Old 11-02-2003, 09:55 PM
JimS.

Default Iceberg vs. Fabulous- comments please?

I want to add one white rose to replace my John F. Kennedy which was a
disappointment. (I just discretely transplanted JFK to a parking strip next
to a telephone pole up the street, thereby not feeling guilty that I killed
it...)

ANYWAY- I see Iceberg makes lots of people's "Top 30" lists, and I've also
seen easy local availability of Fabulous! On www.helpmefind.com I noticed
that Fabulous! is descended from Iceberg. Any comments on one vs. the
other? (and not, "hey, just get both..."...can't do it!)

Thanks

JimS.
Seattle

Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Theo Asir

Jim last year I planted fabulous next to iceberg.

It was such an embarassing performer next
to iceberg that I had to shovel prune it.

my experience, very disease prone, limited
bloom production and slow growth.

Others have had a better experience.

If you had to get another great white rose
get Guinevere. Also from JP. Only rose that keeps
up with iceberg. Is fully double and has a nice scent too.
bullet proof foliage.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 12-02-2003, 05:25 AM
Allegra

"JimS." wrote in message

ANYWAY- I see Iceberg makes lots of people's "Top 30" lists, and I've

also
seen easy local availability of Fabulous! On www.helpmefind.com I noticed
that Fabulous! is descended from Iceberg. Any comments on one vs. the
other? (and not, "hey, just get both..."...can't do it!)

Hello Jim,

"I don't know nothing about Fabulous, Mizz Scarlet",
but I can give you an earful about Iceberg. Climbing
Iceberg that is. Gorgeous, fragrant, hates to be pruned,
it punishes you by holding on to her blooms for dear life
if you cut a single inch of her day-old wood. Bees love it
so don't plant her near any walk that you may not want
to find filled with workers.

It is a beautiful rose. I never grew the others because
having that one was enough. It was heavy with canes and
heavy with blooms, and at least here in Portland bloomed
early in June and then again I think it was either September
or October in the years we had Indian Summer. Then she
went clear until Thanksgiving. I imagine that the others have
to be as good or better as the climber, and for the fragrance
alone Iceberg is worth the trouble in my book. She can get
really big, tho. But I imagine you are going for anything
but the climber? If I remember correctly I got it at Edmunds
when they still had the greenhouses in Oregon.

Can I enable you into an ogr instead? I have seen some
gorgeous ones and my favorite still is Kaiserina Augusta
Viktoria. That is one babe to die for! We went to Washington
last Sunday, all because of JD who show me the way to Bird's
and got both Rouge Royale and Taboo, the latter because BH
fell in love with it when we moved into this house and while
cleaning the back I found cane borers going in and out of it
like through a tunnel. A hole as big as a fifty cents piece! So
since he loves the color, I am putting it among the old girls
and see how it holds its own. What else are you replacing,
moving, shovel pruning?

Allegra

Old 12-02-2003, 06:25 AM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message

"JimS." wrote in message
> [...]

Hi, Allegra dear,

How's everything in the Rose City?
What am I replacing this year? Hmm, well, it's like this....
I had enough of my John F. Kennedy, but have no other white roses. That's
why I'm thinking about Iceberg. I dug up JFK, but transplanted him to a
piece of city-owned parking strip at the corner--- same place last fall I
resettled a miniature yellow rose. The yellow one made it through the
winter great, it's doing fine . I never did like the thing, but it did
grow-- so I didn't have the heart to kill it. So now, I've decided that ALL
the roses I get sick of will end up next to that telephone pole- their last
chance at life. I have no blood on my hands, and I beautify the
neighborhood a little. Well, that's the excuse, anyway, works for me.....

Next on my hit list, I think, is my ILPPoS, which you may recall from last
year was my Insignificant-Little-Pink-PoS. I truly hate her. Actually, I
hate all pink roses, but that's another story. Anyway, I've finally caught
on to her scheme. Every time I'm about to shovel her, she does something
sinister like she's doing now-- she's sprouted just the tiniest little basal
break, just to spare her from the shovel. But she refuses to thrive. Too
little, too late, she's outta here-- off to the parking strip with her. I
think, in fact, that Climbing Iceberg would be a perfect replacement, since
the spot is right next to my arbor leading to my front door. That would be
perfect.

Blue Girl got dug up and moved to a big pot by herself, away from the bed.
Maybe the little Typhoid Mary can keep herself more free of blackspot now.
I also dug up "Today" and put it in a mini-pot. It was tiny, barely hanging
on. Replaced it with New Year. I'd really like to find another Today, but
it's nowhere to be found. So, just as a challenge, I want to see if I can
get this one going. It's going to be tough.

BTW, I have Taboo too. It's a beauty. Didn't even drop leaves all winter,
can you imagine? It's screaming along too. It's going to blast off this
year, I think.

I planted another Climbing Don Juan (...cue Shiva!) next to the one I
planted last year. Next to that a Mister Lincoln (everybody has to have
one, right?). In the spot where Blue Girl came out, I put Crimson Bouquet.
I'm saving one more big pot for some player-to-be-announced later. Don't
know what, but I'll know it when I see it. Only got room for one that more,
so I've got to save a spot. Otherwise, I'm maxed! Tiny yard..... (and I do
still have grass-- for now...)

JimS.
Seattle

Old 12-02-2003, 06:25 AM
JimS.

"Theo Asir" wrote in message

Jim last year I planted fabulous next to iceberg.

It was such an embarassing performer next
to iceberg that I had to shovel prune it.

my experience, very disease prone, limited
bloom production and slow growth.

Others have had a better experience.

Thanks for the testimonial, Theo. I think Iceberg it is...in face, I think
Climbing Iceberg.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 13-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Theo Asir wrote:
Jim last year I planted fabulous next to iceberg.

It was such an embarassing performer next
to iceberg that I had to shovel prune it.

my experience, very disease prone, limited
bloom production and slow growth.

Others have had a better experience.

Wow. I have Fabulous and it does pretty well. If Iceberg is much
better, it would be perfect. I guess I should just buy one and try it.

J.

Old 13-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Julia

JimS. wrote:
ANYWAY- I see Iceberg makes lots of people's "Top 30" lists, and I've also
seen easy local availability of Fabulous! On www.helpmefind.com I noticed
that Fabulous! is descended from Iceberg. Any comments on one vs. the
other? (and not, "hey, just get both..."...can't do it!)

Iceberg is a bloom factory, pure and simple. But it does have some
drawbacks in my book. The foliage is a lighter green than I like. The
spent blooms tend to hang on the bush and turn a disgusting brown. Not
always but often enough to be unsightly. OTOH, the bush doesn't seem to
care and continues blooming, even in the presence of dozens of hips.
Fabulous! is a great rose, the petals have a lot more substance than
Iceberg, they come singly and in clusters, and the foliage is darker.
Plus, it's self-cleaning. I'm taking out an Iceberg this weekend to
plant a third Fabulous! in between the other 2.

Old 13-02-2003, 04:55 PM
JimS.

"Julia" wrote in message
JimS. wrote:
Next on my hit list, I think, is my ILPPoS, which you may recall from

last
year was my Insignificant-Little-Pink-PoS. I truly hate her. Actually,

Hahaha, I forgot that ILPPoS's real name.

Plus, don't forget, this name works for any rose of (*) color you hate,
whose name would then become IL(*)PoS, for example...

little, too late, she's outta here-- off to the parking strip with her.

Ok, she's ****ed you off enough. Why not exact your revenge? Chop her
into tiny pieces and toss her in the trash or green recycling?

Nah, can't do that. I always think it's my fault, and that if I had been a
better mother it wouldn't have died, so it's not fair for me to take it out
on the rose. (yes, it's sick)

Don't tell me you're one of those who won't throw anything away!

Guilty-- well, until it's totally dead, anyway. That's why I came up with
this scheme to orphan the rose on the nearby parking strip! Hey, the
rationalization works for me......

JimS.
Seattle

Old 13-02-2003, 06:25 PM
Allegra

How's everything in the Rose City?

Wet and more wet and then some more. We got a couple of
days with some sunshine, and upon a recognizance mission
around the great rose conspiracy discovered, of course, that
the ones leafing are white with powdery mildew, so here is
a lesson for me: spray the ones that never went to sleep with
about 1/2, maybe 1/3 the recommended amount of dormant
spray dilution, and do it diligently. You will think that after
all the time I have been held prisoner by these plants I would
have figured how to escape, but not. So tomorrow BH will
suit and hopefully it will stay dry enough to give them a bath
with Polysul and hope for the best.

What is this about you hating pink roses? Compassion is one
of my favorite roses of all times and boy is she pink! Same
goes for Evelyn, at least here and for Belle Story, and don't
give me anything even related to "you are a woman" because
the "macho" types that come to our garden look at Celestial
and get weak knees, and always ask her name. Spill boy,
what is the scoop with this story? you got me intrigued here.

Back to work. Today we got one of the banes of my existence
out of it. A good arborist came with his crew -he had been
here before to do some much needed surgery - and removed
the top of a very sick, with anthracnose and cercospora both,
alder in the back. That tree shed leaves year around and with
it brought the pestilence everywhere. We sprayed, we tried to
use systemic help for it, we have this same fellow come two
years ago and prune the dickens out of it, zilch, niente, nada.
Sick, sick, sick and with no hope, I should have listened to the
inner wise one that said then, get rid of it, this thing is not
going to overcome what is killing it, and sure enough, one
bad wind storm and the east side of our home would have
had serious damage done to it as proven this morning
after they cut it. We wanted the main trunk left there, it
will be easier to drill holes and treat it that way and let
Mme. Cecile Brunner make a fool of herself and wrap her
ever growing arms around what is left there, which of
course was left there for that sole purpose.

This is one time I don't want their chipper's fruits anywhere
near the garden, so they are hauling away the mess.

I planted another Climbing Don Juan...

I had it once, it grew so thick and it was over an arch we
had to use every day and I got pinched too many times
so I guess it wouldn't make it in this garden. Altissimo has
the place under one of the kitchen windows and the most
gorgeous white clematis flirts with him so our red and
white classic scheme is already taken. I have Italian blood
in me, but I don't like to be pinched by any Don Juan...

You are going to love Iceberg, the fragrance is a killer and
it is fast to climb, at least it was here. After a couple of years
make sure to trim the canes to six or seven or it is going to
overwhelm your arch. It gets heavy, and it can really shade
the area underneath pretty fast otherwise and then you will
have fewer blooms towards the inside. I trained ours with two
nice canes on each side of the arch, and then ran the others
horizontally in a zig-zag pattern. The laterals were easy to
control that way, and it made a nice little white blanket on
top, while the ones on the outside sides of the arch were
literally a white line of roses falling over themselves. It
was a pretty sight.

I am out of here, but still want to know about the pink roses...

Allegra

Old 13-02-2003, 06:55 PM
JimS.

"Allegra" wrote in message
How's everything in the Rose City?

What is this about you hating pink roses? .... Spill boy,
what is the scoop with this story? you got me intrigued here.

snip

Allegra

It's nothing really complicated. I just don't like pink. And there are a
lot of other colors I like better. So with as little space as I have in my
garden, pink just don't make the cut.

JimS.

Old 14-02-2003, 03:39 AM
Julia

JimS. wrote:
Hahaha, I forgot that ILPPoS's real name.

Plus, don't forget, this name works for any rose of (*) color you hate,
whose name would then become IL(*)PoS, for example...

But, of course. You still didn't tell me what it was. My latest
IL(*)PoS was Malton, a China that bloomed once over a year ago and never
again. It was a 5-gallon specimen when I got it so it didn't have the
excuse that it needed some size on it before blooming. It's actually
quite cathartic to take out one's frustrations on a non-performing rose.
heheh.

Nah, can't do that. I always think it's my fault, and that if I had been a
better mother it wouldn't have died, so it's not fair for me to take it out
on the rose. (yes, it's sick)

Sure is sick. And I can diagnose your problem. You think you're its
mother. Crikey. You would be its father. I think you might need
professional help. You can find that here.

Don't tell me you're one of those who won't throw anything away!

Guilty-- well, until it's totally dead, anyway. That's why I came up with
this scheme to orphan the rose on the nearby parking strip! Hey, the
rationalization works for me......

Get over it. You will revel in the freedom. That parking strip will
soon look pretty attractive once you're fully planted in other areas and
there are roses you WANT to grow with nowhere else to grow them.

I've been where you are. When I first heard the expression 'shovel
prune,' I was appalled. But there are just so many great roses, it's
not worth the aggravation, or your TIME, keeping a crappy one. If you
can't bear to toss it, give it away.

There are 15,000+ roses in the Naked City. No reason to keep the dogs.

Old 14-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Cass

Julia wrote:

JimS. wrote:
ANYWAY- I see Iceberg makes lots of people's "Top 30" lists, and I've also
seen easy local availability of Fabulous! On www.helpmefind.com I noticed
that Fabulous! is descended from Iceberg. Any comments on one vs. the
other? (and not, "hey, just get both..."...can't do it!)

Iceberg is a bloom factory, pure and simple. But it does have some
drawbacks in my book. The foliage is a lighter green than I like.

Ironite helps temporarily, but yeah, it is a bit apple green.

The
spent blooms tend to hang on the bush and turn a disgusting brown. Not
always but often enough to be unsightly. OTOH, the bush doesn't seem to
care and continues blooming, even in the presence of dozens of hips.
Fabulous! is a great rose, the petals have a lot more substance than
Iceberg, they come singly and in clusters, and the foliage is darker.
Plus, it's self-cleaning. I'm taking out an Iceberg this weekend to
plant a third Fabulous! in between the other 2.

And Fabulous! grows 7 feet tall?
Old 14-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Unique Too

"JimS." writes:

Guilty-- well, until it's totally dead, anyway. That's why I came up with
this scheme to orphan the rose on the nearby parking strip! Hey, the
rationalization works for me......

Have the roses planted in the parking strip survived? Or is it too soon to
tell?
Just curious.
(Actually I like the idea, I really hate to shovel prune them my self.)
Old 15-02-2003, 08:15 AM
Julia

Cass wrote:
And Fabulous! grows 7 feet tall?

Not yet. Don't know if it will. I suppose, given its parents, that
it's capable of that or close enough. Sexy Rexy is the other parent and
I can never remember which, seed or pollen.

Old 16-02-2003, 11:51 PM
JimS.

"Julia" wrote in message
. ..
JimS. wrote:
Hahaha, I forgot that ILPPoS's real name.

Plus, don't forget, this name works for any rose of (*) color you hate,
whose name would then become IL(*)PoS, for example...

But, of course. You still didn't tell me what it was.

I have no idea what it is(was). That's why I named it ILPPoS. All I know
about it is that it's pink. If I knew the name, and it was named X, for
example, I would have referred to it as PoSX. Notice how whatever it is,
it's still a PoS.

JimS.

Iceberg and Fabulous are floppy JimS. Roses 5 23-06-2003 10:20 PM
wish list was Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 3 09-04-2003 01:56 PM
Burgundy Iceberg Kirra Roses 17 25-03-2003 10:32 PM
climbing iceberg dave weil Roses 3 28-01-2003 01:06 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM