Old 07-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Registered User

Unhappy tips of leaves of pyracantha going brown

Hi,

I am in UK. Been searching internet/forums for some advice. Here are 2 photos of my pyracantha orange glow that has in the last month developed browning of the tips of leaves. Any advice? The plant is in a pot under the eaves of the house, so I water/feed it myself. It already has food granules mixed with the compost but I give it plant food every 2 weeks. I water it thoroughly twice a week. I repotted it last weekend and the roots have barely grown since a year ago so it fits the pot nicely.

I am distressed! Any advice appreciated.

http://www.ruperta.plus.com/pyracant...leaves_002.jpg

http://www.ruperta.plus.com/pyracant...leaves_001.jpg
Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby_s View Post
Hi,

II water it thoroughly twice a week. I repotted it last weekend and the roots have barely grown since a year ago so it fits the pot nicely.

I am distressed! Any advice appreciated.

http://www.ruperta.plus.com/pyracant...leaves_002.jpg

http://www.ruperta.plus.com/pyracant...leaves_001.jpg

Hi there, I'm new on the forum but a reasonably experienced gardener with two very healthy pyracanthas, including the popular 'Mohave.'

It sounds to me as if despite your watering, the plant is not getting enough water. This may be counter-intuitive, but it is possible. Pyracanthas are in the rose family and they are very thirsty, especially in containers.

In well-managed borders with good soil, they develop extensive root systems and on some aspects, therefore appear to do with little water in the short term.

If I were you, I would carefully tap the sides of the container and remove the entire plant to inspect the rootball. It may be that you find it is very densely packed, preventing water retention in the container and, subsequently, uptake in the plant.

If this is the case, soak the rootball thorougly for an hour, then transplant in a bigger pot, backfilled with a mixture of something like perlite, compost and garden loam.

See how you get on.