Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Registered User

Default Brown Larvae That Move When Touched!

Hi,

This is a strange one and I would love to find out what I have...

I have often found in the earth of my back garden these small reddish brown larvae/ coocoon type things. They are about 3cm long and around the size of a cashew nut. They are straight in shape like a bullet (but with a rounded end, not flat) and at one end is a point.

When I pick one up the pointed end rotates round on its own like something is alive in there! I put it down and it remains still. I cannot feel anything moving about inside. I remember opening one a while ago but all that was inside appeared to be yellowy snotty mess with no legs, tissue or distinguishable parts.

Any ideas on what they are, please?

Stuart
Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

stuu3270 wrote:
Hi,

This is a strange one and I would love to find out what I have...

I have often found in the earth of my back garden these small reddish
brown larvae/ coocoon type things. They are about 3cm long and around
the size of a cashew nut. They are straight in shape like a bullet (but
with a rounded end, not flat) and at one end is a point.

When I pick one up the pointed end rotates round on its own like
something is alive in there! I put it down and it remains still. I
cannot feel anything moving about inside. I remember opening one a
while ago but all that was inside appeared to be yellowy snotty mess
with no legs, tissue or distinguishable parts.

Any ideas on what they are, please?

Stuart

Sounds like the pupae stage of a cutworm or maybe a Junebug. The one
you opened up probably was not very far along in its metamorphosis.

Bob