Old 27-04-2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Easter lily

I was given a beautiful huge, white lily, 11 blossoms, for Easter. It's now
done blooming and I'm going to plant it outside. The question is.....I'll
need to plant it deeper than the depth of the pot it's in. Do I just lift it
out of the pot and plunk it in the hole or do I remove the leaves that would
be buried at that depth or just leave it in the pot until it completely dies
back, trim the stalks and plant it then.

I used to plant these things out in the garden all the time with great
success many years ago but I can't remember how I did it.

Val

Old 27-04-2009, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 27, 1:55*pm, "Val" wrote:
I was given a beautiful huge, white lily, 11 blossoms, for Easter. It's now
done blooming and I'm going to plant it outside. The question is.....I'll
need to plant it deeper than the depth of the pot it's in. Do I just lift it
out of the pot and plunk it in the hole or do I remove the leaves that would
be buried at that depth or just leave it in the pot until it completely dies
back, trim the stalks and plant it then.

I used to plant these things out in the garden all the time with great
success many years ago but I can't remember how I did it.

Val

plant it two inches deeper than the pot. feet in the shade and head
in the sun, don't cut the bulk of the stems off, just where the
blossoms have dropped their petals. the leaves are feeding the bulb.
Come fall, a little time release bulb food will be fine, come next
year it WON'T bloom on Easter, it will come up and bloom around the
mid part of June. They only bloom on Easter because they're forced in
greenhouses. But they are perennial for most of us in zone 5 and up.
I've grown them successfully for years now outside.

madgardener, zone 7a, Sunset zone 36
Old 27-04-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

wrote in message

I used to plant these things out in the garden all the time with great
success many years ago but I can't remember how I did it.

Val

plant it two inches deeper than the pot. feet in the shade and head
in the sun, don't cut the bulk of the stems off, just where the
blossoms have dropped their petals. the leaves are feeding the bulb.
Come fall, a little time release bulb food will be fine, come next
year it WON'T bloom on Easter, it will come up and bloom around the
mid part of June. They only bloom on Easter because they're forced in
greenhouses. But they are perennial for most of us in zone 5 and up.
I've grown them successfully for years now outside.

madgardener, zone 7a, Sunset zone 36

Thanks Maddie, you've refreshed my memory. I won't be planting it in the
ground, as in terra firma, it will be in one of the large planters on my
balcony. I've got quite a few Star Gazers that have thrived for the past
five years and in February I planted 3 Miss Lucys. They've all got their
little heads poking up and looking good. I actually foliar feed all leaves
on my bulbs from the time they start to appear until they begin to turn
yellow with liquid kelp and compost tea. In the spring I top dress all my
containers with a mix of worm castings and alfalfa meal. It seems to work
well since my tulips, daffs and other bulbs continue to bloom profusely and
even multiply year after year.

I saw a few sad looking pots of what were Easter Lilies sitting down by the
dumpster yesterday. I might just go on back down there and see about
adopting them.

Val

Old 27-04-2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Val" wrote:

I saw a few sad looking pots of what were Easter Lilies sitting down by the
dumpster yesterday. I might just go on back down there and see about
adopting them.

Val

Shew Shew

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

[IMG] code is On

Post Easter Markdown - Hyacinths and Easter Lillies [email protected] Gardening 2 19-04-2009 04:34 PM
Easter Greeting - Easter 09.jpg [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 12-04-2009 12:27 AM
Easter Greeting - Easter 7.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 3 09-04-2007 01:30 AM
Easter Lily question Jimbo Gardening 8 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Easter Lily Rusty Mase Texas 3 19-04-2003 04:08 PM