Old 04-01-2009, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moisture Sensor Automatic Watering

Does anyone know of a house-plant watering system that uses a moisture
sensor to water plants via an electronic valve?

None of the "automatic" watering systems out there work. They all seem
to be either passive wick or timer-based systems that keep the soil so
moist that root rot always occurs.

What I'd like to see is a Thirsty Light moisture sensor (http://
www.thirstylight.com/) cobbled together with the Orbit electronic
watering kit (http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Timers/
01/04/01/1195/). The trick will be interfacing the sensor with the
watering kit. The watering kit is actually meant for outdoor use, but
it looks like the cheapest source of electronic water valves.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:29:22 -0800 (PST), Chris
wrote:

Does anyone know of a house-plant watering system that uses a moisture
sensor to water plants via an electronic valve?

None of the "automatic" watering systems out there work. They all seem
to be either passive wick or timer-based systems that keep the soil so
moist that root rot always occurs.

What I'd like to see is a Thirsty Light moisture sensor (http://
www.thirstylight.com/) cobbled together with the Orbit electronic
watering kit (http://www.orbitonline.com/products/Timers/
01/04/01/1195/). The trick will be interfacing the sensor with the
watering kit. The watering kit is actually meant for outdoor use, but
it looks like the cheapest source of electronic water valves.

Never heard of this, but it should work. All you need is soil
moisture senors, some electronics, and some electrical-controlled
valves. Sounds a little expensive, plus nature doesn't work that way.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
Does anyone know of a house-plant watering system that
uses a moisture sensor to water plants via an electronic valve?

Every plant has different moisture needs... to sense moisture I just
poke my finger in, always works for me... and why not a simple
watering can?
Old 17-01-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 4, 10:43 am, Sheldon wrote:
Chris wrote:
Does anyone know of a house-plant watering system that
uses a moisture sensor to water plants via an electronic valve?

Every plant has different moisture needs... to sense moisture I just
poke my finger in, always works for me... and why not a simple
watering can?

The idea is to automate the process to save time. Since apparently no
one's ever thought of doing this, there's also a certain element of
novelty.
Old 17-01-2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
Does anyone know of a house-plant watering system that
uses a moisture sensor to water plants via an electronic valve?

Every plant has different moisture needs... to sense moisture I just
poke my finger in, always works for me... and why not a simple
watering can?

The idea is to automate the process to save time. Since apparently no
one's ever thought of doing this, there's also a certain element of
novelty.

I use a reservoir (water dish below the plant ), the plant supported above
the reservoir and a acrylic yarn wick from the reservoir into the bottom of
the plant to draw the water up into the plant as needed. There are several
sites on the web which discuss this (Google wick watering). Again the key
is acrylic yarn for the wick and soaking the wick before inserting into the
bottom of the plant. I use a reservoir big enough so that is holds several
weeks of water so I can go on vacation with out worrying about the plants.

Dana

Old 17-01-2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Chris wrote:
[...]

All those kind of systems are watering the potting soil, not the
plant... they generally over water and drown the plant by eliminating
air. Most potted plants need far less water than we think, and most
do best with alternating periods of drought. When a house plant is in
a properly sized pot in proper soil for that particular plant then
there is no reason if a plant is watered before departing for vacation
it can't go a month or more. If one is particualrly concerned over
some finicky plants then it's best to have a responsible person check
on your plants like once a week. Watering potted plants is a lot like
feeding aquarium fish, both can go a very long time between. People
who set up those automatic fish feeders typically come home to dead
fish and a stinking mess.