21-12-2008, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 16, 1:30*pm, Jangchub wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:45:15 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am working on writing articles for associations..Please review and
comment.

Mulch, Trees and Woody Shrubs
About Mulch

Mulch, when the right material is used and applied properly, mulch is
very very very helpful in maintaining and increasing a tree’s
vitality.

Don't start a sentence with a noun, then say it again, then use the
words very very very within the same sentence. *It is inappropriate
use, and even if used, there would be commas after each of the
overused words.

Vtality is the ability to grow under the conditions you
find yourself. *

What? *I think you may want to hire an editor who can use English
properly.

What is the "conditions you find yourself" in reference to? * Trees,
people, what?

I'm done.

[...]

Victoria

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Updated daily when able.- Hide quoted text -

Victoria

Thank you. How about this:

Mulch, when the right material is used and applied properly, it is
very helpful in maintaining and increasing a tree’s vitality.
Vitality is the ability to grow under the conditions, in which, you
find yourself.

John
Old 31-12-2008, 12:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message
lyinc...
dave a wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I wonder where he got his degree in "tree biology."

Old 31-12-2008, 12:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
misstjg

Regarding that site. Let me add that sulfur doesn't keep snakes away from
gardens. The pest control page doesn't even mention the most common garden
insect pests.

[IMG] code is On

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 09:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 09:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 06:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 10:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 01:15 AM