Old 03-02-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese bettles

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of or
controlling these pests? For 2 years in a row now they have infested my
plum, cherry,and apple trees. Also my 3 grape vines. They appear to start
coming around Mothers day. I've tried malathion which temporarily helped,
and a mixture of sevin concentrate mixed with dawn dish soap and water. It
controlled them for a day, but the next day they were at it again. The
ground would be covered with dead ones, but the next day there would be new
ones that arrived. I was so fed up that I was considering cutting the trees
down. I'm afraid to eat any fruit if there is any because of all the
chemicals. I live in Springfield, Illinois. I've never seen any beetles
until 1907. I would appreciate any help or suggestion any of you out there
may have.
Thanks for your help.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 09:49:46 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of or
controlling these pests? For 2 years in a row now they have infested my
plum, cherry,and apple trees. Also my 3 grape vines. They appear to start
coming around Mothers day. I've tried malathion which temporarily helped,
and a mixture of sevin concentrate mixed with dawn dish soap and water. It
controlled them for a day, but the next day they were at it again. The
ground would be covered with dead ones, but the next day there would be new
ones that arrived. I was so fed up that I was considering cutting the trees
down. I'm afraid to eat any fruit if there is any because of all the
chemicals. I live in Springfield, Illinois. I've never seen any beetles
until 1907. I would appreciate any help or suggestion any of you out there
may have.
Thanks for your help.

You've a long memory...

There are attractants/lures with bag systems, but they work best
placed at the perimeters of large properties. And your neighbors may
hate you.

Boron
Old 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

Sound advice. Nothing wrong with hand picking.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-02-2009, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in
:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of
or controlling these pests?

milky spore or bT to kill the grubs. it takes a couple years to see
the effects, but it will last for over 10 years.
pheremone lures work, but they need to be really far away from the
trees/vines to be effective. if you can't put them several hundred
feet away, then you'll only end up attracting more beetles *to* your
plants.
hand pick the beetles & drop into a bucket of soapy water. if you
know a kid, this is a great job for them. offer a penny per dead
beetle.
lee
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
[...]

Excuse me that was a stupid mistake on my part. I meant 2007 not 1907. I'm
not quite that old.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Japanese beetles

"enigma" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of
or controlling these pests?

milky spore or bT to kill the grubs. it takes a couple years to see
the effects, but it will last for over 10 years.
pheremone lures work, but they need to be really far away from the
trees/vines to be effective. if you can't put them several hundred
feet away, then you'll only end up attracting more beetles *to* your
plants.
hand pick the beetles & drop into a bucket of soapy water. if you
know a kid, this is a great job for them. offer a penny per dead
beetle.
lee

Lee, that would be an impossible task hand picking those battles. My trees
and everyone else's are just covered with beetles. It would take forever
just to pick one tree. Even if it were possible and I took the time they'd
be back tomorrow and completely covered with them again. You have to see it
to believe it.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:22:08 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Nothing stupid about it and it made for a good smile. Good smiles are
rare. We all need more of them.

Boron
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dave" wrote in
:

Lee, that would be an impossible task hand picking those
battles. My trees and everyone else's are just covered with
beetles. It would take forever just to pick one tree. Even if it
were possible and I took the time they'd be back tomorrow and
completely covered with them again. You have to see it to
believe it.

no, i believe it. they go after my hops like crazy as well.
i know getting all of them is impossible, which is why i gave you
several things you should try, but for every beetle you handpick &
kill, there are hundreds more that won't be hatched.
you already said that poisoning your fruit hasn't helped, so i
gave you organic methods that *will* work, just not immediately.
the first thing is to kill the grubs, which is why you need the
application of milky spore or BT to your yard (& your neighbor's
yards if you can get them to cooperate). if your neighbors aren't
willing to cooperate, put the pheremone trap bags on your
property's perimeter as far from your trees & grapes as possible.
lead the beetles to the neighbors.
and pick & destroy as many adult beetles as you can, to prevent
them from reproducing.
it will take a couple years to see a reduction, but it will
happen.
lee
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 3, 12:30*pm, "Dave" wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in
:

[...]

to believe it.- Hide quoted text -

I agree about the milky spore. The largest problem is your yard/land
has a huge amount of japanese beetle grubs. You need to call your
extension agent and get his/her butt out there to determine what is
drawing them in such hordes. The milky spore is awesome. And as the
grubs ingest and die of it, they break down and it puts more into
their environment. Hand picking isn't an option here when you have
fruiting trees. Easier when things are lower and not such a physical
challange. You COULD use some Japanese beetle bags at the perimeter
coupled with the milky spore to double wham them. I'd see more about
using something less harmful that knocks them on their asses. Anyone
know the effects of spraying them with pyrethrum solution (just the
Japs not anything else as it WILL kill anything else, including
beneficials) maybe you could plant a draw crop for them. I DO know
that if you sow 4 o'clocks underneath or nearby, it draws the Japs,
but as they munch a few leaves, it too, kills them...........seen it
work.....I've also seen a horrific infestation of fruiting trees at a
house I had considered buying years ago that was one of the reasons I
changed my mind about the house at the time. The trees and fruit were
literally swarming with them! Once you use the milky spore, and some
back up, you'll eventually see a decrease in their populations. (you
could also hang the bags to draw them away from your yard and trees,
because it uses a phermone from females to draw them)
hope my agreeances helps. keep us posted.
madgardener (maddie) gardening a bit in the green bowl in upper
northeastern Tennessee, zone 7a feeling like zone 6a at the moment
with these wintery temperatures and snows and ice!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

enigma wrote:
"Dave" wrote in
:

Have any of you out there got a sure fire way of getting rid of
or controlling these pests?

milky spore or bT to kill the grubs. it takes a couple years to see
the effects, but it will last for over 10 years.

lee

Those items work well but they do not prevent the beetles from "flying
in" (from adjacent non-treated areas). I have not found a 100 percent
way of getting rid of all of them but "hand picking" and the recommended
items do help.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Snow storm reading. i/2 inch here if lucky ((

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/housing/japanese-beetle/jbeetle.html

I used milky 20 years ago but you folks got me thinking perhaps $60
is in order again. Wish there was similar for moles/voles critters !
Have not seen any beetles except a stray or few in the last ten
years.. Can't imagine infestation on the order described. Sounds
biblical only not locusts. Our beetles at the height of population
maybe numbered 2000.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub wrote in
:

Bt of any variety will have no effect on beetle grubs, but milky
spore will.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/housing/japanese-
beetle/jbeetle.html

or: http://tinyurl.com/auphq

halfway down the page, under biological controls.

Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt)--Bt is a naturally occurring soil

bacterium typically used as a microbial insecticide. The Bt strain
registered for the Japanese beetle is for use on the grub stage
only. Bt is a stomach poison and must be ingested to be effective.
Apply it to the soil as you would insecticides. Effectiveness is
similar to that of insecticides. Check with your extension agent
regarding the availability of Bt.

it also suggests nematodes & parasites, as well as habitat
manipulation.
HTH
lee

Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

I have used a coffee can, lid, and a little soapy water. With a
little practice, you can tap them and they fall in to the can. That
works well in some situations. They don't have many predators but
certainly don't like a soapy spray! Thankfully, the infestations are
short lived.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 3, 12:30�pm, "Dave" wrote:
"enigma" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in
:

[...]

Sevin is very effective, just don't be tempted to mix it in stronger
concentrations, if anything lean towards the weak side. The trick is
to spray lightly every day over 5-7 days, even if you see no beetles,
it takes time for Sevin to work. Spray during the warmest part of the
day and if it's raining then there is no point in spraying until it's
dry. And use a quality sprayer that will easily reach to the tops of
your trees without your standing directly underneath. Be mindful of
wind direction, keep all others clear, and you should have no problems
with over spray. Hand picking and attractant traps are a waste of
time, effort, and money... mostly you'll be attracting and picking
beetles from your neighbor's property. Anyone who employs a few brain
cells will quickly realize how idiotic it is to do anything that will
attract even more beetles. I bought some of those silly traps, once I
read the instructions and realized that they need to be set on a
perimeter a distance from my trees that I want to protect I burst out
in hillarious laughter for getting sucked in to spend my money to
protect my neighbor's plants... I returned them and got my money back.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 4, 11:14�am, Jangchub wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

[...]

So, what you are saying is that these are ridiculous that sucked so
you returned them because???? �If they protected your neighbors plants
why didn't you simply move them closer to your own? �You make no sense
and sound quite idiotic.

You're obviously incapable of engaging in mature discussion because
you're obviously an infantile pinheaded numbskull who is making
ridiculous assumptions. Maybe in your world everythjing is tiny,
neat, and all tied up in a little package. The trees I am protecting
are strewn out over many acres and my property abuts 17 neighbors all
around its perimeter including those across a road consisting of 1200
feet of frontage. You are something to be avoided, and so be it.

[IMG] code is On

Question aboutmixture for killing japanese bettles Joe[_15_] Gardening 21 27-04-2009 07:07 PM
bettles Tom C Gardening 5 20-05-2003 03:08 PM
japanese oxheart tomato Zphysics1 Edible Gardening 0 29-03-2003 05:08 AM
[IBC] Japanese Maples From Seed (now X-rated!) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 06-02-2003 03:54 PM
[IBC] Japanese Maples From Seed Ben Griffin Bonsai 0 06-02-2003 03:30 PM