Old 19-02-2009, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving rainwater

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
A great topic! I am very dependent on rain water. My well water is
too hard, the soft water still not good for vegi gardens (Ok for
flowers)

Whoopee we are back on topic BTW! Rainwater is as soft as you can
get.

and the R.O. drinking water is way to expensive for a my 70 x 100
ft
vegi garden plus the almost same size area flower garden around
the
house. A 1000 gallon tank would work out great for the August dry
spells. Currently I use 5 - 80 gallon rain barrels, just not
enough
for those temporary days in Michigan.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Do your sums first on collection, storage and distribution. Poly
tanks are more cost effective (gallons per dollar) when larger
(aroung here 23000l to 36000l are popular for house tanks)
especially when you add the capital cost of a small pump (and
polypipe reticulation system if required). You can do the
installation yourself as it is low pressure but remember to protect
polypipe by buying or running on/under fences and to clamp bayonet
joints.

If trying to fill it from existing roof plumbing consider that on a
large roof the gutters don't often flow to a single down pipe, some
may run the wrong way and have to be changed. Too few down pipes
and the gutter will overflow in a heavy shower wasting water and
possibly causing damage. Sheds and other outbuildings can be
profitably employed too depending on location.

David

I will more than likely go the large tank route. About two years ago
saw a Victory Garden show that had several small tanks hooked up
each
gutter and sump pumps that transfered water near the home to larger
tanks near the garden. Sounds expensive at first, but should pay off
in time. The tank at the garden end would need power also?

Easier to put the tank near the power and run delivery pipe instead of
wire.
My header tank and distribution pump are right next to the house, the
poly
lines run out to the gardens and orchards.

Perhaps
solar pumps? Hand pumps? Do I want run power 150 feet out?

Solar won't give much head but might do for drippers unless it is up
hill.

David

I have time to think about, I'm in no rush. Septic tanks on east side
of
home, propane tank west side, well cap and nice lawn on north side, a
deck on the south side .... hmmm, put the tank or tanks under 4ft deck
..., accessibility, will it stink?

I was thinking the over flow from rain barrels would lead to large tank
out by the garden. A large 6" inch flex pipe under ground from
connected
rain barrels. still ... I want to consider esthetics and functionality.

I have lots of time to think.
Doing my taxes today ... so I will be in miserable mood for the day
Always around winter break.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

If you live where there's enough precipitation to fill the volume
facility
you're talking about and keep it filled then you don't need to collect
water. Anyway Michigan is essentially an island surrounded by the Great
Lakes, if anything Michigan gets too much precipitation... aside from
spring
rains in torrents there's enough snow melt to keep your ground too wet
into
mid June. Drought in Michigan is rare, on the few occasions you need to
water, an hour with a garden hose from your well will suffice. And it's
counter productive to over water, with watering plants less is more.
It's
better economics and less laborious to amend your garden soil with
moisture
retaining organic matter and mulch than to invest in vats, piping, and
pumps.... and all your neighbors will be laughing at you hysterically
when
they see you out in your yard doing a rain dance hoping to fill your
tanks.
It will be less expensive to upgrade your well with a more powerful pump
and
larger pressure tank. If you're real serious about mega gardening it's
not
all that costly to have a shallow well installed just for irrigation.
Also
consider an artesian well, they are common in Michigan.

An excellent description of Michigan. I live in the boondocks, my
nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile down the road, the only one I know. My
other neighbor is the Gas Company. They have no gas wells nearby and
they are the largest land owner. So no one will laugh.

Like I said before the wells in my area are very very hard - TDS (Total
Dissolved Solids) is 2500. It is very heavy in salts. So even drilling a
second well would not due. I admit I only need the extra water at most
one or two months every other year. My well water seems to harm the
plants, not help. No way drinkable without the R.O. under sink
purification system. The soft line also goes through sediment filters
which is not as bad. The good part of my well is that it has never gone
dry, provides large volumes and sufficient pressure. The rain here is
very consistent during spring and fall, rain is good for the garden. If
I win the lottery, I will get a house hold R.O. system.

One plus to $400 portable R.O. is that I dream of getting a small 10x12
green house. It would be a nice addition... someday. The tanks are a
little cheaper. The R.O. for outside hard line is small and might be
more practical.

Like many people today am not sure about the economy and feel the need
to save more for the rainy days instead of spending for the not so rainy
days. Taxes are done, I will not receive enough for that nice green
house

Still Dreaming ... Dan

Check out artesian wells, I'm serious, they're gravity pressure wells, free,
pure, clean filtered water with no pump, no fuel.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-artesian-well.htm

Old 20-02-2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dan L. wrote:
[...]

Hmmm ... Lots of questions on the site no answers? Sounds expensive.

Lots of reading and thinking.

Thanks Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 20-02-2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote
"brooklyn1" wrote:

Check out artesian wells, I'm serious, they're gravity pressure wells,
free,
pure, clean filtered water with no pump, no fuel.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-artesian-well.htm

Hmmm ... Lots of questions on the site no answers? Sounds expensive.

Lots of reading and thinking.

Artesian wells are actually the least expensive type of well to construct.
There are a few cities in Michigan that are famous for their artesian
wells... check your Yellow Pages and get estimates, you may be pleasantly
surprised. It could solve all your poor water problems.

Old 24-02-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:10:16 -0500, "Dan L."
wrote:

A great topic! I am very dependent on rain water. My well water is too
hard, the soft water still not good for vegi gardens (Ok for flowers)
and the R.O. drinking water is way to expensive for a my 70 x 100 ft
vegi garden plus the almost same size area flower garden around the
house. A 1000 gallon tank would work out great for the August dry
spells. Currently I use 5 - 80 gallon rain barrels, just not enough for
those temporary days in Michigan.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

I'm late on this Dan, but I have had this idea in my head for several
years, after using this product for it's intended use for five years

Put yer thinking cap on here and do some calculations, etc. Cheap,
tough and holds lots and lots of water in the larger sizes. Comes
complete with low pressure, high volume pump and cover.

Spinoff of military waterbag technology.

http://www.intexcorp.com/easyset.htm

Charlie

Hmmm ... I ... I just do not know what to say Charley

My thinking cap is on ... I could for a month or two park my old pickup
truck back by the garden. Put a water proof liner in the bed.
How does the saying go a "Red Neck's Swimming Pool" or "Hot Tub". It
might work.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.