Old 08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Registered User

Default Plant Identification

Please can you help me?

I have recently moved into a new house and there is a large bush / tree in the corner but I do not know what it is.

This is the link to the flower on the plant (which is in bloom at present)

http://i40.tinypic.com/24g4sc7.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone can help me I would be most greatful?

Yours,

Daniel
Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
southpark

Where are you located? And can you possibly post a photo of the entire
plant? The leaves look quite a bit like Ribes but the flowers are not
quite right :-) At least, not from that angle and in that context.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Please can you help me?

I have recently moved into a new house and there is a large bush / tree
in the corner but I do not know what it is.

This is the link to the flower on the plant (which is in bloom at
present)

http://i40.tinypic.com/24g4sc7.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone can help me I would be most greatful?

Are you on the west coast? Then probably Ribes speciosum
--

09=ix
Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 12:28:34 +0100, southpark
wrote:

Please can you help me?

I have recently moved into a new house and there is a large bush / tree
in the corner but I do not know what it is.

This is the link to the flower on the plant (which is in bloom at
present)

http://i40.tinypic.com/24g4sc7.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone can help me I would be most greatful?

Yours,

Daniel

Sorry I can not. Interesting flowers along the nodes with a cluster
of flowers on top of the stem with strawberry-like leaves. The five
pedal deep rose-colored flowers have a nice contrast with cream color
centers. The flowers should be your key to ID, but I'd like to see
the entire plant.

When I moved in it was new construction and the builder decided to
keep the 200 native trees on the lot. To this day, I'm not sure if I
have a "hackberry tree" or not. It has grown and produces a feast for
migrating birds with loads of dark berries. I think it is a bush but
I've trimmed it to a tree.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 8, 4:28 am, southpark
wrote:
Please can you help me?

I have recently moved into a new house and there is a large bush / tree
in the corner but I do not know what it is.

This is the link to the flower on the plant (which is in bloom at
present)

http://i40.tinypic.com/24g4sc7.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone can help me I would be most greatful?

Yours,

Daniel

--
southpark

It looks much like the pink flowering currant, a variety of red
flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum.
It is not Ribes speciosusm, fuchsia flowered currant, which has tiny
red "bells" that hang down
like tiny fuchsias. Which also has numerous, very viciious thorns/
prickles.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

It looks much like the pink flowering currant, a variety of red
flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum.
It is not Ribes speciosusm, fuchsia flowered currant, which has tiny
red "bells" that hang down
like tiny fuchsias. Which also has numerous, very viciious thorns/
prickles.
Emilie
NorCal

You're right, it is sanguineum not speciosum, I always get them mixed
up. (grumble)
I even have one blooming in my yard
--

09=ix
Old 09-04-2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 8, 9:43 pm, Garrapata wrote:
It looks much like the pink flowering currant, a variety of red
flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum.
It is not Ribes speciosusm, fuchsia flowered currant, which has tiny
red "bells" that hang down
like tiny fuchsias. Which also has numerous, very viciious thorns/
prickles.
Emilie
NorCal

You're right, it is sanguineum not speciosum, I always get them mixed
up. (grumble)
I even have one blooming in my yard
--

09=ix

Well, actually I'm sorta/kinda half right!
Ribes speciosum is Fuchsia-flowered _gooseberry_- with all those
prickles it's not a currant.
So you needn't feel grumbly about getting things mixed up....Ha
I have one in my front dry yard and it's really blooming great this
year.

BTW Garrapata State Beach is one of the most beautiful places on the
West Coast!

Emilie
the GOOSEBERRY in Nor Cal
Old 10-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Registered User

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies I will take a photo of the whole bush / tree as it stands about 10 feet tall and put it on asap.

Thanks again.

Daniel.