Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Onion Set Question

I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and plant little onions in the spring. I was
wondering if you could plant them in late summer (August), and at
least get the small green onion tops until probably December. The
problem is that onion sets are sold only until about the end of May,
and I have tried to keep them in the basement until August,but with no
luck. Could I freeze them or is there something I could put them in so
they do not sprout?

Thanks

Tom
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Plant onion seeds in late summer. If the winters are not too cold, you will
be picking green onions all winter and into the following spring. I did this
last year, and I still have a few onions left that survived the winter. If
your winters are not too cold, you can harvest green onions year round. Just
plant seeds if you can't get sets.

OTOH, if your winters are too cold, you might be able to pull up the entire
plant, put in a bag, and stick in fridge. Not sure how long it will last -
if too moist, it rots, if not moist enough it dries out, if just right it
will last a long time. I've stored green onions, roots and all, in my fridge
for well over a month and they were as crisp and tasty when they came out as
when I put them in.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, and plant little onions in the spring. I was
wondering if you could plant them in late summer (August), and at
least get the small green onion tops until probably December. The
problem is that onion sets are sold only until about the end of May,
and I have tried to keep them in the basement until August,but with no
luck. Could I freeze them or is there something I could put them in so
they do not sprout?

You can't freeze plants you plan to grow as you destroy the cells.