Old 18-04-2009, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is Organic Topsoil Worth It??

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 20:47:29 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:33:13 GMT, "brooklyn1"
wrote:

I have sixteen acres here, about eight acres parked out... another three
acres if I count my pond area and wildflower meadow, the rest is pretty
much
wooded although I do tend to a lot of those areas too, especially
keeping
wild grape and other vines from smothering small trees/shrubs. I had a
half
acre on Long Island, I never liked my plants all right near to and up
against each other, and having to limit what I could grow due to lack of
space... here instead I'm limited by what critters eat, but I like the
wildlife too and there is always fencing. Down the road I have another
property of 91 acres, about ten acres wooded, the rest is in hay... the
haying pays all my taxes plus a small profit. Were I younger I might've
considered building a house and living on that property, but I'm happy
here
and have no plans to more.

I pulled out our survey to make sure I was giving the right amount of
space and it's a bit over 1/3 acre, not 1/4. It's just big enough to
be a lot of work for me to do. It is a very quiet area and there are
many species of birds to admire. The Indigo bunting was such a charge
to see. When I get finished planting and transplanting this years
stuff I will take a bunch of photos and put them on the blog. Our
garden was on the PBS show called Central Texas Gardener in 2005. It's
also been in magazines locally.

I am not that abled so this is huge for me to manage. Would I love a
hundred acres? Yes. Can I afford it? Certainly. What I can't do is
the work. I am not well.

Whose abled, I'm probably less abled... but I've discovered that larger
tracts of land are easier to tend than smaller properties, as the property
surpasses like five acres it begins to become easier to tend, I'd say at
the
ten acre mark is where one surpasses the point of diminishing returns...
tractors remove decades from one's age... I often ride my small tractor
from
my vegetable gardening shed the 800 feet to my barn where I house my large
tractor, saves my legs, especially when I may have to make those treks
several times a day. I also like the seasons, aside from all the sensory
stimulus they cut my physically demanding gardening chores fully by half,
get to hibernate. The first thing my friends who still live on small
surburban lots ask is how do I keep all my miles of borders so neatly
edged,
I laugh, I don't, they are as the giant mower leaves them, quite messy in
spots actually... but when viewed from many hundreds of feet away they
look
perfectly manicured. I've learned not to bother with precision anymore...
it's the overall appearance that counts... I've come to like macro
landscaping much better than micro. You see, in a development of small
properties everyone is looking at each others property up close and
personal... my nearest neighbor is a thousand feet away... I can garden
with
my peepee hanging out and no one can see, and I do, do you think I'm gonna
hike a thousand feet to the terlit, let alone traipse through the house
with
muddy boots, when a few feet over is the pond... just gotta be careful Mr
Bullfrog doesn't mistake it for a gnat! LOL

Interesting, I don't see where you are a gardener. You mow with
tractors and what else? What parts do you dig your hands in?

I have a 2500 sq ft vegetable garden, I have many fruit trees that need
tending and many more trees that need constant pruning, I have over 2000 sq
feet of flower/perennial beds, hundreds of shrubs, my pond to tend, some
three miles of forest paths to tend, 800 feet of stream landscaping needs
constant attention, even my wildflower meadow gets plenty of hand work, and
I have a huge front yard that I keep very neat and well planted, and I'm
constantly planting new things.

You are
a mess. I think you are going into the filter. You're such an ass.

Go ahead, see if I care that you remain uneducated... you're not the only
poster here you know, but to see you boast and pretend to know you must
think so. I've seen nothing you've done in the dirt, a tiny fake cement
pond that obviously someone else built and a hodgepodge of things growing
every which way most of which don't naturally grow together (looks like
crap) and maybe you poke a few seeds into widdle pots, big whoop... that's
not gardening, no way, no how... you even have to buy your own friggin'
dirt, crap from a phoney baloney joint down the road, just like thousands of
others, they are the ones who are filling the plastic bags that are sold in
the big box stores, otherwise they'd starve waiting for a few like you to
happen along who buy a half yard here and a quarter yard there... I read
that entire web site, they have nothing special, at their prices they're
raping people... and wtf is composted granite, granite can't be composted...
that's just stone chips and dust they sweep up for free from some local
gravestone/countertop maker (probably have an in with the highway
department, that's what's used for road bedding) and push to the imbeciles
like so much snake oil. I don't need to buy top soil, the upper Hudson
valley has some of the best topsoil on thd planet, I can dig down three feet
and I'm still into black gold.

You think this ain't gardening, this is different from the piddly stuff you
do, something you know nothing about, something you're incablable of,
something you don't comprehend, but it's definitely getting hands into the
dirt, and hard work, and I tend to every tree and bush along the perimeter
too... the mowing is the easiest part - a machine does that, a meadow does
not get like that all by itself, only the unknowing look and think oh,
nothing to it... and it's an ever changing collage, even in winter it's
gorgeous:
http://i44.tinypic.com/330sdvs.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/dd25gw.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/280i3qu.jpg