Old 13-01-2009, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hackberry tree help

Call and write mother once in awhile. She never, ever asks for help. Xmas
is typically held at my brother's house. Haven't been at mother's house for
3 years until yesterday. What I found was there were hackberry trees
growing amongst the chain link fence. A few were nearing 3" in diameter at
the trunk. Some interlaced themselves with the chain link fencing in and
out of the fence like sewing. It took me a couple of hours to cut down all
the hackberry trees and small saplings on just one course of the fence.
Some still remain intertwined with the fencing. The chainsaw's chain is
dull as a butter knife now due to briefly hitting the fencing once in
awhile. I still have 3 courses of fence to go.

How do I get rid of the hackberry trees for good?

The municipality only does tree cutting pickup in spring. So, I still have
to cut all to length to fit in garbage bags.
--
Dave

Old 13-01-2009, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 13, 8:08*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
[...]

My husband drills holes in them and fills the holes with kerosene. If
you keep cutting off any sprouts that pop up you will eventually kill
them without the kero.
Old 13-01-2009, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:08:09 -0600, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Call and write mother once in awhile. She never, ever asks for help. Xmas
is typically held at my brother's house. Haven't been at mother's house for
3 years until yesterday. What I found was there were hackberry trees
growing amongst the chain link fence. A few were nearing 3" in diameter at
the trunk. Some interlaced themselves with the chain link fencing in and
out of the fence like sewing. It took me a couple of hours to cut down all
the hackberry trees and small saplings on just one course of the fence.
Some still remain intertwined with the fencing. The chainsaw's chain is
dull as a butter knife now due to briefly hitting the fencing once in
awhile. I still have 3 courses of fence to go.

How do I get rid of the hackberry trees for good?

The municipality only does tree cutting pickup in spring. So, I still have
to cut all to length to fit in garbage bags.

Keep cutting near the ground. You might have to cut 3-4 times. I
have a hackberry tree that has grown very large and produces a lot of
winter berries and summer shade. It is amazing how many different
migrating flocks of birds I see each year to stop and feast on the
berries.
Old 14-01-2009, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

There in is part of the problem, the birds land on the fence, poop the
seeds, and you have a crop of hackberry growing in the fence.
Old 15-01-2009, 09:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Nanzi" wrote in message
[...]

Email from one of my sisters says she used copper nails to address the
larger ones. Takes time shes says, eventually killing the tree.
--
Dave