Old 04-02-2009, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese bettles

Jangchub wrote:
Bill wrote:

�I used milky 20 years ago but you folks got me thinking �perhaps $60
is in order again. �Wish there was similar for moles/voles critters !
�Have not seen any beetles except a stray or few in the last ten
years.. �Can't imagine infestation on the order described. �Sounds
biblical only not locusts. �Our beetles at the height of population
maybe numbered 2000.

I've had success using 30% castor oil to 70% water

You should increase the ratio of caster oil in your cocktail, you're
still full of shit.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese beetles

Sheldon wrote:

Sevin is very effective, just don't be tempted to mix it in stronger
concentrations, if anything lean towards the weak side. The trick is
to spray lightly every day over 5-7 days, even if you see no beetles,
it takes time for Sevin to work. Spray during the warmest part of the
day and if it's raining then there is no point in spraying until it's
dry. And use a quality sprayer that will easily reach to the tops of
your trees without your standing directly underneath. Be mindful of
wind direction, keep all others clear, and you should have no problems
with over spray.

Sevin is effective, but has a long retentive property. It could make
the fruit inedible at the harvest time. A better choice may be
Imidan, which will also kill these critters and it breaks down over a
period of a few weeks, in the sun.

I would add to your spray precautions to wear some kind of breathing
apparatus. I saw a scary program on Parkinson's disease where they
implied it could be kicked off by exposure to pesticides. I continue
to use pesticides, but wear protective gear and breathing devices, and
try to stay upwind of the sprayer.

Sherwin
Old 06-02-2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

A few years back, my area had swarms of the kind you mention. Tops of large
trees were stripped and smaller trees were left entirely leafless. My
neighbor had an apple tree that was stripped bare by the beetles. My roses
were especially affected. After the first blooms came on the roses, there
were no more for weeks after the japanese beetles came. I used the bags,
and in the beginning, a bag would be full and touching the ground in half a
day. I got immense pleasure from seeing thousands of the little buggars die
that were lured into the bags and the bags did help to keep them off the
plants I was protecting....you just have to be very diligent in checking the
bags several times a day, and placement is important too. I handpicked and
sprayed with liquid sevin all that I could that didn't land in the traps.
The bags did make a difference, but not enough. After a couple of years of
battling the little demons, I put out some milky spore and continued using
the bags. I started seeing a huge difference in about 3 years. Now, I
rarely see any japanese beetles at all. I swear by the milky spore. It's
expensive if you have a large area, but worth it.

Gloria in NE Alabama

"Dave" wrote in message
Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of or
controlling these pests? For 2 years in a row now they have infested my
plum, cherry,and apple trees. Also my 3 grape vines. They appear to start
coming around Mothers day. I've tried malathion which temporarily helped,
and a mixture of sevin concentrate mixed with dawn dish soap and water. It
controlled them for a day, but the next day they were at it again. The
ground would be covered with dead ones, but the next day there would be
new ones that arrived. I was so fed up that I was considering cutting the
trees down. I'm afraid to eat any fruit if there is any because of all the
chemicals. I live in Springfield, Illinois. I've never seen any beetles
until 1907. I would appreciate any help or suggestion any of you out there
may have.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gloria wrote:
[...]

One big distinction Gloria. You are not spraying edibles. Sevin is
not a chemical I would use on fruit, etc. It has a long retention
time. Imidan, on the other hand, can do the same job and dissipates
after a few days in the sun. I have heard that milky spore does not
work well in harder soils, like clay. It may work in more loamy or
sandy soil.

Sherwin
Old 08-02-2009, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message
One big distinction Gloria. You are not spraying edibles. Sevin is
not a chemical I would use on fruit, etc. It has a long retention
time. Imidan, on the other hand, can do the same job and dissipates
after a few days in the sun. I have heard that milky spore does not
work well in harder soils, like clay. It may work in more loamy or
sandy soil.

Sherwin

No, I was not spraying edibles, but you could do without the spraying and
just use the traps and especially the milky spore. It will take some time,
but the end result is good. My soil is Alabama clay. hth

Gloria

Old 25-02-2009, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dave wrote:
Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of or
controlling these pests? For 2 years in a row now they have infested my
plum, cherry,and apple trees. Also my 3 grape vines. They appear to
start coming around Mothers day. I've tried malathion which temporarily
helped, and a mixture of sevin concentrate mixed with dawn dish soap and
water. It controlled them for a day, but the next day they were at it
again. The ground would be covered with dead ones, but the next day
there would be new ones that arrived. I was so fed up that I was
considering cutting the trees down. I'm afraid to eat any fruit if there
is any because of all the chemicals. I live in Springfield, Illinois.
I've never seen any beetles until 1907. I would appreciate any help or
suggestion any of you out there may have.
Thanks for your help.

I might be jumping into this a little late, but the best thing you could
do to get rid of them is put in a pool. I'm alway scooping them out of
my pool and dumping them from the strainer. G

--
Patrick

Go Bulls!

[IMG] code is On

Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles Joe[_15_] Gardening 21 27-04-2009 07:07 PM
bettles Tom C Gardening 5 20-05-2003 03:08 PM
japanese oxheart tomato Zphysics1 Edible Gardening 0 29-03-2003 05:08 AM
[IBC] Japanese Maples From Seed (now X-rated!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-02-2003 03:54 PM
[IBC] Japanese Maples From Seed Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 06-02-2003 03:30 PM