Old 25-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Registered User

Default House plants

Please help! I have recently bought a number of plants and small bushes for inside the house. The tips of the leaves have started to go brown on the ends. Is this because I am over watering them or under watering them? Thanks for your help. Karen1967
Old 25-05-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Karen1967" wrote in message

Please help! I have recently bought a number of plants and small bushes
for inside the house. The tips of the leaves have started to go brown
on the ends. Is this because I am over watering them or under watering
them? Thanks for your help. Karen1967

More information needed. Can you provide the names of the plants?

Old 25-05-2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/25/2009 3:10 AM, Karen1967 wrote:
Please help! I have recently bought a number of plants and small bushes
for inside the house. The tips of the leaves have started to go brown
on the ends. Is this because I am over watering them or under watering
them? Thanks for your help. Karen1967

Brown tips can indicate low humidity. This often happens on plants
grown indoors when they really belong outdoors.

Over-watering and under-watering will both cause the plant to wilt.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 25-05-2009, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Certain chemicals in your tap water can also cause the tips to go brown on
some house plants. I either send my gallon jugs for refills with friends
when they go to the mountains or pay .30 a gallon to refill with 'spring
water' at the store. This cured the 'brown tipped leaves' for me. I only use
untreated water for watering my houseplants and also in the mister bottle.

Val

Old 26-05-2009, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 25 May 2009 11:10:20 +0100, Karen1967
wrote:

Please help! I have recently bought a number of plants and small bushes
for inside the house. The tips of the leaves have started to go brown
on the ends. Is this because I am over watering them or under watering
them? Thanks for your help. Karen1967

Be careful about the amount/frequency of water. Some plants resent
being moved into a new environment, so there may be an adjustment
period until you see new growth. Find the proper amount of light,
water/humidity, temperature, soil for each plant. Check for
insects/mites. I'm just wondering Karen, why you have not posted the
names of the plants in question so we can help you better? Posting a
picture link may help too.

Old 26-05-2009, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Karen1967" wrote in message

Please help! I have recently bought a number of plants and small bushes
for inside the house. The tips of the leaves have started to go brown
on the ends. Is this because I am over watering them or under watering
them? Thanks for your help. Karen1967

--
Karen1967

Currently I use tap water to water my indoor plants. I used to
maintain 3 freshwater aquariums (each tank drained 50% each week) and
that water was ideal for plants. City water has chlorine in it, not
good for bacteria nor plants, but the chlorine leaves water that has
been boiled or aged.

[IMG] code is On

Frugal silk plants? Or real house plants? [email protected] Gardening 26 11-03-2011 09:03 PM
Dendrobium bigibbum house in Full Flower - bigibbum house.JPG [1/1] Graham Corbin Orchid Photos 12 23-04-2007 10:02 AM
Oversized house plants, why?? Graslokar Gardening 6 30-03-2003 05:20 PM
House Plants James Dower Gardening 11 09-02-2003 03:36 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM