Old 26-04-2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about starting garden

On Apr 26, 12:28*am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Apr 25, 12:21*am, Billy wrote:

You are getting started a little late. Cover your garden area
immediately with newsprint (no color) or cardboard, after spreading
around some manure, bone meal, and maybe some wood stove ashes. Cover
the paper with alfalfa (2" to 4"). Afterward, mulch with any kind of
compost but try to fish emulsion with "organic" fish emulsion at least
once amonth. Then water and wait ten days before you plant by poking
holes through the paper/cardboard.

So the bed would be ready for perennials in 2 weeks?

I'm starting to move in a couple of weeks and hoping to take some of
my garden with me. The new place has a small yard all grassed over. *I
have to move everything over within the next month and a half and will
have a good supply of cardboard once I unpack the boxes.

A friend has suggested I try the lasagna method, but I was under the
impression you shouldn't really break through the cardboard for the
first season. So do you think I could do it within the next month or
should I start my back exercises now? (For the spading up of the
yard.)
Dora

You don't have a month, Dora, but lasagna gardening is the best chance
that you have. Even if you just slap down the paper or cardboard, and
plant straight away through it, it is the best chance you have.
--

We're a bit behind you seasonally here - the ground has thawed but a
lot of plants haven't broken out yet - so I might have more time than