Old 14-05-2006, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Danny

Default Killing and removing Poison Ivy.

Folks would appreciate any recommendations be that products or methods for
getting rid of Poison Ivy in my back yard, its gotten into the ground
cover....

Thanks

Old 14-05-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ether Jones

Put some old pants and and old pair of machine-washable shoes.
Long-sleve shirt and gloves. Take an artist's brush and a cupful of
full-strength (48%) glyphosate, and venture forth into the ground cover
to paint the poison ivy leaves.

Immediately throw all the clothes into the washer when you're done.

Wait 6 weeks and venture forth again to round up any you missed the
first time.

Old 14-05-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

In article .com,
"Ether Jones" wrote:

Put some old pants and and old pair of machine-washable shoes.
Long-sleve shirt and gloves.

Immediately throw all the clothes into the washer when you're done.

Sound advice!

I'd add take a shower.

I pull poison ivy by hand. Real slow as to not leave roots about.
Tedious, but I keep an eye out to reduce the work. I then bury the
plants I pulled a foot down. Done every year this is manageable.

Wait 6 weeks and venture forth again to round up any you missed the
first time.

Sound advice!

Bill

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 14-05-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
axemanchris

"Danny" wrote in message
Folks would appreciate any recommendations be that products or methods for
getting rid of Poison Ivy in my back yard, its gotten into the ground
cover....

Thanks

Whatever you do, DO NOT BURN IT!

Jacqui

Old 14-05-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Another tip is that if you come in contact with poison ivy when you are
done put rubbing alcohol on the exposed skin. That will take all of the
oil off the skin You must shower within 12 hours to be completly safe.
Oh and do not put rubbing alcohol on before you work with poison ivy.
It will be ten time worse if you get the oil on your skin.
Chuckie

Old 14-05-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Chuckie wrote:
Another tip is that if you come in contact with poison ivy when you are
done put rubbing alcohol on the exposed skin. That will take all of the
oil off the skin. You must shower within 12 hours to be completly safe.
Oh and do not put rubbing alcohol on before you work with poison ivy.
It will be ten time worse if you get the oil on your skin.
Chuckie

Good tip but I would shorten the shower time to within 3 hours of
working around poison ivy.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening Since 1969

Old 14-05-2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Baron

"Danny" wrote in message
Folks would appreciate any recommendations be that products or methods for
getting rid of Poison Ivy in my back yard, its gotten into the ground
cover....

Thanks

Check out the "You Bet Your Garden" website. Follow the directions
there and you will have 100% success. Basically, you kill the poison ivy
with super strong vinegar. This is NOT the stuff you buy at the
supermarket. I recommended it to a friend and he swears he could actually
see the ivy dying. If the soil isn't ready for plantings of your choice
after all the ivy has died, you just bring the pH back with some limestone.

Good Luck.

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
Brambles and Poison Ivy RK77 Gardening 3 01-06-2009 12:01 AM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison ivy and ponds Galen Hekhuis Ponds 25 14-06-2005 03:43 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM