Old 31-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Registered User

Post Brambles and Poison Ivy

Hi

I've recently started clearing up my garden.

The garden is decent size around 16 meters in length. I've noticed that around 6-7 fences are pretty much completed by Poison Ivy (climbing) and its growing fast. I also noticed that there are small similar plants growing in some other parts of the garden as well, they are pretty small though.

The other problem is the brambles, garden was pretty much cover with brambles but I've cut it down with hedge trimmers to the soil level and cover it up with cardboard. I haven't yet put any mulch down as I wan't to grow proper hedge so waiting for it to completely die.

Can some advices what is the best method to get rid of both of these weeds. and if the cardboard will work then how much time should i leave it before planting any hedge.

Thanks in advance.
Old 31-05-2009, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brambles and Poison Ivy

On Sun, 31 May 2009 00:33:16 +0100, RK77
wrote:

[...]

Cut the vines near the soil. When new growth appears, apply Roundup.
You can apply Roundup with a soft brush if plants you want to keep are
close. A second (or more) application is often needed for established
poison ivy plants.
Old 31-05-2009, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

It's true that RoundUp should be used on the plant when its leaves are
out in full. But, you can also just cut the vines down to ground
level and pull the rest of them out of the ground. Getting rid of the
underground roots is the best way to keep it from growing back. If
you are allergic to poison ivy, get somebody else to do it or else use
a pair of good work gloves and keep your arms well covered. Ditto for
the brambles.

--
RK77

Old 01-06-2009, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

"ctlady" wrote:

It's true that RoundUp should be used on the plant when its leaves are
out in full. But, you can also just cut the vines down to ground
level and pull the rest of them out of the ground. Getting rid of the
underground roots is the best way to keep it from growing back. If
you are allergic to poison ivy, get somebody else to do it or else use
a pair of good work gloves and keep your arms well covered. Ditto for
the brambles.

Roundup is only temporary. Pulling weeds is only temporary. Unless one
cultivates that land to grow something else, like a lawn and/or flower beds,
or otherwise covers it with some impermeable matter such as paving then it
won't be too very long after the pulling and/or defoliating that the kinds
of offending vegetation that originally established itself will reestablish
itself, and probably with a vengence now that the ground is somewhat broken
up. Unless one has some use in mind for that land then they may as well
leave it as is... at least the critters can enjoy it... poison ivy and
brambles are not necessarily a bad thing, not if you're a song bird, a
rabbit, or a chipmunk.

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Killing and removing Poison Ivy. Danny Gardening 6 14-05-2006 09:51 PM
Poison ivy and ponds Galen Hekhuis Ponds 25 14-06-2005 03:43 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM