Old 23-05-2005, 10:55 PM
keith ;-\)

Default potatoe growth i think touched by frost?

I have been earthing up my spuds ,but the growth is that fast I am running
out of soil to earth up with!!I went on holiday last week ,came back to
parts of the tops being brownish & crispy.Is this the cause of frost & will
the crop be o.k.
I think we may have had a touch of frost when I was away?

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Old 24-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Neil Tonks

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
I have been earthing up my spuds ,but the growth is that fast I am running
out of soil to earth up with!!I went on holiday last week ,came back to
parts of the tops being brownish & crispy.Is this the cause of frost &
will
the crop be o.k.
I think we may have had a touch of frost when I was away?

--
Thanks Keith,Nottingham,England,UK.

Yes, we had a frost around these parts last week (I live near Melton
Mowbray) so that's what's happened to your spuds.

They should be OK - there will be plenty of shoots underground if you've
been earthing up. In any case, probably only some of the leaves have been
damaged.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old 24-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Larry Stoter

keith ;-) wrote:

I have been earthing up my spuds ,but the growth is that fast I am running
out of soil to earth up with!!I went on holiday last week ,came back to
parts of the tops being brownish & crispy.Is this the cause of frost & will
the crop be o.k.
I think we may have had a touch of frost when I was away?

Our potatos (Beds/Herts border) were caught by frost about 10 days ago.
Limp then brown leaves. Fortunately only the tips were damaged and
following the torrential showers of the last week or so, the potatos are
now pushing out new leaves all over the place.

The same frost also nipped the Mulberry tree, just as the buds were
breaking.
--
Larry Stoter